1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green DVI AE500 & S97

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mplep, Feb 23, 2005.

1. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have an AE500 which has been working great over component with a Pioneer DVD player. Today I received a Panasonic S97 DVD player and also purchased an 8m HDMI-DVI Supra cable.

I cannot seem to get any resolution outputting higher from the S97 than 625P. Trying the 750P or 1125i gives a snowy looking green screen where the menus are just about legible.The AE500 Signal Mode shows 750P/50 when receiving 750 and HDTV50 when receiving 1125i from the S97

I've been on the phone to Panasonic UK whom got me to try different video settings but nothing fixes it. The call centre guy is referring to tech support before getting back to me.

I'm really dissapointed as I thought this setup would work.

I've also updated the S97 firmware to 85E536 from 85E528 which makes no difference.

2. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Still no go with this setup after playing for houers. I was wondering if anybody can confirm whether HDMI to DVI-D should work without any problems? I went stuck with Panasonic to Panasonic to avoid these kind of probs. :(

3. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I phoned Panasonic again today and they guy said it won't work! He stated that DVI and HDMI are different and the projector will not support this and I need the new model. I asked if they have a DVI player and he said not until June.

I'd advise people to be careful when trying to matchup equipment.

4. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
  5. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've sent the S97 back and am getting a Samsung HD-745 which is DVI not HDMI. It's a shame as the Panny looked great and the Samsung is a cheaper unit and probably not as good, but I want to take advantage of the higher res available. As i'm in the Channel Islands i'm getting hammered on these to and fro delivery costs :rolleyes:

I'm sure my 500 firmware is below 1.10 and no doubt upgrading that would be hassle as i'd have to send it overseas and be without.

Interesting that the US versions seem to work though but i'm done with this setup now.

Thanks for the input on this subject.

6. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SORTED!! BUT I'M NOT HAPPY!!

Got my Samsung HD-745 today and had the same problem! I connected up the Samsung DVI cable and it worked perfectly. I phoned my cable supplier and even before I finished explaining he said Supra had issued an advisory that their 8M HDMI-DVI cables are having problems. The packaging states it supports higher RES but obviously not. They have a new cable in development but don't know when it will be released :thumbsdow

I've had to ditch my S97 for the Samsung and lost £80 in P+P overall. :mad:

7. 69COU

69COU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    What firmware are you using on the Panasonic proj, as i have seen threads that it needed to be 1.10

How do you check the firmware version on a PT500 and how do you updrade it if need be?

8. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The firmware is 1.11 I believe, but is was the Supra cable that was the problem. I've returned the £80 Supra which does not support high res on my equipment (green screeens) and got a £25 7.5m Lindy cable which works perfectly at all resolutions. I've learnt a lesson with that Supra cable but must thank hificables.co.uk whom were very helpful and took the Supra cable back without any hassles.

Watch out for current Supra cables (the 8m hdmi-dvi at least) as the packaging still states it works with high res even though they know it may not and did not for me either. The UK supplier of these is very slow in replying and as a customer I felt let down with their attitude. At least I can tell you the Lindy works and can recommend them now. I've made the UK supplier aware of this thread so he can add his own input if he wishes.

9. pierrev

pierrev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to hear about your problems with cables ..

I have an AE500 with a bit of VB/FPN and have read that a DVI connection often helps reduce this, so was thinking about going down the same route as yourself (I currently have a Pioneer 565a via component) - either going for the Samsung 745 or the Panasonic S97 - from what you are saying the cable was at fault and presumably if you had found this out earlier you would have stuck with the Panasonic.

Having had both to play with , can you say which works better with the AE500 and were they both significantly better than your Pioneer when it comes to picture quality.

Cheers

10. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Firstly the Pioneer over component was not good in either mode. It appeared jerky above anything. Watching a scene near the end of "day after tomorrow" where a chopper lands makes this really stand out. I did like the Panasonic but never saw it in high res over dvi because of the Supra cable, but component was better than the Pionner.

The samsung though looks very nice in dvi, smooth and i'm very happy with it. As the Panny is cheaper now I probably would have that rather than the samsung just to keep panny to panny. That said the Samsung has not skipped a beat, is quite cheap and looks nice. I also updated the firmware (not sure what it changes though) which is as easy as the Panny.

Just be careful with the cables if you need longer lengths although my Lindy 7.5m seems to be doing a great job.

11. 69COU

69COU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    So how do you update the firmware of the AE500.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    mplep

Supra have had the Warning about the DVI/HDMI cables up on the UK web site for at least SIX months and dealers were warned of the problem many months ago - I supply Supra cables but not the Digital ones for this reason.

Some folk will tell you all Digital cables are created equal - this is simply not the case; especially so over long cable runs. I'd always advocate Sale or Return on long Digital cables if your not planning on a Tried and Tested combination.

Haven't a clue what your man at Panasonic was talking about - HDMI and DVI are not mutually exclusive; you need to ensure you have HDCP compatibility on a DVI Input if you have an HDMI source and there are the odd problems with EDID but in general you can make most things 'talk'.

Best regards

Joe

13. mplep

mplep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Turns out that there are people using the HDMI S97 DVD and the DVI AE500 (firmware 1.11) out there so that again flys back into Panasonics face. But whilst I was running through all the options with them I must remember that it was the cable at fault, I guess they got bored and thought let's just "tell him this" to send him on his way :nono:

If Supra have a warning on the website then they should have a similar item on the packaging even if it's just a sticker as the current packaging states 8m is ok at high res. That way I would have seen a possible issue without all the expense of returning and getting another player, thats what really bugged me you see.

I don't believe you can update the firmware on Panasonic projectors and it's a return to Panasonic to do this. The S97 though is a simple CD-R burn and insert into player to update.