Green tint with progressive component output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by garry.channing, Jul 25, 2004.

1. garry.channing

garry.channing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Hello.... I've tried searching for an answer to this, so I am SORRY if I am repeating an already asked question.

I've recently bought a new 42" Plasma TV and Panasonic DVD Recorder (and I already have a Sky+ box). Sky is connected via a good quality Scart cable so I get excellent RGB picture quality. My DVD recorder was connected firstly by an S-Video connector - picture was OK but then I decided to use the 3 x Component outputs instead. My Plasma TV has normal component inputs plus a set for DVD players with progressive scan abilities, so i've connected this way and set my DVD player up accordingly. Picture quality is great EXCEPT when ever theres either dark grey or black colours on the screen they have a distinct greeny tint to them. I've tried adjusting my TV to comensate but it doesnt make much difference.

I've noticed a few other people on here saying the same thing - they all have different makes of DVD player/recorder and Plasma TV. So therefore is this a common fault with progressive outputs on DVD players/recorders??

Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated... cheers! :thumbsup:

2. hammerman

hammerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like you just need your screen calibrated to me!.....if youve used it for more than 200+ hours,a DVE disc could be your answer!...........having said that,theres no harm in ringing the guys who sold the screen to you............ :)

3. hangleton

hangleton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have a similar problem - DVD output on RGB SCART is absolutely fine, but Component gives a slight greenish tint. It's not the RGB/Component configuration problem, I checked that. Changing to RGB gives a *really* green tint, I'm just getting a slight one.

Any guesses or suggestions?

Thanks!

4. 12 promises

12 promises

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    have u tried going into the tvs colour management menu and adjusting the hue control towards the red end of the spectrum?

5. hangleton

hangleton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I tried that - it doesn't seem to be able to compensate enough.

The problem is only on the component input - reverting to RGB SCART gives a perfectly acceptable picture.

I've done some more investigation, and I'm now pretty sure that the problem is in the plasma screen. Here's what a very helpful and knowlegeable chap on another forum suggested:

For starters, pull out the U and V cables, leaving just the Y cable connected. The picture should then by monochrome. If it isn't, it's a problem with your TV.

I did this, and the 'monochrome' picture has a definite green hue. So I'm off to see if I can get a replacement Component board for the screen.

Thanks!

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    It may just be the greyscale needs adjusting in the display. In some plasma's you will have the necessary adjustments in the usermenu and in others it's hidden in service options. Either way to do it correctly you need measuring tools.

Does the tint change dependant on whether it's interlaced or progresive component you are sending

Gordon

Gordon

7. hangleton

hangleton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I clearly have a lot to learn about this game.

There's no discernable difference in greenness between progressive and interlace component signals.

But I then messed with the greyscale settings (They're called White Balance on my display, which threw me for a while), and whilst I don't have a clue what I'm doing, I'm pretty sure that the problem is correctable using those settings, if only I knew how.

So now all I need is to either learn how to adjust it properly, or find somebody who already knows.

Seems odd though that the out of the box configuration can be so wrong.

Thanks very much for your help!

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Hangleton,

Gordon has given you good advice. For more, and the answer as to why the out of the box setting is so wrong take a look at my website.

Regards

Piers
    Home Cinema Engineering
    www.homecinemaengineering.com

9. hangleton

hangleton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for helpful words.

I am now convinced that my system is in need of calibration, and I am not the man to do it. I have spent a while executing a trial and error exercise, which has resulted in a) an improvement of the immediate problem, and b) realisation of the absence of any chance of me ever getting it exactly right.

I see that Gordon is in Scotland and Piers is in Shropshire, whereas I am down on the south coast in Hove, near Brighton.

Can anybody recommend an experienced person more local to me who might be able to help me calibrate my system properly?

Thanks again for your help, it really is much appreciated.

Andy

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    I wll actually be in Hove visiting another client at the end of ths month. I'm sure you'll find that both myself and Piers travel all over the UK. In fact most of my calibration work is in the South. If you want to get booked in just send me an email.

Gordon

11. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Aha, Gordon!
    You're a travelling salesman! A fine old English tradition, I'm sure you have a caravan with 'orses !
    Barend :hiya: