Green push on KDS-55A2000?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mart.stokes, May 8, 2007.

1. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, had chance to settle down with Digital Video Essentials (SD version) and absolutely no test equipment other than my old eyes over the weekend. The only thing I can discover is a slight "green push" (sorry if my terminology is wrong) using the colour bars. Red and Blue seem smack on after colour adjustment, but green seems to overpower (using the visual filters). Grey scale is okay in terms of it now seems grey most of the way through (Tarbat's original white balance settings, using Warm 1, were a good starting point), although I obviously cannot comment on the temperature.

So, I have tried to search the American forums (it seems almost impossible to find everythign you want in one place) and failed to find out if the green can be turned down in the service menu. Anybody here any ideas if this is possible? Or is it set by the architecture of the machine?

It is NOT a problem to me, I just wondered if it was easy to get closer.

I wish there was a complete list of all the settings somewhere, the service manual is pretty guarded and tells little about the service menu.

Thanks.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    Hi Mart,

You cannot use the green filter to see whether the colour decoding is functioning properly. The red and green filters are not able to accurately filter the spectrum of light emitted by your display. ie the green filter lets through red and blue visible light so what you see is not correct.

Also your brain has an auto white balance capability so if you look at a white box that has too much blue in it for a minute or two your brain starts to tell you that it's actually white....then if you put up a correctly coloured white window straight away you would think it was yellowish....then after a minute of looking at that you'd think it was white and if you looked at the first box again you'd think it was blueish......you need to get a reference for the correct colour of grey/white to attempt to set greyscale by eye.

Gordon

3. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Note that the white balance settings I use were specifically for the WARM2 setting. I know that when I used those white balance settings on WARM1 the colour balance was off a bit (using a Spyder2 for calibration).

4. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon, long time no speak (well, many years since The Event 1 in Glasgow), I knew there was an opening in the market somewhere, ISF calibration of the brain! Thanks for explaining that. I will sit back down and just watch the thing from now on :thumbsup:

5. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, yeah I just know I am going to have to bite the bullet one day, read a few books, invest in some equipment and start to see about doing it properly with something like a Spyder2. I should also take time to track your adjustments more closely as they have changed with time. But, as you said in another post, it seems the white balance settings vary between different sets.

It took me a few months to work out the majority of the service menu options on my old Pioneer RP, in those days it was all individual settings for pin-cushion, skew, stretch etc. However, there were some very handy knobs inside the cabinet for focus and (what I will describe as) colour intensity.

I'm still intrigued as to why, on the whole of the WWW, there isn't (or doesn't seem to be) a comprehensive posting on the majority of the menu settings for the latest Sony service menus.