Grey cotton sheet over DIY BOC screen...

Houldey

Hi,

I have recently built a DIY screen using wood and blackout clough (BOC). I was happy with it as I am rubbish at DIY. But I have come to realise that I should have a grey screen for my bright PJ with white walls.

I know I could paint black widow UK onto the cloth, but this would require much more effort that say applying a grey sheet over the top of the BOC. The BOC will stop the non-opaque sheet losing too much light (although losing some of the 1600 lumens might be good!) and the grey sheet will I assume improve the white wall evil.

Of course, maybe someone here will be able to tell me that actually this idea is the worst ever, and that from experience the PQ looks poor.

Cotton is cheap, but I thought i'd ask here first as I've already wasted enough money on various harebrained schemes regarding PJs!

By the way, I bought a rather expensive ND2 filter the other day, and it didn't seem to help the white wall wash-out much. It did obviously make the image darker, but I don't really see how this helps, and surely you could just lower the brightness setting on the PJ? You just get darker blacks and greyer whites.

Cheers,

H

martin purnell

Hi Houldey,
May I suggest you read the current thread
DIY Screen Paint - Black Widow or Dulux Grey Steel 2
because a lot of what you are asking is being answered within this section. Reflective gain comes to mind as to why I wouldn't recommend a grey cloth. You want a surface that will bounce the light back to you without any absorbtion from the material. it might work but I'm sure you'd get far better results by painting your blackout cloth!
I suppose though there is only one wat to find out and try both! People in the past have suggested "silly" ideas that actually work really well. Painting mirrors with a type of Black Widow and then using it as a screen comes to mind!
Maybe a very thin grey cloth might work!
Martin

Houldey

Hi,

Cheers for the reply. I'll give that thread a read. The only problems I have with painting it is a) it's permanent, b) it's relatively expensive (roller, paint etc.) and c) it's time-consuming.

However, like you say, a cotton sheet over BOC will still absorb some light, even if the BOC does 100% any light from passing through. I was just assuming that the absorbtion of some light was good when you have a bright PJ.

I agree I might aswell try it as cotton is very cheap, and I'll report back if by some miracle it gives me an image I am happy with :)

Thanks for your help and i'll read that other thread at some point,

H

martin purnell

I would query relatively expensive!
If you bought an expensive suit, you wouldn't then spend just a fiver on a tie! PJs are expensive and so it would make sense to get a screen that can do the PJ justice. However, like you, I would query spending £300 on a screen when you can get achieve a great effect for far cheaper!
B & Q do roller kits for about £4! This includes the tray to put your paint in! For £30 or less you will have the paint and everything else. A grey sheet is unlikely to work and so that is a fiver wasted. I agree with you that it could be time consuming (30 mins to set up, 30 mins to paint it in the garage etc, 3 hours to dry, another 30 mins for 2nd coat, 30 mins to dry, 15 mins to re-hang screen and pack everything else away) but comparing it to buying a good Beamax screen and the PJ investment, not to mention your filter, it is the best way to save money! A new screen for £300 less £30 for the paint leaves you with £270 saved which can then be used to buy lots of wine,beer and dvds over the next few weeks!
Just a thought!
Kind regards,

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom