Green Ghosting on RP Set.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by chicken balti, Oct 15, 2001.

1. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've spent quite a lot of time investigating problems on my own LCD RPTV which were similar to yours, I was experiencing red and blue stains on certain parts of the screen. My TV is a Sony KL50W2 and I went through a couple of replacements before I got one that was perfect. Recently the problem has returned but I gained a LOT of knowledge from the American forums about a condition they call green fog! This could be what you are experiencing.

Its all down to dust. No matter how great the extraction is on an RPTV there is ALWAYS dust somewhere. I can only relate my own findings but they may be of relevance in your situation, I'm sure there is some common ground here.

Firstly, I removed the lamp assembly (as you would if you were going to replace the lamp) and ensured that the lamp itself was clean. Secondly, I checked for dust contamination on the prism assembly (where the lamp shines directly into it) but this was OK. I then removed the two access hatches at either side of the rear of the set which allowed me to see into the cabinet. I shone a torch in and noticed some dust on the lens assembly, this was gently removed with a lens cloth. At no time did I touch the mirror, it is inverted and therefore unlikely to have much dust on it anyway, my suggestion would be to leave it well alone unless it is obviously dirty, mine was spotless.

This reduced the fault dramatically. I'd say that it was approximately 50% less noticeable than before, but still there. I have read on the US forums that there is one other rather unusual trick to try that has resulted in most faults being eliminated 100%. This involves a can of compressed air being blown over the optical assembly. I know what you're thinking, these units are covered and sealed therefore dust should not be a problem. WRONG. Bizzarely, it cures the problem. There are no real instructions on how to do it or why it works but it does, just spray the general area and bingo! Most people who try it also notice a marked improvement in brightness and colour saturation.

Please bear in mind that I have yet to try this so I cannot confirm what I have read is true, but according to others it does seem to work. Rest assured though that I will certainly be trying it out. I hope this has helped or at least pointed you in the right direction.

One other thing. I had a CRT RPTV for a few years and thought it was pretty good but once I saw how clear and detailed an LCD TV looked I was sold on it straight away. The picture is sharp and makes CRT look positively fuzzy and, dare I say it, out of focus. All convergence and geometry issues disappear, there is no 'chicken wire' and dvd's look great. Buying a CRT RPTV would be a step backwards in my opinion.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    chicken - I agree with all that you say about LCD RP TVs. Diffused coloured spots are normally the result of dust and can be cured, in these TVs, by blowing the LCD optics clean with an engineer's aerosol blower (not a job for the feint hearted).

However, the Tosh is a CRT TV and is VERY different. The same condition does not occur on these TVs. CRVNOS' problem is almost certainly something different.

BTW - have you seen the new Grand Wega? Gorgeous!

3. damjanb

damjanb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > a 40WH08B, appear to have fine ghost
    > lines in green around a face etc
    >
    do these lines go all the way around
    faces, or just around one side?
    (see the first image on http://nl.ijs.si/~damjan/calibrate.html)
    I have a different set, also CRT-based,
    and used to have red lines to right of
    dark-light transitions, and green ones
    to the left (eg. green outline of right
    side of faces), even when convergence
    was fairly optimal.

I noticed this mainly for PAL sources
    through S-video (RGB input is worse,
    so i stopped using it).

I could eliminate the lines by
    adjusting the Y/C delay.

> All convergance patterns setup by
    > Tosh Engineer in the service menu
    > on installation.
    >
    If this was a while back, convergence
    may have drifted.

4. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, my mistake. I incorrectly assumed that the model mentioned was an LCD as CRVNOS was threatening to go BACK to CRT if he had no joy.

As far as the Grand Wega goes, yes I've seen it and it looks fantastic, not only in terms of its design but the picture quality is also excellent. Looks even better with the proper stand, makes it look like its floating in mid air.

Have you seen the new 60" LCD model? Looks to have the screen of the GW (though bigger of course) with a pedestal that is similar to the KL50W2. Supposed to have the optical assembly from the new VPL-VW11HT to boot. Now that has got to be one awesome TV. I'll definitely be giving that a good look over when its released.

Cheers.

5. CRVNOS

CRVNOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

Just got a 40WH08B, appear to have fine ghost lines in green around a face etc that has a lot of contrast with the background. Its worse on DVD's (Pioneer 525) but also on SKY Digital. Tried changing the £1.50 scart lead for a £30 jobbie but no differance at all. All convergance patterns setup by Tosh Engineer in the service menu on installation.

Any Ideas - this is set no 3, first one wascrap with reds, second one dropped on delivery and now this-seriously thinking of changing my mind and going back to CRT.