Green problem on sony 1271

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BobbyBlaze, Mar 15, 2006.

1. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi everybody, :thumbsup:

Ah, another day, another problem, ahem, learning opportunity;)

My problem (at the moment) is that the green crt seems to be ona constant brightness level. Reducing the brightness only reduces the brightness of the red and blue tubes. When set to 0, red and blue disappear (as they should) but green is still projecting away as though I had simply switched off the red and blue. Of course, this totally screws the colour balance to boot.

Can anyone suggest any solutions? I recently had a problem with the sync on the vertical board which folks were kind enough to help out on. Is there some wire some where that I may have inadvertently tugged whilst trying to solve the former problem which caused this one?

Thanks again

Rob

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like your g2 is out. Have a search through the forums for g2 and see if there is a Sony guide.

As a rough guide, you should find the focus block somewhere which will have 2 pots for each colour... One is the electronic focus and will focus the electron beam on the surface of the tube, the other is the g2 which determines the intensity of the beam on each tube.

Adjusting it to perfection is a bit of a task - also as adjusting the g2 can affect the other tubes g2 and sometimes even the voltage... However, if it is as out as it sounds, I can't see any harm in you just adjusting these to what you roughly think is right... Generally, looking at each tube on its own, you should turn the g2 up and then slowly turn it down until black is black.

3. morksbeanbag

morksbeanbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    i'm doing this at the moment with my 1272.

Having great fun doing it too!:smashin:

I think i'll have to wait until a little later on to finish it as trying to make each tube so that 'black is black' when the room itself isn't entirely black (from sunlight peeking in) is proving tricky.

4. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks guys, :thumbsup:

jobs-a-good'un. Deffo G2 being out. Rather than spend too much time fiddling whilst the missus is away (hey, it's a new projector toy. You could spend a lifetime fiddling!).

I simply reset the g2 on green to the level of the others which solved the "GREEN OVERDRIVE" problem and then quickly used the gamma adjustment on the nview video driver to get an inky black and sat back and enjoyed "Saving Private Ryan". :devil:

One thing I did notice was that, boy, the picture looked great but my HTPC cannot hold a candle to my Pioneer 737 in terms of sound quality. Flat as a pancake to tell the truth. Looks like picture or sound is going to have to be a choice a non-scaler owning swab like me is gonna have to make for the time being :(

Thanks for all your time guys ... Must say it's been fun:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Rob

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Which sound card do you have in the PC?

6. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Chris, :hiya:

at the mo. it's just the onboard cheapy 5.1 jobby so I'm not expecting mind blowing results. Now I've got a datagrade PJ, and the HTPC route is viable, then a new soundcard if the next thing on my shopping list. Although, if I'm honest, I still don't expect sound quality in an electrically noisy PC to be as good as a quality hi-fi component.

But saying that, damn, anything would be better than what I've heard for the last week or so (flatter than a week old can of coke). I put on the Imax DVD of "Super Speedway - Mach II SE" on the Pioneer and it was teeth rattling. On the PC , I could almost have been watching ITV F1 coverage. The difference was night and day.

I appreciate a good picture as well as most folk (particularly at the moment whith the jump in quality from a Seleco SVP320+ video grade PJ) but, wow, must admit I'm missing the sound quality right now. Perhaps one of those Moome cards with component input might be a better route as that way you could have your cake and eat it (albiet at 576p max).

As an alternative could anyone recommend a good card (7.1) that could help rock the house a bit?

Cheers guys,

Rob

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
  8. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Chris,

will give that a read definitely.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say a big thankyou to everyone on this board for taking the time to help out others get the most out of the equipment that they have. I'm sure I speak for others when I say it's all gratefully appreciated. :smashin:

Rob