1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings to all..

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Joelc, May 16, 2004.

1. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Although it has taken me little to "land here" it is good to be home among my fellow TMA enthusiats. I look forward to reading and posting in the coming days/weeks to all.

Hope that everyone is having a good weekend.

Cheers,

Joel (from Canada).

PS. And yes, the VSM2048 is still not working but I am moving towards a new projection unit with my fingers crossed!!!

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Welcome Joel, good to have you on board for the unofficial ex Tag club :)

Dominic

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Hi Joel

Good to "see" you again. It's getting like the good old days...... :hiya:

4. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Talking aboutr feeling like "old times".. I am now having a little hiccup with my DVD32R... the door rarely closes in that it needs a little push to convince it to close. No matter how many times I try to coax it... it does not help the next time I use it... any ideas other than sending it back to the UK?

Much appreciated...

Joel

5. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Joel,

When did you buy your unit. Does it have the latest door modification? You could check if you are using door profile A or B. Profile B is for the latest door version, which goes very smooth. For this reason they came up with profile B that drives the with less force, hence it can get stuck easily. edit: so try A as Graham also says.

(Oh just checking but I'm convinved you did; you did turn the unit completely off with the powerbutton, before trying to learn the door mech?)

If you all did this without succes, you could turn the unit off, and open en close the door by hand a 2-3 times, to make sure the grease (?) on the metal bar is equally devided. Make sure you open and close it in one movement to prevent that the grease get's thicker at certain points!!
    Then turn the unit on, and learn it to open en close smooth. Make sure the unit is at operating temp.

Good luck

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'd try the "a" profile, on mine it is capable of chopping fingers off, whilst "b" can stop short on occasion. I'm very tempted to convert to rack and pinion drive one day but it all "works" so I just sit down and listen to the music and all those door worries just melt away...

7. fheller

fheller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Joelc

I waited for your "test" on the VSM 2048. In the meantime I got one myself.
    I am also looking for a new projection unit. Which one are you considering?

kind regards
    fheller

8. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Decision essentially made... I have to go with the Sony VPL-HS20 which is a LCD unit.

While not expensive (actually realtively inexpensive compard to DLP units) I feel that projector technology will continue to change rapidly over the next 3 to 5 years. The result being that I do not want to hace USD 10,000+ invested in a unit which will be disposable/obsolete. The PQ is very good -- say 85% to 90% of the Runco 710 (the other unit I was considering) for roughly a third of the price.

Constraints re: budget also entered my selection criteria as I will be doing some remodelling to myhome at the same time... this way I get the best of both!

Cheers,

Joel

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Joel.
    Be careful, make absolutely sure it works with the VSM as the older model didn't...(Sony VPL-VW10HT) as it wouldn't let the VSM do its job and fill the screen.....I know of at least one chap that had this PJ and the only course of action was to go and order a Barco CV80......
    I fully understand your feelings on the money issue and technology though as 6 moths is a long time in this game presently but if you get something now that does the job and gives an excellent picture I'd only change it when it broke and couldn't be fixed.....

10. fheller

fheller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joel
    I am not sure, but I think that Runco 710 equals Benq 8700. Might be that the Runco is a repacked Benq.
    I have the same opinion, concerning DLp LCOS etc.. Its a very difficult decision to buy the right product.
    I had the BARCO Cineversum 110 ( 3 chipper) for one week in my home. Works fantastic with the scaler. I might go for that or for a Barco CRT.

regards
    fheller

11. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Graham:

A few follow up points....

1. I will not buy the unit until I know that it works with the VSM2048, particularly given a) the problems I had with my current display and b) this is the major reason for all the funds that will be spent (i.e. build a proper HT, said desire being fueled by the need for a new display).

2. The VPL-VW10HT was replaced by the VW11HT and most recently the VW12HT. The unit I am considering is from a different "line", notice the VW prefix is replaced by the HS prefix (i.e. VPL-HS20).

3. While very nice... the Barco is once again above the desired price point. That said, the Sony tech is of the view that the VSM2048 should work as the the HS-20, unlike the VW10, does have a bypassable internal scaler.

Wish me luck...

Joel

12. fheller

fheller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joel
    Do you know any dealer in Torontoarea who is selling the Sony Qualia or actually has one to have a look at it?

kind regards

fheller

13. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joel, fgs forget LCD. You will regret it. Go decent DLP way at least. Your electronics deserve better (in long terms all LCDs are crap - have been there myself)

14. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Fheller:

I know of no dealer in the Toronto area who is demonstrating the Sony Qualia. That said, there are a number of high end dealers (i.e. Canadian Sound) who do carry Sony and may be able to get one for you. Worth giving them a ring.

Plump:

Please, tell me about your LCD experience.

Also, to reiterate, pricing and technological change are key drivers. Pricing being an issue as most of the budget is allocated to home improvements, including building a proper home theater. Technology being the other driver.. would hate to spend USD 10,000+ to find something obsolete in one year. Would rather dispose of a USD 3,000 projector.

Over to you guys...

