1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grey and White screens. Difference!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TheBigApple, Nov 25, 2003.

1. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Been looking to buy a Draper Luma 92" screen for use with either a Z1 or PT AE200.

I've found the screen comes in either matt white or high definition grey for £20 more.

Does anyone know if the grey screen is for high definition projectors only, or if it would give a better picture with the projectors mentioned above.

Ta

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd stick with a matte white for either of those projectors.

3. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is that because matte white is specifically designed to work with a standard projector. :confused:

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Grey screens were originally 'invented' for use with pixed panel devices with low contrast ratios and poor blacks. This is much less of an issue with the current crop of projectors, and is not relevant at all to any of the new DLP's as they have very good black levels.

The only time I have seen a grey screen improve an image is with a Panasonic PTAE-100.

5. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ok, thanks for the info guys.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Actually Rick is wrong in this case. Grey screens are designed to aid the performance of certain types of fixed pixel projectors but to say that current DLP's etc are not aided by them is a mis-nomer.

Not all grey screens are created equal for a start.

Some like Firehawk lower black levels while at the same time aiding the effect that reflected light can have on image (ie light bouncing off ceilings and walls washing out image on screen).

Other grey screens are of benefit to low contrast, high brightness DLP and LCD units in ANY environment.

Screens, like projectors, are application specific.

The Draper grey screen is a low gain unit. It is only of benefit if you have a small screen and bright decor. Otherwise a MUCH bigger difference would come by buying a white screen and painting walls dark.

Gordon

7. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be OT slightly but :

When advising to paint walls / ceiling (etc.) dark, what colour "dark" is best ?

I have heard that even dark, coloured paints can affect the picture, how true is this ?

We will be having a matte white, gain 1.3 screen, vutec vuflex-pro material, and were initially keen to use a navy / dark blue wall colouring, and black ceiling - both in matt paint. Is this viable ?

Ian