Groove's new lounge with floating wall build

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by groove, Jul 17, 2007.

1. fangface666

fangface666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yep, as wese007 suggests, home easy dimmable plug, thats what I've used, works a treat :smashin:
    [​IMG]

Fully dimmable

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOTE:
    Work in progress, cardboard border just added for an idea of the effect, Many thanks to Groove for the inspiration :smashin:

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
  3. rcoundon

rcoundon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Do you happen to have the measurements for the cabinets? The one I'm interested in is the size of the open gap on the top shelf becuase I'd like to put an Onkyo 875 in it and the Ikea website doesn't list the full dimensions.

Cheers

4. Oily

Oily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I've just shown this floating wall idea to my missis and she wants me to build one in our front room. :thumbsup:

Hats off to you Groove,a job well planned and executed :smashin:

So i've got to move this little lot now after making this av rack from scratch:(

ps,read the whole thread but couldn't see where you put your rear speakers :confused:

Attached Files:

• TV.jpg
      TV.jpg
      Size:
      73.4 KB
      Views:
  5. diggler46

diggler46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Is that a white sky high def box?

6. tankrs

tankrs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Gap for top shelf is 15.8mm
    The other sizes are here post 306

Tankrs

7. Deeez Nuuutz

Deeez Nuuutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Hey Groove, I noticed in one of your pics you've got a black extension block for all your plugs on post no. 99. Could you tell me where you got it from or where i can get one from? I can't find one anywhere... Is is Surge prtected also?

Thanks,

Tony

8. css_jay99

css_jay99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Groove,

i am thinking of doing something similar,

What is the viewing distance of your TV from the two sofas in your lounge?

cheers

9. Sabotaj

Sabotaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Great work there groove :thumbsup:

I've got the living area to decorate after the holidays. But as I'm on a budget to buy and install a 5.1 system and decorate, I'll have to wait with putting a floating up, but I might add one in the future.

I was wondering, I've got an Onkyo 876 Amp with the dimensions H19 x W43 x D46. Would that fit the BESTÅ JÄGRA TV Bench?

10. chrisfoster1971

chrisfoster1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is that an LG 42rxp11 I think ??

If so are you getting green snow problems, getting really hacked off with mine.

11. Dandle

Dandle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got the Besta Jagra benches just before xmas. The shelf has a height of 156mm so you will be pushed to get any amp to fit in there and will leave very little space for cooling. I'm going to not fit one of the drawers out of the three units i have and fit the amp into that space. That gives me an area of H195mm, W545mm and depth back to the wall of 600mm for the amp to sit in. Then i'll cut out the shelf above that drawer and paint the edges black to give the amp some breathing space. If its cut far enough back you wont see it and it will leave an area at the front to put my squeezebox on.

12. tankrs

tankrs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    For your info this nearly the same as i have done. However there is no need to cut the shelf above. I have cut out an area just smaller than my amp (Sony 3300es) in the backboard to allow for connections.
    I have had no problems with overheating, and I still have use of the shelf above for PS3

Tankrs

13. kumack

kumack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Did the exact same thing except even less of a gap at the back, 1 month later and no problems with over heating. You'll notice that when the drawer is removed the panels on the side are exposed and the inside panel is just chipboard.

To hide this I used the drawer front to cover the chipboard and apart from widening the divider between the drawers you wouldnt really notice it.

I post pics later if ya want to see. Travelled 180 miles to ikea and there was only one jagra bench left and even though there was about 50 on the shelf above they wouldnt take one down so now I have to go back to belfast 360 mile round trip just for a table, I must be mad !

14. tract0rb0y

tract0rb0y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Groove, Great job!
    One thing, has anyone attempted making the front wall with plasterboard and plastering it?
    Do you think it would work?

Cheers

15. Nemeus

Nemeus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, an inspiring installation Groove! Most impressed.

Having just wall mounted my TV this week, I was very pleased with myself... until I saw yours. However, having a very troublesome 15 month old, who loves pressing buttons, I will wait before I do a project like this.

16. Jamie S23

Jamie S23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Excellent read, cheers

17. markkany

markkany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :suicide: complete nightmare. bought three of these units, best jarga brown/black, a few months ago only now set them up. I was looking to buy a denon 1909/ sony 820 or onyko 606. I now realise none of them will fit in the gap.

Dont really want to stick one in a drawer space, i like to see the amp.

Any one any recommendations on an amp in the 300 pound bracket that will fit? any of you who have your amps in the space above the drawer, can you post what amp please. thanks.

18. Dandle

Dandle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't fit it in the drawer, just dont fit the drawer so the amp sits flush with the other drawers.

19. markkany

markkany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I see what you mean Dandle, but i would rather keep the facia look of the units the same, thanks anyway.

Anybody else? amps that is lol.

20. Mastersize

Mastersize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groove, this is awsome men...

I am from Portugal and i haven't seen anything like that in all country

Can you explain me how do you have the speakers so long from amplifier without see any cable, just that tiny bit??

I would love to mount a sound sistem in my living room bu cables are a huge problem...

Cheers dude...

