Green edges to faces on LG42PC1DA Plasma

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by xavier71, Jan 2, 2007.

1. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It reminds me of the "convergance" issues i used to have with a rear pro tv many moons ago, however with that i could use the tv software to realigne the tubes.... this being a plasma i assume that there is nothing the end user can do?

i got this plasma tv only a few days ago and i noticed pretty much straight away that something was wrong, depending on the background in the picture,(mainly if it is blue) there seems to be a green line down the right of peoples faces or all of the body, and also sometimes there is a dark line on the left side..

i have spent some time reading the threads in this forum however apart from a running in period there doesnt seem to be anything like what problem i have,, i have an engineer coming out tomorrow to have a look.

i have tried adjusting/tweaking the settings but to no avail....can anyone shed any light???:lease:

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    What is the source of the picture? Analogue/Digital TV, DVD, SKY?

3. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i first noticed it from my pioneer 575 dvd player through my yammy 2600 amp up scaling, but i have seen it on sky too....i have tried connectin directly and also bypassing my amp but its the same

4. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    my internet connection keeps going you'll have to bare with me..sorry.

5. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    What settings are you currently running for brightness/contrast/colour and the current XD settings?

Have you plugged the sky box into AV1 scart and configured it for RGB output?

What happens when you plug the pioneer 575 straight into the tv bypassing the amp.

6. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    contrst = 50
    brightness = 55
    colour = 27
    sharpness = 30
    tint = 0

CSM = normal

XD = on all at 0 except the mpeg nr at 5

i havent used a scart with sky as yet no.

7. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    this may sound like a daft question but i am looking at the plasma tv now with it turned off and there is a strong hint of green all over the panel is this right as i did not notice this in the shop?

8. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Are you using sky hd, then dont bother with scart. I would try connecting each source direct to the tv, this would help decide if the amp is the problem here.

9. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    when off (red standby light) the screen should be completely off, what happens with the tv on and an input with nothing on it is selected (apart from the message bouncing around).

10. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    mannyo like i said earlier yes i have tried connecting direct but no different and no it is not sky hd, i have it connected by s video converted thru my amp

11. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yeah the tv is in standby and the panel has a green hint,

12. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I'll have a look at mine with different lighting, but I dont think mine has a green hint when off. It maybe your lighting and the filter interacting but when on it shouldnt be noticable. I guess you could try turning the XD engine off, and reducing the sharpness to see what happens.

13. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try dropping down the sharpness to zero or as far as it will go, even -ve if there is a negative side of the scale.
    Sometimes the perceived sharpness of a set is improved by the manufacturer outlining areas of high contrast with a fine line - turning the sharpness setting to off my help...

14. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    For the best SKY connection you should use the SKY box set to RGB and go via SCART (quality cable only) to an RGB enabled scart socket on your TV. Setting the Sky box to SVideo (downgrade) and then connecting through an AV amp (downgrade again) is not good practice.

15. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Sounds like scaling artefacts to me, but if you get them when connected directly that would indicate otherwise (unless the screen scaling has the same effect as the amp's scaling).

Do try RGBSCART & see if that makes any difference. And definitely turn sharpness "off".

16. Czecho

Czecho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I had a 50PC1R with pretty similar problem. I also had a dead pixel so the TV was replaced.

It's not as bad on the new TV. There are still issues when there are objects moving rapidly from side to side or camera panning, but definitelly not as bad as before.

On my previos set when there were dark scenes or black&white I had a lot of green splashes all over the screen instead of black or dark colors.

It's not a case anymore. So I would suggest your set is faulty and would require replacement.

David

17. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    forgot to mention that my amp is connected to the plasma via HDMI, the amp is the yammy 2600 which i bought for the reason of its capability of converting and up-scaling to a high standard, plus the fact to cut down on cables and leads.

18. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    going to work soon but to let you know that earlier whilst looking round the back of the set i noticed that near the top in the middle there is what i can only describe as a "kink" .not good at all so its gonna be going back for that reason anyway but maybe that has something to do with the problem i've got, like i said the engineer is here in the morning so i will let you know,

cheers for the reply's

Mark.

19. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    It's still s-video out of the Sky box though and I don't know how good that Yammy is at upscaling, Faroudja chip is it?

20. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    2 engineers turned up and said that there was nothing wrong with it and that if i want a plasma then that is what i will have to put up with and live with it cos they are all the same, he also tried to blame my yammy amp upscaling until i showed him a direct feed picture which was the same.i told him about the run in time on low settings and aparently you guys dont know what you are talking about. alittle stunned with his response i played my trump card which was the damage, i had a feeling that this is what would happen that is why i kept it until the end incase he did, i showed him the damage and i tell you what if looks could kill,, lol. he then gave me a return number and i then went to the shop and got a refund.

back later.