Green dot on projector image

DannyBoy999

I have an Epson TW-5300 that I bought from Amazon about a year ago. It was an open box item which looked new and worked fine when I originally tested it plus showed zero lamp hours. Since then it's been sat in the box waiting for me to get my living room redone so that I could mount it on the ceiling and install a screen. I've just hooked it up for the first time today and noticed as soon as I turned it on that there's a tiny green dot, dead centre of the image. If it were a TV I'd say it was a stuck pixel. I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive problem... can anyone confirm?

ti33er

Hi

That doesn’t sound great ...take it Amazon have washed their hands of it by now?

Dust globs are common on these sorts of Projectors but would look more like a greenish tinted circle, not a definitive single stuck solid green pixel?

You could, if brave enough try opening her up and reseating the 3 x LCD ribbon cables along the lines of this troyinphoenix

DannyBoy999

Now that I'm looking at it up closer it does look more like what you've described - a greenish tinted circular shape about 2-3mm across. I originally discounted the idea that it was dust as it's dead centre in the middle of the image and also I'd tried cleaning the outside of the lens with no improvement. Is there somewhere else I should be trying to clean?

ti33er

Well I’ve never tried to get into the lens assembly, but it’s likely possible - it can be replaced entirely also at worst

...sometimes I’ve learned the dust specs can actually just be on one of the LCD lenses - if it’s baked on by heat, very hard to get them off without further damaging things

...rumour has it standard compressed air may leave a residue if you blast things with it and instead need a CO2 canister which is purer (some people still use traditional compressed air but with extreme caution, holding the can still and upright and deploy subtle secondary bursts as so not to release excessive contaminates).

Usually one can only see thee things with black or white extremes; so may just be better to live with it

Or get a JVC or DLP which are far less prone to dust

DannyBoy999

Just been speaking to Epson tech support and they seem to think a stuck pixel is the most likely cause. They have me running a 1 hour dead pixel fixing video to try and unfreeze it. If that fails they said they will look at servicing (no mention of costs, yet). I'm hoping that a dead pixel in a device as old as mine is classed as a manufacturing fault that they will fix without charge.

DannyBoy999

For anyone else with this issue, Epson had me try and fix the stuck pixel using this video:

After that failed to fix it they agreed to repair it - this is covered under the 2 year warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom