Green Tinge Fault - Panasonic (VT30, GT30 and ST30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyboy

As there seems to be quite a few of people across all three threads for each model type with this green tinge problem, I thought it might be a bit more productive to unify it all into one thread.

I bought my p50st30 2 days ago and can clearly see the green tinge and it can clearly be seen in the below pictures. Called Panasonic and spoke to a guy called Simon who said I should replace the TV and that he has never heard of the problem. Not sure I believe him.

pic4.JPG

pic5.JPG

pic6.JPG

pic2.JPG

I think i will inform the retailer of the problem but tell them i want to wait for the tv to be on for a few more hours to see if the problem gets better with time as some reported.

Speedoman

I have had five faulty VT30’s

I had two 50 inch models with marks behind the glass, two 55 inch models with the loud buzzing and another 55 inch with scratches on the glass frame.

None of them had what I can see in your photos.

shyboy

Can others who have seen this problem comment whether their set still has the problem after use? A;so, if you dont have the problem at all after checking the DVB screen can you post so that i get an idea if its worth changing the set or not?

martpu

Banned
shyboy said:
Can others who have seen this problem comment whether their set still has the problem after use? A;so, if you dont have the problem at all after checking the DVB screen can you post so that i get an idea if its worth changing the set or not?

I've got a 2 week old 55VT30 pre-installed with 1.518 FW and have no green tinge on mine after looking for it via the DVB screen mate.

Picture mode used was Normal. Not sure whether this would make a difference?

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
I've got a 2 week old 55VT30 pre-installed with 1.518 FW and have no green tinge on mine after looking for it via the DVB screen mate.

Picture mode used was Normal. Not sure whether this would make a difference?

Mine is 7 weeks old and no green tint on the DVB screen at all :smashin:

BarryMcKelvey

Mine is 7 weeks old and no green tint on the DVB screen at all :smashin:

Hi

Does the green tint only effect the DVB screen?

Thanks

Baz

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Hi

Does the green tint only effect the DVB screen?

Thanks

Baz
No but folks with the issue see it more on the DVB screen. The grey on the DVB screen helps it stand out more.

I have a 55" VT30 FW 1.518 no green splats on my screen. ;)

AndyVt30

No but folks with the issue see it more on the DVB screen. The grey on the DVB screen helps it stand out more.

I have a 55" VT30 FW 1.518 no green splats on my screen. ;)

the green could show up more if the grayscale has more green in it, it would add to the green what is already there?

does your dvb screen show no green?

i dare not to to check mine, cannot see any green patches in normal viewing:smashin:

Kitjunky

My 50VT30 Definably had a large green splat right in the centre of the display when it was new. 1.5 months on their is no trace of it to be seen , far more irritating issues exist such as shifting gray scale and FBR's however the set is still bedding in and slowly improving as time goes on. I shan't be sending this unit back for another spin of the panel lottery. :rotfl:

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Can't see no green tint on my P50ST30b, on DVB menu or otherwise. I'm not one for looking for faults anyway, not like those lads on the AVS forums who peruse their screens with a magnifying glass in one hand and the suppliers phone number on speed-dial in the other..

Last edited:

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
the green could show up more if the grayscale has more green in it, it would add to the green what is already there?

does your dvb screen show no green?

i dare not to to check mine, cannot see any green patches in normal viewing:smashin:
Checked my DVB screen all looks well.
i dont think these folk are having greyscale issues I think its more to do with the AR coating or the plasma panel itself.

AndyVt30

Can't see no green tint on my P50ST30b, on DVE menu or otherwise. I'm not one for looking for faults anyway, not like those lads on the AVS forums who peruse their screens with a magnifying glass in one hand and the suppliers phone number on speed-dial in the other..
well it would be nice if Panasonic could tell everyone if this would be just that the AR coating needs time to bond to the screen or fades with use, surely the person incharge In that department should know if that is the case or not?

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
well it would be nice if Panasonic could tell everyone if this would be just that the AR coating needs time to bond to the screen or fades with use, surely the person incharge In that department should know if that is the case or not?

I agree, it's a pretty common complaint from what I have seen. Even comments on Amazon.com referring to green blobs, and seeing an obvious issue and not knowing if it'll disappear down the road is infuriating.
My jibe was at the more anal members of AVS who don't seem to enjoy their TVs once they buy them and instigate other forum members to look for faults on their sets.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Seen a 42" and 50" GT30 in the shops that had a green tint, my 46" GT30 seems fine though. I was expecting to have to tweak a few things, but all seems well:confused:....the 42" I demoed was fine too, so guess its a setup issue on some sets?

