1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green Horizontal line problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dverlaque, Mar 18, 2005.

1. dverlaque

dverlaque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can someone please help me. I have a philips 32 in pixel plus tv. I have sky + and a philips dvd home cinema player connected. Recently, after I got sky + installed, I have noticed that the tv has been displaying green horizontal lines. They are not always present, just when the screen colour displays a sort of off black colour. I have been looking through a number of threads and noticed someone talking about getting these after getting TIVO installed. Could this be similar? Can I fix this? Does any one know as this is doing my box in right now.
    :lease:

2. Tamco

Tamco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dverlaque,

Are your green lines actually the tension wires of the shadow mask tube, which are spaced about every inch horizontally & are slightly concaved at either side of the screen. View a really dark film scene with no lights on in the room & have a closer look.
    Please let me know the outcome of examining it closer.

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, a shadow mask crt doesn't have tension wires - a SonyTrinitron crt does. As this is a Philips set I would be sceptical if they used a Sony Trinitron tube - possible I admit, but unusual. Regards, yt.

4. dverlaque

dverlaque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I don't think it is. Someone said to me that TIVO had a problem with this and it was related to the recording function of the system, but I have read in other threads that it may have something to do with the green gun or what ever that is.
    The lines are from top to bottom three quarters of an inch and green in colour, however there is a slight concave where the lines become shorter in the middle of the screen. like the line diagram below. I know that the diagram only shows the concave on one side but the thread wouldn't let me do the other side.. Hope this is more clear.
    -----------------------------------
    ---------------------------------

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, if these lines slope very gently from right to left then they are the scan 'retrace' lines. As you (may ?) know the electron beams scan left to right and top to bottom and when they reach the bottom they then 'flyback' to the top of the screen to start the process over again (50 times a second). As the beams 'flyback' to the top of the screen they should be 'blanked' out so that you do not see the beams 'flyback' to the top. If a set is slightly misadjusted then it can be possible to see the beams flying back to the top of the screen - faint lines. It is possible then that your telly is slightly misadjusted and needs to be adjusted. If so, this is NOT a service menu adjustment. The control to adjust will be in the back of the telly and is called 'Screen'. This is a very small/minor adjustment but needs to be carried out by a qualified service engineer - if only for reasons of safety since the 'tweeks' involve very high voltages. Regards, yt.

6. Tamco

Tamco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

it`s got nothing to do with TiVo or the recording function. The lines you see are green because it is the brightest colour of the three primary colours (red & blue) being the other two. It is usualy white lines you see when the screen scan adjustment pot is set too high because white light is the correct mixture of the three primary colours, so if the lines are green there could be more than one adjustment. The reason i know this is because i had the exact same problem with my philips 28pw9509 a couple of weeks ago. I had an engineer look at it & he reported back to empire direct that the tv was fine, "********". I got it replaced anyway & this one is slightly better than the first but are still visible on very dark scenes. Other than that i can live with it as it isn`t bad. Let me know how you get on.

7. dverlaque

dverlaque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Tamco and red16v. I will let you know how I get on after the engineer has been...

8. Tamco

Tamco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dverlaque,

Got to the bottom with the green horizontal lines " It was the screen adjustment control as mentioned by Red 16v". It is a really delicate control with the movement of a fraction of a millimetre making a big difference. My control pot was very loose ie (if you blew on it it would move as it was that loose". So i suspect any heavy handling of the tv when getting delivered or moved would definately knock it off its original position).
    Get yours adjusted by a competent engineer & make sure it`s done in a very dark room with a blank AV screen so you can observe the adjustment on a totally black screen.

Hope This Helps.

Tamco

9. dverlaque

dverlaque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess what. Have I been a lucky so in so!!! Went to get my details for the television and found out that I still have 6 months warranty left...fantastic. Thanks for everyones help...I was thinking of changing the TV for an LCD, but I think I will hold onto it for a while longer....cheers