Greece Goverment crazy or sane?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by hencole, Sep 5, 2002.

1. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2238242.stm

So what do people think to this display of crazyness? Any Greek AV fans about?

I think this will have severe consequences not only to the Greek eceonomy, but also their society. The whole thing reeks of facism, I can't belive the EU will let them continue it though.

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,161
    This will get thrown out by the EU courts - but only when someone takes the Greek equivalent of a Judicial Review and pursues it that far.

It's very rare (in fact I can't think of a case) where the EU courts will pro-actively rule on member state law without someone having brought a case.

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know much about Greece, or their legal system, but I'd be shocked if something like this could stand up in court.

In this article in The Register, it mentions that the Greek government is "incapable of distinguishing innocuous video games from illegal gambling machines"

It's pretty scary that they would go to such lengths just to crack down on gambling.

4. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have thought that before the 'Planespotters' fiasco. It is clear to me that the Greek authorites are masters of over reaction and plain pig headedness. I can see them sticking by this, for a while anyway.

I was thinking mobile phones would have to be banned because of games like SNAKE pre-installed on them.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,880
    I read on Teletext that they have even band playing games in private. My first reaction was it was a hoax, looked at the date, not 1st April.
    Burning books next????

6. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was talking to a friend of mine who went to Greece. Supposedly when he was at a station in Athens police came up to him and a friend playing cards and confiscated the pack and threatened to arrest them. Scary stuff.

7. mrmc74

mrmc74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This sounds like the kind of law the government would pass in Australia...

8. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0