1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greta Garbo Fans: Warner Bros have done something amazing

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Gorshin, May 13, 2005.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    "This is mind blowing stuff."

"This is truly amazing."

Calm down mate - maybe I'm missing something, but this seems to be yet another well put together Warner Signature Collection - nothing more, nothing less. Or perhaps you know something we don't?

I'm wondering have you actually seen a Garbo movie or are you just going off the "legendary" reputation and feel that such a hyperbolic over-reaction is an appropriate pose to strike? I'm a huge fan of vintage cinema as anyone who reads these threads will know, but some of this woman's movies have dated badly, to the point of many of them being virtually unwatchable.

"Ninotchka" I recall as probably being still watchable from the last time I saw these films, but many of the others have not aged well.

The work of many other "iconic" screen legends has stood the test of time and still holds up to this day, but Garbo belongs in the same "legendary" category as Rudolph Valentino and Bela Lugosi, an image and style of performance that was, well, let's be charitable and say "of it's time". Comes across today as stagey, quaintly mannered and slightly risible, more so than many of their contemporaries.

Big news in their heyday, but have not weathered well.

I've bought all of the excellent Warner Signature collections to date but this is one I'll be passing on, I think.

As to "The best looking woman of all time?" - you really do need to get out more...

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
  4. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having a laugh are we? Ridiculous comments all. All films in this collection average over 7 on imdb. Methinks they have 'weathered' well.

5. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031725/ratings :rolleyes:

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Jeez - how did we know that the term "IMDB" would somehow pop up in your reply! :rotfl:

Which pretty much answers the question "...have you actually seen a Garbo movie...?" We'll take it as a "no" then. As usual, you are letting the IMDB do your thinking for you.

Interesting that you post a link to the rating for "Ninotchka". Pretty pointless really, bearing in mind my comment "Ninotchka" I recall as probably being still watchable from the last time I saw these films..." But thanks for illustrating my point for me anyway. :smashin:

Which is something for you to illustrate with something a tad more substantial than a mere de facto statement to that effect. Besides, they are comments based on actually having seen (and at one time owned many of) the movies in question, and not having the website that has been described as "...the number one waste of time for American High School kids..." make my decision for me. :D

Are you really so insecure in your own opinions that you need the comfort and validation of numbers to reassure you? Try analysing the quality of the opinion rather than the quantity. Have you actually read the notice boards on the IMDB and seen the type of sub-literate pond life that posts on it? Not the kind of "numbers" I'd like to have on my side if I was trying to maintain any degree of credibility in a debate.

Try an approach slightly more original and mature than "Lots of people like it so there!" It was a tired and cliched non-argument long before these forums were even born.

To illustrate the sheer stupidity and futility of "the numbers game" as an argument, let me remind you of a few statements you made in earlier posts.

With reference to Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Phantom of the Opera", you stated:

Well that movie, like Garbo, scores higher than 7 on the IMDB, therefore ( using your rule-of thumb) it must equally be a "...shame..." about old Greta's movies too.

Looked at a few Garbo movie scores on the IMDB and then checked the scores on "Zombi 2" and "Friday the 13th". The Garbo movies only manage score around about 1 or so point higher (and indeed a few score lower) than "Zombi 2", and only manage around 1.5 or so higher than "Friday the 13th".

So, using your yardstick of the IMDB as some kind of unimpeachable oracle of cinematic taste, Garbo's movies rate only slightly better (or in some cases worse) than "...not really rated very highly..." or just a notch-and-a bit ahead of "...plain old ****".

God - sometimes it's too easy... :devil:

8. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Unusual to see a row between senior members. Halliwell, who takes less of an anorak approach to movies than IMDB, awards Ninotchka three stars out of a possible four and describes it as a "sparkling comedy"..."delicate pointing and hilarious character comedy sustain this version perfectly until the last half-hour, when it certainly sags; but it remains a favourite Hollywood example of this genre." I must say it's one of my personal favourites and I've been longing for a DVD issue. Thanks for the good news Gorshin. Garbo is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful women of all time but of course the most beautiful woman in the world is currently cleaning out the oven in the kitchen next door.

