greyer with the mT1z

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ROne, Feb 7, 2001.

1. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I recently followed fullabeer's instructions for a grey screen. I have now dropped down to ICE STORM 3, witch is quite a hefty grey.

The thing is I have a 95% dark room in the day - using blackout curtains. So this drop may not effect everybody else the same especially those with some ambient light.

The difference is staggering - I have very impressive blacks now, if you hold up a white cloth at the side of the screen you can't understand why you would every have bothered with a white one.

The colours are richer and the detail in dark scenes looks almost TV black.

However there is a minor loss of brightness which has subdued the picture somewhat but with some careful eaking of the controls you can get a comfortable setting.

Before all these changes I was always messing about the with the picture and couldn't really watch the film but now I feel I could demo pretty much anything without resorting to Toy Story II.

I am interested in this sanyo but for me the limited zoom would be a problem as I may not be able to acheive the correct throw I have with my toshiba.

Will put some pictures up soon.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean you already own the Toshiba MT1 but are considering changing to the Sanyo PLV30?

3. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No i am not considering the sanyo, I have only just got my toshiba, but people to be painting it out to be better than the toshiba which is interesting because nobody actually seems to have seen it yet ...

However I would like to have a go with it but I am very happy now ... see above.

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    ROne now you have had time to demo your tosh do you see some vertical lines occationaly? I have noticed this effect on dim scenes were there is patches of the same colour ie a blank wall etc (maybe this is the screen door effect can't be sure). Other than that i have NO complaints. The proof is in the pudding, I watch the film and not the image!. I am very critical about quaility vs cost and have to agree the mt1 meets all my requirements and in pure picture enjoyment, exceeds them!. But i am always open minded about new products and the new sanyo is a step in the right cost direction. Judging from those who have seen it, its a belter. I think most people in the market for a budget projector would agree the hardest thing is finding somewhere to demo lots of projectors together. I just trusted a couple of reviews and bit the bullet, luck rather the wiseness got me a great projector. In the future when it is time to upgrade i hope the demo situation has improved.....

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

5. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Fullabeer,

I do see some vertical lines very occasionally although I am not that sensitive to them. And yes you're correct, this is the pixel structure, or the gaps between the pixels. Now my screen has dropped to IS 3, I can barely see them. I sit 11.5 feet back for a 80" 4:3 diagonal. How close are you to the screen and with what size. Oh also I have masked off the letterbox with some black foam card from staples which works really well at making the screen edges disappear into the wall.

I stuck them up with blue tack and they drop down in the middle of the night and I hear them when I'm in bed and run downstairs ready to smack the person who is nicking my projector, maybe I should fix them on permanently.

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    My screen (plastered wall with mdf framing!) is 8 foot wide and i sit about 13 foot back. I will be posting the first pics of my DIY home cinema next week on Yahoo Photo page, web address to follow in a couple of days. I am currently awaiting my cinema style wilton carpet from carpet right!. I am getting withdrawal symptoms and just want the room finished. A note to anyone thinking of doing there own cinema, estimate how long it will take then treble it then add two weeks and you will be at my stage!. I can honestly see why proffesional installers charge so much. My room is very modest but the work involved is immence. Hats off to you guys (stereostereo etc). Paul.......

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less