1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greenfield

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by slobbo, Jun 11, 2005.

1. slobbo

slobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,
    I'm just about to have an extension built and part of this extension is going to be what my wife is calling the "Boys room". It really is a blank canvas and I don't know what sort of cables I should be running and sound proofing, etc while the plaster is off the walls, so to speak. My requirements are as follows;

1. Projector - Ceiling mounted
    2. 7.1 Surround Sound - I have a nice Denon Receiver
    3. Want to stream music from a PC (well Apple Mac) and possibly movies as well.
    4. I plan on some automation probably using X10. Lights and possible curtains. Placement of lights not yet decided.
    5. Would like to receive Sky signal from elsewhere. I.e. box not present.

OK the room is 6 metres x 3.3 metres with a ceiling height of 3.8 metres (yes you read right). There is a staircase down one end and a set of patio doors on one side of the 6 metre wall which leads out to the garden and a regular sized firedoor leading into the garage.

The extension is timber framed and all 4 walls are pretty isolated from the rest of the house. 2 of them are outside walls (with no neighbours nearby) and one internal wall which is next to the garage. and the remaining wall is the old external brick wall where we are extending from. My wife and my bedroom will be directly above so some sound proofing here might be in order.

I've been thinkin of some data cables (cat5) for the streaming. But aside from that not sure where to start. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. slobbo

slobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot the say. The firedoor is opposite the patio doors and there is a door at the top of the stairs so the room is closed in.