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    There's no denying she is beautiful. Although it should be known that I'm easily pleased! :D

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yup - Good old Leslie Haliwell was renowned for his rather "unique" views on movies.

One of his more "unique" remarks back in the early '80s was that no really great movies had ever been made in colour. :rolleyes:

Typical Bolton lad, eh? ;)

You've hit the nail bang on the head there Bernard. That's exactly what it is - good news for anyone waiting for these releases. And no doubt Warners will do their usual first-class presentation and packaging, and make this a great value and must-have purchase for many.

It's just that I felt a little reality check was required to counter the hysterical "This is truly amazing." and "This is mind-blowing stuff." nonsense of the first post.

I mean really! :rolleyes:

I eat, breathe and sleep movies and I have done so since about the age of 12, but I cannot think of any DVD release that I could justify applying the aforementioned hyperbolae to. Utter nonsense...

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Who would have thought that a thread dominated by Gorshin and the_pauley would end up as a slanging match!?! :rolleyes:

Is it not possible to discuss films without telling people what they should and shouldn't be thinking? Let's keep it civilised eh chaps...

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Slanging match?!?! Moi?

Lexie you wound me... :devil: ;)

13. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Where's your passion? :rolleyes:

14. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you really that negative, cynical and critical. Listen: I am passionate about dvds and films. I am VERY EXCITED about this dvd set. Positivity.

15. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have never seen a Garbo movie. What do you think of, say, The Third Man or Battleship Potemkin? Are they even 'watchable' for you?

16. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    'The analyst'

17. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure Greta can rest easy knowing you give 'Ninotchka' your 'watchable' rating. Could you suggest why/how many of her films have not aged well, or are you just a wind-up merchant?

18. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Because I don't over-react and verge on hysteria you presume I have no passion for film?

Well using your favourite criterion -quantification as justification- I must be at least 2.5 more times passionate than you. You have in a previous post offered the size of your DVD collection as evidence of your passion. Therefore as mine is getting on to 2.5 times the size of yours, then I must be 2.5 times more passionate. :D But that's using your version of logic and reasoning to answer the question. I'll now give you a proper answer.

Passion like many other emotions is relative to the object of said passion. We are talking about a DVD release. It will be a collection of Garbo's movies, presented, no doubt, in Warner's usual superb fashion. This could be reason for many fans of these movies to be excited. Why pray tell is this "...mind blowing stuff..." ? I bought the Hitchcock Signature Collection last year. It was one of my most anticipated DVD purchases ever. I was delighted and excited by it. My mind was not blown. I could get my mind round it quite easily - it was an exciting DVD release that I could not wait to get my hands on, nothing more.

"...mind blowing..." and "...truly amazing..." are terms I would reserve for, say, the discoveries of Galileo, a cure for cancer, landing a man on the moon, eradication of famine, the arrival of world peace, contact with an alien civilization, etc.

Pity the limited horizons of a mind that is "blown" by the release of a movie on DVD.

I can be and indeed I am passionate about movies. But that doesn't mean I have to abandon all sense of proportion and perspective, or become divorced from reality because of that passion.

Hmm. This remark speaks volumes. Let me get this straight - you've never actually seen a Garbo movie, yet you are "VERY EXCITED" (with capital letters, even) about this release. Pray tell, what emotion do you reserve for the release of something that you actually like? A fainting spell or a seizure of some sort?

As to the post you were refering to in the above quoted passage, the post in question answered / addressed points raised by your previous posts. It also raised perfectly valid points about the futility of reliance on the IMDB scoring system as a means of conducting a debate on the merits of a film.