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Seen a 42" and 50" GT30 in the shops that had a green tint, my 46" GT30 seems fine though. I was expecting to have to tweak a few things, but all seems well:confused:....the 42" I demoed was fine too, so guess its a setup issue on some sets?
I think theres tint as in colour tint and AR/Panel issue tint.

Maybe just a dodgy few batches kicking around. :confused:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I think theres tint as in colour tint and AR/Panel issue tint.

Maybe just a dodgy few batches kicking around. :confused:

The sets I've seen with a green tint just looked like they needed a tweak, didn't look like a filter issue, it was a slight green hue to the whole image, colours were still distinctly different. It looked like the THX red tint on the VT20s but green, I was surprised not to see it on my set. Is there maybe more than one issue here? it wasn't a green blob in one area as some are describing.

BarryMcKelvey

Hi

My 55 inch VT30 has been ready for delivery since the end of May. Its getting delivered on the 22nd of this month. Fingers crossed it has no green tint.

If it has green tint, whats the best advice? Get it swapped out or wait to see if it disappears after the run in period?

Thanks

Baz

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
The sets I've seen with a green tint just looked like they needed a tweak, didn't look like a filter issue, it was a slight green hue to the whole image, colours were still distinctly different. It looked like the THX red tint on the VT20s but green, I was surprised not to see it on my set. Is there maybe more than one issue here? it wasn't a green blob in one area as some are describing.
The green blob is the big problem here scoobs.
The green tint is just poor setup. ;)
Hi

My 55 inch VT30 has been ready for delivery since the end of May. Its getting delivered on the 22nd of this month. Fingers crossed it has no green tint.

If it has green tint, whats the best advice? Get it swapped out or wait to see if it disappears after the run in period?

Thanks

Baz
I think by the time you get your tv those that are going to see if it shifts or not might have a solid answer.
I have no green splats on my screen and by what Ive been reading online it seems more common on the 50" range of sets.

gaz2810i

Ive had a 55VT30, calibrated by ********, for 6 weeks now and I've not noticed any green blobs. Reluctant to check for something I can't see so won't be looking at the DVB screen.

paldridge

Standard Member
My 50" had it right down the center and that was one of 4 reasons it went back. The other 3 reasons were (if you're interested) ...
1 Flutuating brightness (not as bad on mine as some people found it)
2 Pixelation around moving objects (really bad!)
3 50hz issue (better than the VT20 on SD but worse on HD)

shyboy

paldridge, did it look like the ones in my pictures above?

I am not anal about these things at all. In fact, I wish I had a scratch or two instead or maybe a finger mark behind the glass as that really won't bother me at all. It's just that I can see it on normal viewing if the scene is uniform in colour so very distracting and a bit out of order if you ask me considering these plasmas are all about a quality picture. Having one side of the picture slightly greener than the other is not right and should not be acceptable in my honest opinion. (see the last picture although the picture is not as clear as in real watching) The only thing I am trying to find out is if it really does disappear with time in which case there is no point in sending it back for a replacement.

Stone Free

I agree, I wouldn't have tried replacing the set if Panasonic had not said the only remedy was to get a replacement until you get a good one.

I just wish my retailer had had an email address, I stupidly phoned him on my mobile and I don't think he could hear me properly.

At that point all I really wanted was to "log" the issue with him so that if after 250 hours there still was a problem it wouldn't be "out of the blue".

I hate how with the majority of problems with Pansonic TVs the response from support is so often "We've never heard of that issue"

Stone Free

I can't believe how now that my first set is gone all of a sudden loads of people have appeared who say it goes away. When I was looking at the VT30 thread before Tuesday there was only one person who said it would go, and another who said his got worse.

If my replacement hadn't been broken, they wouldn't have opened the other stock and I might now have a pristine set instead of scratched and covered with sweaty hand prints.

After all the care me and my Dad took when setting up the original :(

Stone Free

This morning I connected the current TV to the internet and I noticed the green patches quite clearly on the update screen.

I think the problem shows up more in THX mode. It does seem totally dependant on the intensity of the colour.

I couldn't see it on the green slides that PuntNL said showed it on his set.

I could see it if I put a 1920x1080 white picture on my DNLA server.

The worst I've seen it was on District9 BluRay, I'm too depressed to go and find the correct chapter. I seem to remember in some of the scense when Vickus was in the exoskeleton that the blue sky showed lime green. It was also especially obvious with the big spaceship in the middle of the frame with blue sky above and the city below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published