1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green Banding on Panasonic TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BillyNomez, Aug 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. BillyNomez

BillyNomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An issue which has partly been covered before - rsScott and Edd- but not fully closed, i.e a satisfactory answer !

Pana TX32PH40 has a faint green vertical band/ line just slightly right of center when using component input either from DVD with quality leads or PS2 and suitable leads.
    Not present if I use DVD and Scart to AV1/AV4, note the component in is AV4C and if that is in use disables AV4.

Only a faint image but I notice it especially on single dark colour backgrounds.
    Any ideas as to cause and possible remedy ? Others have mentioned it, happen on other Panasonic TV's ??

BRBN

2. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I'm sorry to hear that there are other people suffering with this tv and the same sort of problems i've had.

To update my situation, I finally decided that i couldn't put up with the numerous niggling problems i was experiencing, namely the faint green band on the component input, the bad moire lines, poor colouration, bad convergence and dirty looking screen. I contacted my retailer who after a long delay got a service engineer sent out to check my tv ( an engineer who had never actually had any experience of this particular tv, and yet became an expert only a few weeks later apparently!! ) he was able to fix the problem i had with the progressive scan image being shifted to the right and down ( not that that was particularly hard to do ) and I showed him all of the problems I was aware of and he told me that all of the problems except the faint green band were convergence issues which could possibly be sorted with a new tube but there was no guarantee, he said he would discuss the problem of the green band with his supervisor and panasonic when he got back to the service centre.

I also noted that after the engineer had sorted the orientation problem the moire lines had become even more evident.

I then waited for a call from the service manager, when it finally came about 4 days later I was told that he had been in contact with panasonic and informed them of my problems and they had told him that these would not represent a fault and claimed that poor quality of the image can be a factor of this television and its particular type of tube, they also said they had never before heard of a problem with a vertical green band and offered no solution!!!

The service manager said that they would replace the tube but cannot guarantee that this will solve the problems and may even cause them to worsen, I told him that this would obviously not be an acceptable solution and so he told me to go back to my retailer and try and get a refund.

I then contacted my retailers with a letter containing all of the information I had on the subject from the contact I'd had with the service engineers and panasonic.

After waiting over two weeks and not hearing back from my retailers, I phoned them and got to speak to the manager who told me that he'd spoke to panansonic and they'd told him roughly the same thing that they told the service manager and he gave me the number of the person he'd spoke to at panasonic technical and basically told me to talk to him myself because he wasn't going to do any more?!

So I call the guy in question at panasonic and try to find out whats going on. I was basically told that I shouldn't even be on the phone to this guy because he only deals with service engineers and he seemed pretty ****** off that he was even having to talk to me, he then started to tell me that my tv was absolutely fine and that I didn't know what I was talking about ( yeah cause from where he was sat I bet he could see my tv so well!! ) he then told me that the service engineer had aparently told him that in his opinion the tv was fine and just the same as all the other tx32ph40's he'd seen ( and this is the same guy who'd never seen a tx32ph40 before!!! ) the engineer had also told him that he'd fixed the vertical green band problem!!

At this point I was starting to get very f#%king annoyed with the whole thing, especially as the very un helpfull panasonic tech was adament that my tv was fine and that I'm just being too picky and I should just leave him alone and be happy with what I've got. He finally gave in and at least said that the moire problems could be resolved by a service engineer ( yeah right, cause they did such a good job last time ) and I should contact my retailer, i asked if he could contact my retailer to tell him this as it was my retailer who passed me on to him, the answer to that one was NO and Goodbye!!!

F#%KIN W#$%ERS

So now its back to the retailers again and then probably round in circles for a few more months until I finally give up and THEY get their way..........

So what has this all taught me,

Well first never, ever, ever buy panasonic ever again, as they don't seem to give a sh#t whether their customer are happy or not.

Secondly never buy from retailers in the back of home cinema mags, cause they don't care once they moneys in their bank.

3. BillyNomez

BillyNomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sympathies for some really poor customer service allround.

Have emailed Panasonic myself about some of the issues - its the green banding on the component input that is the most irritating although the dirty screen effect is another AND I notice that similar comments are coming through on the new supposedly ground breaking acuity sets on "screen looking like it needs a wipe on the inside" !!
    Response from them although prompt is frankly laughable, the sort of comments I would expect from a trainee at Comet on a Saturday ( no disrespect to all who fall into that category but youknowworrimean ).
    Issues remain unresolved but enough pros about the sets to outweigh the cons and as ever a set from any manafacturer does not appear to be the same as the next one off the line hence all the comments on this site about 'my set does this, why doesnt yours...' Pot luck ??
    Loathe to tinker with the set as may make it worse, trouble of getting a tech even to look at the set puts me off even further - just wish that Panasonic or any big company would own up/admit to /correct known faults as that would surely build a better a better customer base of loyalty, customer care and a decent product and then they would be shipping products out faster than they could build them....some of the smaller companys do this very well with a loyal following.

