1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

grey on 2.35:1 dvds

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zamwessell, Jun 20, 2004.

1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I was told by a retailer that when you watch a 2.35:1 widescreen dvd on a projector screen that you still get a grey 'area' appear on the screen as the black above and below the image do not completely fill it.

I have seen some demos of movies and never noticed this....is it true?

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Yes its true :(
    I get around this by hanging boards with black velvit attached to them where the black (grey) bands are projected.

You can buy a screen which changes its aspect ratio but these are very expensive.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Kinda - lamp projectors can't 'project' black, as some light leakage still comes out of the lens, so this ends up as a very dark grey with some projectors. Depending on how good the projector is, depends on how black or grey the black bars look.

Currently, only CRT projectors can produce true black, but with regards to in-scene black areas, DLP projectors can exceed that of CRT due to the lens light scatter that CRTs suffer from. So you have to decide which is more important - pure black when a scene has no light at all (quite rare), or better black when a scene has some black areas within it (more usual).

HTH

Gary.

4. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    My dealer says you see no grey on true anamorphic 2.35:1 dvds....if this is true then i am a happy bunny.

Just have to decide which projector now...the Screenplay 7205 may take over the number 1 spot on my wishlist which is currently the SHARP Z12000..

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Best thing for you to do is to get demoing!

The Sharp is meant to be a great projector so you won't be dissaponted there I'm sure. I'll be interested in your comments regarding both grey/black bars, and the comparison of the pjs you get to see though.

Gary.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Given that a widescreen projector (or a TV for that matter) has an aspect ratio that is fixed at 16x9 (*) and that films are made for the cinema with many various different aspect ratios, many of which are wider than 16x9, there will, on such films, be a plain area above and below the active part of the image.

The plain area will be mastered onto the disc as black. This plain black area is part of the signal encoded onto the disc; it is the only way to fit a wider than widescreen film into a fixed rectangular shape.

As to how it appears on-screen - it will depend on ambient lighting, the ability of the projector (or TV) to display no light where black should be, and so on.

In a totally dark environment, with dark decor, a properly adjusted CRT projector will project nothing in these areas and so they will be black. To varying degrees, DLP and LCD projectors will actually project a small amount of light in these areas because they are both incapable of throwing no light at all; DLPs are better than LCDs in this respect. This small amount of residual light will appear as grey, typically.

That is what the retailer is talking about, I guess.

(*) actually some LCD TVs are 15x9, but that's another story).

7. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Yes,i agree.

In a totally blacked out room i should have no real issues with the black/grey borders using a DLP projector.

At first i thought the dealer meant that you still see an extra grey band above and below the borders - as if the total anamorphic image including the black/grey borders did not 'fill' a projector screen.

I thought it was odd as i had demoed a few 2.35:1 dvds and never noticed any extra grey band visible - just the black/grey area that is naturally visible on those dvds of that aspect ratio...the same size that you see on a CRT.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your comments.

8. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92

I will let you know how i get on.

My dealer is going to bring the Sharp and the Screenplay 7205 round once i have my screen installed.

I have seen the Sharp going for £5700 so i am really interested to see how they compare.I am also considering the Optoma Themescene H77 too...

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    For a half decent viewing, you should use Avia or Video Essentials to set up the white and black levels of each projector for your DVD player. Having the wrong (too high) brightness level can mean elevated black level and visible artefacts. Avia is designed for NTSC, and VE for PAL.

The THX Optimiser will work to a point - it's designed for use with the DVD it's on, so can't be used as a blanket calibration.

Gary.