1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grond loop / Earth loop hum from Sky / TV

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by consciouspnm, Jan 14, 2005.

1. consciouspnm

consciouspnm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Linn AV system and I'm getting a lot of hum from the speakers. After a bit of investigation I've narrowed it down to the SKY coax feeds and the TV aerial coax feed. If I disconnect these the hum goes away. Given that ground loops occur when equipment is connected to different mains supplies, how do I fix this as both Sky and the TV aerial is supplied via a distribution system which is powered by the 'landlords' supply. Is there an earth fault in the distribution system?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You should only have one earth connection on your system, and that is usually through the amp. It looks like your aerial system is connected to ground somewhere, and (since the TV and Sky box chassis will be connected together via the interconnects) it is forming an earth loop in conjunction with your amp earth.

3. consciouspnm

consciouspnm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CD player, the Plasma, the Av-Processor, the 5 channel amp and the subwoofer have earth leads. In fact unplugging the plasma increases the hum. I think it's more likely the distribution system is not earthed properly.