1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green push with Upscaling DVD players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gandley, Dec 27, 2004.

1. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    WOW, there are so many glitches when using HDMI or DVI to certain displays
    that many blame the dvd player straight away and not there expensive plasma or projector.
    Ive heared many reports from peeps on seeing bad green push with upconverting DVD players. Why is this so. beats me but at last i found a thread that explains why this happens and how you can solve the issue.

This thread is a bit brain numbing but interesting all the same, take a look

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=486428

Its all about colourspace between HDTV and SDTV and how your projector or perhaps plasma gets confused and applies the wrong colourspace. ie rec
    601 (sd colour space) or rec 709(hdtv colourspace)
    all a bit techie as i didnt even realy know this would happen but a dvd player fakes a HDTV signal while using a SD colour space?!! see where this is going, anyhow you end up with incorrect colours with a bit of green push.

A cool thing though is that the new denon A1xv will do this correctly so no worries there.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    All the current Lumagen scalers can be set for SD or HD colourspace input or output....so there are other solutions too....

Gordon

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Agreed, the DVDo scalers apply the correct colourspace as well, i was talking about straight upconverting dvd players to display but it is good to know these issue can be rendered mute. In fact im beginning to wonder if upconverting dvd players were a good idea after all. it does appear they need much better processing than they currently have in place(hence all the issues)
    (or is it more intelligent displays :suicide: )

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If the DVD player can do its own colourspace conversion and output in RGB, then it should not be a problem either... assuming the DVD player uses the correct colourspace!

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    thats right but how many dvd players force the display to the correct colour space. Even some discs are not encoded properly. So it left to the display some get it spot on some dont. Hence why the likes of lumagen have made this an option to force the colourspace which sounds like an excellent idea.
    I mentioned the denon A1xv as this has the option as well to force the colourspace when you output higher than 480p/576p which is where the problem occurs(i dont know of any other players which have this feature but i guess some will follow)