Cheers,

Joel

15. fheller

fheller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Joel
    check out the Benq 8700+. Should be around 4.5k right now. Very similar to the Runco 710, which costs apr. 10k.
    This is a Dlp, works nice with the VSM 2048.

kind regards

fheller

16. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Joel.
    I'd stay away from the LCD pj's and settle on a DLP that fits your budget.
    It is often said that chasing this technology is a fruitless task as better things are always a few months away, buy something decent now and enjoy and don't look at anything else until it is broken/worn out. A triple chip device whilst "better" isn't a massive increase in home theatre circles, some will insist on the improved quality others will sit back smug in the knowledge that what they have is easily good enough and a warm feeling in the wallet area. The TAG scaler however loves the triple chip CV110 Barco as I've said before but that is a huge wedge of cash currently.....
    How about the Barco CV70, less than half the cost of the CV80, uses the same chip set, you don't get the master unit naturally but you have the VSM.....Run it via RGBHV and you get 1080p capability if you need it, which I'd suggest is enough for now ;) The BenQ is also interesting for the money.....I am not a Runco fan, rebadging stuff and doing some iffy processing up to now doesn't rock my boat....Each to his own though.

I wish you lots of luck.

17. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    GrahamMG and Fheller;

Many thanks for the feedabck. That said... do either of you know the going price for the Barco CV70 in North America. If so, please advise.

Cheers,

Joel

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'll ask the guys at Belgium, not sure that the exchange rate is that stable though......at a guess I'd say $7k give or take. Lets see if I'm right.....

19. fheller

fheller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Joel

No, I dont know the American prices. In Europe you pay between 9 to 10k Euros for the CV 70. I think the listprice is around 11k.
    Very nice projector, but double the price as Benq 8700 for apr. the same picturequality. Single chip DLP HD2+ and 6 segment colorwheel.

kind regards
    fheller

20. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Graham, thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you.

fheller, should the price prove to be Euros 9,000 to 10,000, then:
    a) the price is near that of the Runco 710;and
    b) the price is out of my range...at least for now.

As always, thanks.

Joel

21. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everybody, :clap:

I was already missing a Tag forum. After all, I've learn a lot from it. :D

Does anyone know if there is a project to produce a TAG entry level DVD player? Maybe with a OEM drive but with TAG quality standard?

22. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    "same picture quality", that very much depends on what you feed it with..Out of the box the Barco is a fair bit better to my eyes....

Joel.
    Belgium are on a National Holiday so it will be Tuesday before a get a response on cost.

23. fheller

fheller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @GrahamMG
    Out of the box the Barco was as bad as the Benq (or as good). Both have to be calibrated.
    Well its only to my eyes that after calibration all Hd2+ DLPs look more or less the same.
    I own a Benq 8700 and checked many DLP Projectors. The absolutely best one and this by a huge margin is the BArco 3 chipper CV 110 with the VSM 2048. My dealer provided me this projector for one week as a demo in my home. You suffer a deep frustration gooing back to a single cip DLP.
    I still consider a Barco CRT (CIne 8 or 9).
    I didnt come up with my decision yet. CRT, 3 chipper or even Sony Qualia???

kind regards
    fheller

24. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.
    I have to agree on the CV110, it is impressive but you do need a large screen for that one as it is very bright even in one lamp mode....

The latest CV70 is a good deal better than most HD2+ devices, I'd suggest you may have seen the earlier pre update device........
    All comparisons naturally depend on the size of the screen, i.e. a small screen may not show up such differences and of course room treatment may or may not require the higher light output. There is no question however that the Barco is a higher quality unit than the BenQ (and I'm not saying the BenQ isn't good, it is) in both optics/light output/colour wheel/processing and range of lenses, test measurments never lie....
    Not all Texas chipped devices are the same........ :lesson:

I've not seen the Sony yet ;)

25. fheller

fheller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @GrahamMG
    You can run the CV 110 in one lamp mode, half power. Still you get a much better picture compared to single chip DLPs. The colors are much deeper, totally different leaque. Still would love a high res DLp with 1080p.

kind regards

fheller

26. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.
    Yes I knew that, but consider the CV110 a bit of a waste on a 6ft wide screen it needs 10ft really to show its worth, in fact it is too bright on smaller screens but then you would expect that given its target audience.
    We both want one though! I have seen one on a 12ft wide screen and it looks the dogs whatsits....

27. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also consider the new DILA/LCOS machines, like the HX1 or if your budget lets you, the HD2k or Sony Qualia. Smooth film like image much more than DLP although worse blacks (however in my opinion better greyscale)

28. fheller

fheller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Until now I had no possibility to see one. But they are on my agenda before I come up with my final decision.

kind regards
    fheller

29. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Graham:

Have had little success on getting my hands/eyes on either a Barco or a BenQ as there are very few dealers in Canada. That said, we one spoke about the time it would take to see 2K projectors well.... what do you think about these 4k projectors and the amount of time it will take for this to trickle down to affordable personal/home projectors...

http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/0604/4.sony.html

Hope you are having a nice weekend..

Joel

30. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Joel.
    Whilst I haven't as yet seen a qualia so can't comment on it, most of what you pointed me at is firmly in the large cinema bracket both on install and price and not for the home at all.....If I read it right the Sony is a LCD type of panel and the res is high enough to cancel out the normal chicken wire effect but other reasons exist why LCD is not going to worry the DLP's at this high res lark but they may be cheaper certianly......10k AL brightness is far far to bright for any home cinema unless you have 40ft plus screens and can sit a fair bit away from it:) Even 5k AL is far too bright for the home, these are for big screens only.......I sudder to think what any of them cost the cheapest 2k x 1k device that I have seen that might even remotely fit in a house was £60k so don't hold your breath that they will be affordable just yet :rolleyes: