1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'green' cables ? ? ? ?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Steve J Davies, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Steve J Davies

Steve J Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sit rep:-
    got my son a ps2 a few weeks ago.
    fed up with cables plugged into front of telly so got a Joytech RGB Scart - AV Cable (no part or ref number on box that I can see).
    plug cable into RBG scart at back of telly and its all in green !
    use a different scart input on telly and colours are there but I am not using RGB on that input.
    I check a fora or two and find that
    a) Green screen was a prob on early PS2s (this one only bought 3-4 weeks ago !)
    b) people recommending a puchase of some software (for 18 odd quid) to fix it.
    I know stuff all about PS2 (as you can easily tell by now..) but it looks like either the PS2 goes back or I have bought the wrong cable. Box says 'for Playstation' in shop there was a SEL saying for PS and PS2....

All guidance accepted (please).

TIA,

Steve

funny thing on the side of the box the cablecame in is says "for a clearer sharper picture image"

2. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a) I have heard of the Green Screen problem on the PS2, but I thought it only affected the DVD Movies and not the Games (but I may be wrong)

b) DVD Region X solves the green screen on DVD movies, but like above, I am not sure for the games.

Anne

3. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Seeing as Sony intentionally crippled the PS2s RGB output I'd be inclined to send it back on general principles.

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    The 'green screen' problem is an issue with *ALL* PS2's, not just early models as is often incorrectly assumed. This is because the green screen RGB output is actually a design feature from our friends at Sony, who couldn't be bothered to implement industry standard DVD copy protection on the PS2. Their unique solution was, as the previous poster mentioned, to cripple the RGB output for DVDs, resulting in the green screen if you play a DVD with an RGB scart cable connected.

For games, this should not be a problem. I have used an RGB cable connected to the RGB input on my TV with no problems - full colour and a sharp picture. You should only experience a green screen with RGB DVD output via scart.

The solution is to use DVD Region X or use SVideo or composite cables, though both offer an inferior picture to RGB (SVideo better than composite).

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    is this on games too???

if it is, go into the settings and make sure you have RGB and not component selected.

6. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I bought an rgb cable for ps2 from electronic boutique just for games. The sales man did say that there are two makes of rgb scart leads that eradicates the green effect on dvd's but both were out of stock, he said one was about £15 and other about £25.

7. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yep, there are 'RGB' cables that eliminate the green screen effect with DVDs, but they do this by having a switch which outputs a composite signal when you want to watch DVD. By this method you get great games quality but the worst possible DVD quality.

The best compromise for most people if they use the PS2 for DVD is usually an SVideo cable. Not quite as good as RGB but still way better than composite.

I use component cables which are as good as RGB and also don't give the green screen problem, but there are only a few TV's that support component connection at the moment (mainly Toshiba).

The best solution is to use the PS2 in RGB mode just for games, it's a fairly poor DVD player anyway and is also horribly noisy compared with standalone players.