Note that your reply to the post chooses not to answer any of the questions posed and completely avoids the issues raised. It simply asks another question. One which -unlike you- I will have the courtesy to answer. Yes, I can be negative, cynical and critical - when a situation warrants any of the aforementioned. The way you pose the question seems to imply that these attributes can only be seen as negatives. Trust me, that is not the case. ;)

Eminently so. Superb films and infinitely more watchable than most of Garbo's output I might add. Indeed when I have lectured on the subject of Film Narrative "Potemkin" is the first film I would screen for my students. :smoke:

Let me send you a newsflash Gorshin. You are not the only person who has heard of or owned these films. I've owned these and thousands of others for twenty odd years on VHS and now on DVD. I'm just emotionally secure enough within myself that I don't need to announce it to the membership of the forums every second post.

Indeed many people have actually sought out / discovered these works and developed their understanding and appreciation of films, without the handy shortcut of an internet based scoring system to make up their minds for them. Indeed some of us felt enough "passion" (ahem!) for film throughout our childhood and adolescence, that we converted it into years of formal study of the subject, for some of us even leading to employment related to our "passion". Nowdays it seems some think that all you need do is check the IMDB rating, order the title from DVD Soon and "hey presto" - instant movie expert and paragon of cinematic taste.

Hope that answers your question. ;)

Nah. Only ever studied 26 units of Psychology, but thanks for the compliment.

Can I ask you something? Why did you feel the need to reproduce an entire (quite lengthy) post twice within a screen inch of each other? Especially puzzling as you don't refer to any specific points in the post, nor do you attempt to answer any of the questions raised. A terrible waste of bandwidth... :nono:

If you'd being paying attention, you'd have noticed that I do precisely that in my first post. If, however, you require more detailed analysis / opinion, that would require a lecture, and I'm afraid I have to get paid for that. However, should you wish to pay the going rate of £28 per hour, I'd be glad to throw together 20,000 words during the summer break.

Better still - here's another option. Try actually watching the films and make your own mind up. :D

I'll finish with this for the members of the forum to consider.

Next time you see Gorshin in his role as self-appointed arbiter of good taste on the forums, recommending -nay, virtually ordering- you to buy a movie, with his accompanying hyperbolae and "passion", remember what he said about the Garbo collection:

And then in the light of the above consider his follow-up statement to those two opinions:
    'Nuff said, eh?

:hiya:

19. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you get off on stuff like this? Seriously though, you've made me very unhappy. You try to suggest that you are ahead of me in every way. I'm just very excited about this dvd release. What is your problem with that? You really should read your previous post and feel ashamed at your hurtful comments. The harder you try to prove your intelligence (superiority) the more you look like a [swearing edited by Mod. Please refrain from trying to circumvent the swear word filter in future, it is there for a reason]. Again, I feel passionately about this dvd release. It is mind blowing and amazing for peopl, like me, who have craved to see these films. Just stop trying to be Mr clever clogs. :lease:

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Come on guys, handbags down :)

If you don't, this thread will probably get closed as it's already severely off topic.

21. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    'We're not through yet' Seriously though, I'm nothing like this in real life. The Pauley is as passionate as me. Great. I bet he took ages composing his previous post 'n all :thumbsup:

22. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  23. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Indeed. Remind you of anyone? Think really hard... ;)

Like looking in a mirror, innit Gorsh? ;)

Anyway, I think everything's been said and as Tejstar says, this is severely off topic.

So to steer it back on to topic and finish on a good-humoured note, I'll leave you with my favourite Greta Garbo joke.

"Q: Why did Greta Garbo sprinkle grass seed in her hair? A: Because she wanted to be a-lawn" :D
    A riddle from Frank Gorshin (spookily enough!), "Batman", 1966.

24. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Just out of curiosity the_pauley, how old does a film have to be in your eyes to qualify as "vintage cinema"?

25. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Anything from the Lumiere Brothers up to let's say the "Classic Hollywood" period. In the general ballpark. Or thereabouts.

It's a relative term I admit - some people I'm sure would regard '50s/'60s cinema as vintage.

26. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Again, you go out of your way to be offensive. Why?