Greg Dykes plan- good bad or indifferent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FA's B-team plan is greeted with instant derision amid Greg Dyke's moves to shake up the English game - Telegraph

I can understand some of the objections from the lower league clubs but there is no doubt in my mind something does have to change otherwise England team will start consisting of players from those lower leagues and will end up being as good as Cyprus.
Academy players do need to be playing many more competitive matches and this p,an would seem a good way of going about that ,after all it works in other countries so i say bring it on for the sake of our national team

I was waiting for a thread to start on this, it's all abit political and not very fun so I expect it won't hardly get added to on here lol !!

I completely agree with la gran siete it will help the future development of English players, at the moment I think the highest a reserve team can play is still a couple of leagues lower than the conference (may be wrong).

It works in other countries and will allow teams to give their academy players a higher challenge and see if they are up to playing in the top league, without this I can see England falling down the world rankings as more and more teams in the EPL bring foreign players over.

Last edited:
Something needs to be done, either restricting big clubs buying up youngsters or allow the big teams some place to put the youngsters and folks from the fringes. Not sure how it would be controlled though, would they have to keep the same squad for the full year or would they be able to drop in and pull out players at a moment's notice?

They've obviously decided to get this in early in advance of the disappointment and investigation of the whole setup when England don't make it out of their group.

Something does need to be done though, unless of course we are happy with England being a second rate team with no hope of every winning anything. If we are, then keep going as we are doing.

They still haven't addressed the core problem.

The number of qualified coaches at the youngest age group. Arsene Wenger made the point really well yesterday. What's the point of having this B league when our structure from 8 years old onwards is all about competitions and nothing about teaching.

It frustrates me greatly that you see all these teams knocking about, winning this and that and getting medals etc but nobody is being taught and coached correctly. This only happens later.

For me, we need to address the appalling lack of FA coaches at 8 years old onwards and avoid the desire for parents and teachers alike to say, "we won this and that" and really develop talent.

This B league thing does NOT address the issue and will not make our players any better.

What is the solution Steve? A national training centre, no players able to 'sign' for a club until the age of 15 or something and all being taught a national standard? No competition until age 14+ or something? Points scored for team work and good play rather than just banging the ball in the back of the net?

The first thing is to roll out a nationwide campaign to recruit skilled coaches. Look at most of the teams being run at the ages of 8-15. They are mostly done by Dads who have the time but no qualifications. Straight into matches with no training (or hardly any)

You hear the next door neighbour saying "little billy's team won 17-0" and I just think, "what's the point of that?"

I'm very confused about the B team bit. How does this league relate to other leagues?- do they compete in cups and the like or not? Then, how do players interchange between A and B teams? If the league is self contained, is a team relegated out of existence at the end of a season when the A club is relegated (regardless of where it placed) or what? I get the ambition behind it but like most things that come out of Greg Dyke, it isn't very considered.

@Ed Selley

There's a few scenarios they've probably not thought of.

Anyway, the B team can not play in the FA cup or league cup. They can be promoted / relegated but only to the championship.

I think it's bizarre and pointless. We have a unique football league and non league structure that should be left well alone.

[
I think it's bizarre and pointless. We have a unique football league and non league structure that should be left well alone.

A hundred times this, couldn't agree more.

No surprise to see that the top teams are the ones that want it to happen. The system is already broken with the stupid loan system that we have, having B teams down the divisions will be yet another way that the money won't filter down.

Honestly, some of these numbskulls are hellbent on killing the game in our country.

@Ed Selley

There's a few scenarios they've probably not thought of.

Anyway, the B team can not play in the FA cup or league cup. They can be promoted / relegated but only to the championship.

uniquely rubbish because its awash with foreigners ,a situation which gets worse every year and which has had detrimental effect on our national side.Even the youth sides are full of foreigners which means not enough of our youngsters get decent chance.The loan system only benefits a small percentage of players whilst the clubs to whom they are contracted have no control over how they are coached.
We dont have an English league we have a foreign legion league ,a situation made worse by the fact many of the clubs are now owned by foreigners who only care about their fiefdoms.
One thing that need to be done is inject a massive amount of capital at the grassroots level i.e. more top class coaches(currently we have 1.5k Germany has 5k and spain 12k) and many more 3g artificial pitches

there is a lot of opposition to the plans but people dont like change in this country so its not surprising .Hope Dyke smashes through the reforms which include altering the loan system, so that up to 8 players can be loaned to one club and make it much tougher for non EU players to get a work permit

Last edited:
8 players loaned to one club? What happens if they then come up against the B team in a league game?

The whole thing is nuts, what more do you expect from the FA, including a panel of Danny Mills and Howard Wilkinson?

Finally, the non EU thing might be difficult to implement not only for reasons of employment law but also that the FA doesn't run the premier league.

MORE COACHES and better facilities for kids of school ages. They are not addressing the issue.

Finally, the non EU thing might be difficult to implement not only for reasons of employment law

But isn't the law such that you can't restrict people from the EU coming to UK to work? They wouldn't be doing that, they'd be restricting how many each club can play every game.

So each club could have an almost 50:50 squad - 13 British and 12 foreigners, with only 3 of the foreigners allowed to be selected each game.

They are 2 VERY different things. Getting rid of the 3 limit was the worst thing to happen to English football, in the international sense. We used to compete properly at international tournaments (we even won 1!) before...

But isn't the law such that you can't restrict people from the EU coming to UK to work? They wouldn't be doing that, they'd be restricting how many each club can play every game.

So each club could have an almost 50:50 squad - 13 British and 12 foreigners, with only 3 of the foreigners allowed to be selected each game.

They are 2 VERY different things. Getting rid of the 3 limit was the worst thing to happen to English football, in the international sense. We used to compete properly at international tournaments (we even won 1!) before...
he is not suggesting restricting those from within the EU, just those who are from other parts of the world .There is no reason why they should be able to obtain work permits any more than others from their respective countries
I would agree with the rest of the post .There should be an absolute minimum of English born players in every team playing every match

Does this really matter as long as they have the right people in place?

The Football Association chairman Greg Dyke believes the governing body is "overwhelmingly male and white" and has warned it could become irrelevant unless tackled.

The FA Council is made up of approximately 120 members drawn from the professional and amateur ranks of the game and helps decide major policy issues for the organisation.

Dyke said: "If you look at who's supporting, who's playing football, and then you look at the FA Council - it doesn't represent them.

"It's still overwhelmingly male, overwhelmingly white in a world that isn't overwhelmingly male and white, and somehow that has to be changed.

Does it really matter ?
If they are the best people of the job, no.
If overwhelmingly male, overwhelmingly white are the only candidates, no
Do i believe both of those apply? no

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom