Green home grant.

frazk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got a flat roof I'd like insulating and out of the list of approved contractors list there's only one Company that actually does the job. I think the list is only companies within 30 miles of me though.
Its a 41m2 flat roof and they've quoted me £8200, which is, as expected, ridiculous, but by the time I get the 5k off the government its still worth doing.
I've since had a quick look online though and it seems actually claiming the grant is a nightmare, has anyone on here managed to claim for work done?
And h
as anyone had a flat roof done that can recommend a company to me?
Thanks

Best of luck with that!

The Green Home Grant has simply been hijacked by companies to hike their prices and cream off taxpayers money!

We applied to two companies to quote to insulate our walls using Kingspan and the like. I knew roughly how much it should cost, but the one quote we got was more than double our expectations, it worked out at over £120 per sq metre! (It may even have been £140 psqm, but not exactly sure now)

Bear in mind that the product itself runs at about £20psqm, they were charging £100 psqm for labour! And then they said they wouldn’t be stripping back my walls to fit this, they’d simply stick it on to our existing walls - so each room would become several inches smaller! What a bunch of cowboys!

£24K to do a half-arsed job, at my and the taxpayers expense! Yeah right!

The second company didn’t even bother showing up!

As I say, good luck, you’re going to need it!:(

Thanks 😔
I'm on with my own internal insulation as I do each room of the house so ive no need to worry about that side of things thankfully.
I'll be needing a new roof at some point anyway so this is definately the best job for us to get done on the GHG.
I expected them to #### us over on the price but I was hoping they'd have kept it within the 7.5k limit. £200 a sq m is excessive but as long as they do a good job I'm reasonably happy with it, just wish I could find a couple more companies to quote for it too to compare.
I take it you didn't even bother applying for the grant?

I take it you didn't even bother applying for the grant?

Indeed, we saw it as a complete waste of time - despite qualifying for the full £10K grant! I fully expected to have to find another couple of grand or so, with inflated prices - I certainly wasn't expecting them to take the mickey in quite the manner they did! The companies involved are abusing the scheme to simply make obscene profits at our expense.

I would rather have a scheme where you pay for it up front, and then claim back 'awards' from the government for achieving insulation 'targets'! It would help put paid to this abuse.

Yep. Got quoted £3000 for loft insulation.
The material cost is about £250. So £2750 for a days labour.
Another epic fail by the Tories

isulating the loft in my last house was one of the easiest diy jobs i ever undertook. it prettymuch laid itself !
And i know there is loads of blurb about how its one of the best paying back improvements you can do. it seems too good to be true. but god it made a difference and along with the fitting of a proper central heating thermostat/programmer

Well if nothing else this thread has reassure me the price I got could have been worse!

isulating the loft in my last house was one of the easiest diy jobs i ever undertook. it prettymuch laid itself !
And i know there is loads of blurb about how its one of the best paying back improvements you can do. it seems too good to be true. but god it made a difference and along with the fitting of a proper central heating thermostat/programmer
Yep, I'm doing it myself shortly. Going to install some storage solutions as well

if
Yep, I'm doing it myself shortly. Going to install some storage solutions as well
start on one side, line up the roll, open packaging and if you have it the right way round it will unroll itself all the way across the loft :thumbsup:

Funnily enough, was speaking about this tonight with someone.
She said that the loan stays with the property!?
Which means if you try to sell the house, the new buyer will be het for the payments?
I don't know if this is right or not, but as you say, sounds like a nightmare.

Funnily enough, was speaking about this tonight with someone.
She said that the loan stays with the property!?
Which means if you try to sell the house, the new buyer will be het for the payments?
I don't know if this is right or not, but as you say, sounds like a nightmare.
Not sure what you was talking about but don't think it was the GHG, this is where the government will give you up to 5k or two thirds of the price for energy saving jobs around the home and you pay one third (or more if the work adds up to more than 7.5k). There's no loans involved unless you get one from elsewhere.

Not sure what you was talking about but don't think it was the GHG, this is where the government will give you up to 5k or two thirds of the price for energy saving jobs around the home and you pay one third (or more if the work adds up to more than 7.5k). There's no loans involved unless you get one from elsewhere.
Ah, you're right.
Two different things.

How much difference do you think it has made for your heating bills and the house being warm

I did it a long time ago, 2005ish ,and it was done at the same time as I installed a remote thermostat/programmer
Both saved 20% in a year and paid for itself

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom