1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grey screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mikeaitch, May 22, 2002.

1. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Just a question:

Hasn't anyone come up with a lower cost grey projection screen? It seems that lots of people have used Dulux icestorm to give better blacks and higher contrast, but what about those of us who use screens and cant afford Stewart prices??

Cant be THAT hard for screen manufacturers to duplicate the colour can it? Or isn't it that simple?

Pardon my ignorance if everybody else knows about such a screen, but all the ones I've seen cost more than my pj!:eek:

PS do these grey sceens actually work?

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not really sure why the cheap screen manufacturers have'nt brought out a grey screen which is'nt a ridiculous price. I've seen the difference between a white and grey screen with my projector and the difference is night and day. I know my screen only cost £35 or so thanks to MDF & ICESTORM but since I've gone this route the blacks are so deep its a joy to watch dark movies. On a white screen when the picture went dark, it was as though you were looking through fog!. I also believe a grey screen makes the image more 'film like' and reduces the 'digital look' of a white screen.

3. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I have a Sony HS1, and can project in near total darkness due toblackout lings on my curtains- highly recommended, btw, makes a BIG difference to the image, ,even at night! (streetlamps etc)

Is the pj still able to give decent whites, with the grey screen?

God, I sound like a Daz commercial!:blush:

I reckon any manufacturer with the good sense to make a reasonably priced grey screen would be inundated with orders. Anyone else out there agree??

4. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another solution is to use a white screen and a filter on the projector itself.

Or you could try watching movies wearing sunglasses. I know it sounds crazy but it gives the same effect.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking for a straightforward grey blackout blind. I saw menthioned the other week someone who bought one for £150 and it did a great job - I meant to follow it up but forgot!:rolleyes:

I reckon this could be the best solution for the price - and when I get round to it I will be getting one (the difficulty I've had so far is size - plenty out there about 6ft - 7ft wide.)

I'm running on a painted wall which is great at the mo - fits in with the room's colourscheme which is therefore wife friendly!

:cool:

6. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I tried a photography filter before, but it seemed to give a slight green tinge to everything. what filters can be used, and if they work, can't all manufacturers just tint the lenses to remedy the lack of black level on all lcd pjs?

The great thing about blackout lining is the allow your proper colour of curtain to be used- very wife friendly!,and can be any size you like. Some places ,like Dunhelm, will even make up the curtains, blinds or just the lings for you at low cost. The linings are white, btw- I thought they'd have to be black!!:blush:

7. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody please help me,

I live in Australia and Duluxe here CANNOT help me with IceStorm 6. I am all ready to paint my wall, but they dont know what it is (they are owned by different people).

If I get a different light grey and it is JUST SLIGHTLY off will it make a huge difference ?

And I would be much abiliged if somebody could work out how to get me a look at the coluor over the cmoputer, so I can get them to scan it and decode the coluor and make it up for me ?

Please Help !

8. mark silvester

mark silvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I bought two heavy duty blackout linings approx 90" wide.

They have a slight rubbery feel - grey on one side White on the other.

One I use as a blackout curtain....the other I use as a screen
    works brilliantly.

I have just attached a baton to the top and bottom and when not in use I roll it up (using the bottom baton and hook the whole
    thing from the ceiling.

Local shop supplied total cost - £24!

I have tripod screens where the material is inferior to these blackout curtains.

Best:

Mark

9. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go into your local DIY store which can mix up paints (Dulux) then they should have a large colour chart with various shades of colour. Find the one with a greyscale and hopefully it might be called ICESTORM 1 (verydark) to ICESTORM 6 (light grey). If it's called something else in Australia you could email the UK Dulux customer care and ask them for the 'exact colour information' so that you could pass it on to Dulux Australia?. There is no point someone taking a picture of ICESTORM paint in the UK as cameras will not make an exact representation of the true colour of the paint. To be honest as long as its light grey in colour then the paint should be fine.

Also my advice is to use

ICESTORM 6 + HOYA FLC filter with 600 lumen or less projector
    ICESTORM 5 + HOYA FLC filter with 700 lumen or more projector

However buying a small 60" piece of MDF wood and painting that would be a good test for blacks etc.

10. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yes the paint has to be MATT finish!!

11. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    craig_nike

pm me your address and i`ll post over the colour card thing from the rack- this will give you the icestorm colours

rob

12. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mikeaitch or Mark S
    Hi guy could you help me out? I'm looking for blackout lining for my curtians and I not shaw were to get it from.

Thanks
    Samir
    PJ coming soon...
    :)

13. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

14. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blackout material available from all good fabric/material shops - mine cost £3.50 per metre length. it is 4.5 foot wide

hope this helps

rob

15. mark silvester

mark silvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Black out linings

16. mark silvester

mark silvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a digital phot taken from my approx..8ft by 4ft blackout sheet..

This projector is a 3M - made by Hitachi - 8640.

Attached Files:

17. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig,

Trying to get someone to duplicate a colour shade on a computer is a waste of time as shades will vary depending on graphics card, monitor and resolution.

I used a matt grey paint which was in between icestorm 5 & 6. The grey had a more vibrant feel to it and I am very impressed with the picture.

My advice ... like someone has already mentioned ... experiment with different shades on your wall using a small area.

Pip

18. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to those who replied to my Dulux Australia troubles.

Lokos like I'll have it fixed soon thanks.
    I appreciate your help.