1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green Screen on Barco Retro Data 801s - Help Please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by EagleRock, Jun 11, 2004.

1. EagleRock

EagleRock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Barco Retro Data 801s (Rear projection 67") that is a number of years old and have been using it as a home theater for the last year and a half.

While watching a show, there was some popping and crackling sounds, then the screen went green with brighter green lines running at a 45 degree angle spaced about 8” apart. When we turn the unit on now, we get this green screen for about 30 seconds then the screen goes to black.

Any help, tests or ideas that you can give that would help narrow down the problem would be appreciated. He family would like to have it operational again.

Thank You

Greg

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Sounds like the RGB module has went belly up on the green tube. If I'm right, it just needs to be replaced and all will be fine (as long as its just a fault with the module and not an underlying problem elsewhere). 5 minute job to replace, just remember to disconnect the pj from the mains for an hour or so before doing anything.

You can pick up a replacement module form Henry at www.crtprojectors.co.uk or B4Projection.
    Paul

3. EagleRock

EagleRock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, is there some way that I can test to find out if this is the case or is it a trail and error parts replacement?

Thank you for your responces.

Greg

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Greg
    quick and easy test. Open up your projector to reveal the base of the tubes. Connected by a bunch of yellow wires to the small board at the end of tubes is the RGB amplifier. It will be mounted to the chassis by two slot screws (just loosen no need to undo). The board is about 10 x 50 x 40 cm probably aluminium casting but could still be black on your machine.
    Unplug both sets of yellow leads (front and back) and swap it with one of the other colours. If the problem moves to the other tube you have your answer.

Usually the problem is a transistor on that board.

Shoot me an email if you need an exchange.