BRBN

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well here goes I'm awaiting a phone call from the service engineer company to sort out a date for a visit to fix the problems!! (Ha, yeah right)

I've just been watching some dvds for reference to identify some of the exact faults.

Below are the things I'll be showing the engineer:

All are from Denon 2800MKII via RGB scart, I've given up using component and progressive as the component image just wasn't up to scratch (fault of the TV's processing) and not using progressive stops the engineers and panasonic changing their mind every 5 minutes and saying that the tv doesn't/does support pal prog!?

Also most of the problems stated below can be seen when watching normal terrestrial tv and ntl digital but as you never know whats going to be on sometimes they are evident sometimes you can't, however I'd say that the dirty screen effect where it looks like the screen needs a wipe on the insideof the glass is actually more evident on normal tv like a football match or cricket.

General
    • Band running entire left hand side right at edge about 1” wide, lighter than rest of image.

Vertical Limit Superbit

• 0:29:00 to 0:31:20 – Very evident green colouration to the top of screen, see climbers hats at 0:29:55 and on.
    • 0:37:00 to 0:40:00 – Good example of general poor colour representation of screen overall especially left, right sides and top of screen also shows light glowing band at very far left side, 0:38:10 and on shows up moiré pattern on moving image very well.
    • 0:46:00 and on – Very good scene round camp fire shows up moiré pattern over nearly the whole screen apart from middle third.

Ice Age

• 0:30:12 to 0:33:00 – Very evident moiré pattern over whole screen except middle third.
    • 0:46:27 to 0:47:30 – Evidence of moiré pattern
    • 0:49:58 – Shows dirty patch on screen in top left hand corner, about 5” in and 2” down good example of what can be seen all over screen when panning on light backgrounds such as sky or sea, shows up a lot when watching cricket or football.
    • 0:58:06 – Shows up poor colouration of the snow very green tint behind the sloth.
    • 0:59:30 – Show dirty screen effect as sloth is sking along dirty patches can be seen over the snow till end.

Star Wars Episode II
    THX Optimiser
    • Contrast Picture Setup – Screen with white rectangle shows that sides of rectangle bend inwards, so not correct.
    • Brightness Setup – Screen with THX logo shows very obvious blooming around the two white squares on left and right hand sides of the screen.
    • Monitor Performance Setup – Convergence has worsened since last engineer changed settings.
    • 4:3 Aspect Ratio Setup – Image not centred and vertical lines on right hand side are not straight, they bend inwards slightly.
    • 16:9 Aspect Ratio Setup – Image not centred and vertical lines on right hand side are not straight, they bend outward slightly.
    • All setup instruction screens show dodgy vertical lines with bumps in them, not quite straight.

Film
    • 0:02:40 to 0:03:59 – Shows purple haze at very top of screen image then the usual green tint, also dirty screen effect can be seen on light sky background around 0:02:48.
    • Whole film – At bottom left of the image where the black border meets image it slopes of downwards to the left.
    • Whole film – Top of image the picture seems to be slightly moved to the left, when watching a panning scene the image seems to wobble at the top, see 0:44:00.
    • 1:08:27 – Shows poor colouration of sky, very green tint going on.

Denon 2800MKII Screen – No DVD
    • Very obvious moiré pattern
    • Faint line running horizontal across whole screen about 2/3 up screen, can be seen sometimes when watching tv

I'm going to get a b&w dvd tomorrow so that I can test it with no colour at all to see what the results are, any recommendations on a good quality b&w DVD

If anyone else has experienced this sort of thing and had some sort of luck getting it sorted I'd really love to hear from you so that I've got more ammo for when the engineer arrives.

Any general feedback on whats been discussed above would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again

Rscott4563

5. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update

Well after another 2 months of going round in circles with my retailer, Panasonic, and the authorised service engineers, I am apparently getting a new tube fitted sometime in the next week or two, once my retailers receive an authorisation number from Panasonic?? Yeah well I'll believe it when I see it...

But one question I have, is there anyway I can find out if a new tube has been fitted, like a serial number of the tube I can check or a service menu I can go in to which might show a serial number or hours of use??

Its not that I think the people I'm dealing with are lying b@st#rds or anything, well actually thats exactly what I think!!

6. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could etch a tiny tiny scratch right in to the corner of the screen (the kind of scratch that only you would see, cos you put it there)