Congratulations for your hard e gorgeous work

And sorry for my bad English

21. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hey guys.....cant beleive this thread is still going ! Sorry for the lack of responses :(

With regards to the amp size, the only other one I know of that would fit without modification to the unit would be - Yamaha DSP-AX763 Black , only because its the newer version of the one I have. I had to take the feet off , and it is a really tight fit , but its been in there , nearly 18 months and Ive never had a day of trouble with it overheating.

A bit restrictive if you want a new bigger amp though , and I'd be interested to see pics of anyone who has gone the 'remove the drawer' route as Ill be due an upgrade at some point in the future.

@Mastersize - if you look through the whole thread you should be able to see where I sunk all the cables into the walls ( then along behind the coving ) and down behind the false panel to the amp.

@Everyone else ive missed....sorry , shout again if you still need any answers and ill see if i can hemp ( remember ;-) )

Not much has changed since the build , no cracking on the panels as some have reported, rope lights still working perfectly ( although they have dimmed a bit with age ). But as i mounted them in the proper holder , im just going to buy another length when they need replacing , pull the old one out , swap the plug over , and back to full brightness. Just gotta think of them as a light bulbs that will need replacing every couple of years I suppose.

The DVD player is long gone , replaced with a dedicated HTPC in an Antec Fusion case, running off a media server with 3TB of storage in the loft. In fact I got the Media Centre bug so bad there are now 4 of them in the house all running off the server , running a combo of Vista Media Centre, My Movies and My TV. ( Living Room, Master Bedroom, Daughters Bedroom and my 'Den' ). All of our media/films/photos/music is now avaialble to anyone anywhere... ( Using My Movies parental restrictions and categories correctly has allowed me to ensure only suitable 'material' is shown on each one though !! )

Oh and the white xbox went wrong ( again ) so replaced that with an Elite to try and keep everything Black/Dark grey in the cabinets.....just the amp to go now.

But above all that ive just been enjoying it :clap:

22. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    Wowza, the Guru has returned to his thread! :thumbsup:

Gotta be one of the longest threads on this forumum without a specific backing of supporters (ie like certain "owners" threads etc)

23. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hey , Grangey, just been checking out your thread....nice work fella. Cant wait to see what twist you have in mind !

It really amazes me this thread isnt dead and buried.....but judging by the amount of variations of FW's on here now its obviously still helping people somehow.

Quite humbling really........

24. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    Thanks mate, the real difference is going to be put on hold for a while unfortunatly, I updated my thread just after you posted that so you'll see what I originally had in mind!

Yea well the fact that this is on the "How to's" Sticky thingy at the top of the page obviously encourages visits and comments, as by far this is the best FW How To thread I have seen :thumbsup:

25. papa_lazarou

papa_lazarou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi everyone, thought i'd put a question on here as well as the main board as it seems to be the thread that most people keep coming back to. After months of deliberating and procrastinating I've finally decided to get on and blatantly plagiarise Groove's floating wall idea. The main reason being that i've just taken delivery of a new Sharp 46" LCD!

The question is about my fixings, my wall seems to be made up of a layer of plasterboard then I think a 15mm cavity then thermalite block followed by the main cavity then the outside layer of I presume blockwork.

Has anybody come across the same kind of wall, it's a barratts one so I wan't to make sure my floating wall is the sturdiest part of the building!!:D

What would be the best way of fitting my wooden frame to the wall? I was thinking just long enough rawl plugs and screws to go right into the thermalites would be okay?

Secondly what would you suggest for fixings for the actual TV bracket? I'd like to use the anchor bolts things but not sure whether they will be okay in thermalite blocks?

Any suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Papa.

26. tankrs

tankrs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Groove,
    Is this what you wanted to see?
    This pic has been taken at night, so flash has obscured the effect of ropelight (replaced after 4 months because of turning brown and becoming to dim).
    The amp is a Sony 3300es
    vcm_s_kf_repr_640x480.jpg

27. 0nimushi

0nimushi
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hey Groove, I used this range last summer to do an install. I certainly didn't put as much effort in as you though!

Old setup

http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...-0nimushi-sitting-room-home-cinema-setup.html

[​IMG]

Problem is I've just upgraded all my kit and the Pio Amp won't fit in the besta's now :mad: Means I have to change the whole lot.

I'm having a nightmare trying to find something that looks as good as the besta.

Ideally I want real wood now as that fibre/foil stuff is nasty! Problem is solid wood will be too heavy to wall mount.

The search goes on ........................... and until I find something this is the mess I'm left with :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  28. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    tankrs...that looks sweet !

How did you finish the inside of the drawer space ? Looks the same from the photo as the finished surfaces, but on mine its horrible looking chipboard....

@0nimushi....niiiice....are they Besta's ? With doors ?

29. 0nimushi

0nimushi
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    They're just the basic besta cabinets with matching doors. Wall mounted the lot and they did me fine until I got the amp.

30. tankrs

tankrs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Groove,
    Sorry to disappoint you, but it's not finished.
    We were going to get the brown units, but when we looked at them in ikea, we realized that the centre support without one draw would look awful. When we saw the beech units we thought that with the amp in place, being black it would not show as much. I'm glad to say we were right.
    We have had it about 9 months and no one thats been here has even noticed it.
    While i'm on here i must thank you. Without your original thread i would never have thought about doing this.
    As somebody on here has said before, there are loads of floating walls on here, but not where I live. It's a talking point, that's for sure.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tankrs