1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greatest Hits Albums

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by eviljohn2, Jun 1, 2005.

1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Who really buys greatest hits albums these days? I've found that with CDs generally being a lot cheaper now than they were a decade or so ago that I don't bother and spend a bit longer getting to know a bands full back-catalogue. Of course this also avoids the problem of most GH albums being a shameless marketing ploy and often miss out many of a bands best songs either through choice or rights issues.

I do like live albums though. :)

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    These days most GH albums come out for Christmas and usually have 2 or 3 new tracks to catch both the hardcore fan and the more casual fan

3. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    i buy them only if ive just started to get into a band and missed a lot of there older stuff, i bought Iron Maidens 'Edward The Great' GH which definately contains some of the bands best songs.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I've got a few GH CD's by bands/singers that have released a couple of singles I like, but would not say I was a real fan, or they have also released some real rubbish that I have tried to avoid.
    I also have the 3 Queen GH albums simply because I have all their others and this just makes the set is complete. Same with a few other bands as well. Also as mentioned, they do oftain contain new tracks these days to get people to buy them.

Mark.

5. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Which to me normally shouts record company rip off. I avoid them and try to find a bands back catalog on the cheap.

6. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'll usually try to get the back catalogue, unless the band is a complete 'singles band' and the albums aren't up to much.

The last great Greatest Hits album I bought was Supergrass - 'Supergrass is 10' Absolutely brilliant from start to finish, and a good example of a great singles band with some mediocre albums :smashin:

7. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Oh Flooded no. Supergrass. Please tell me it's not true. I really had begun to trust your judgement :D

8. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I was surprised that it was as good as it is, but I stand by my decision :D

Idoexist - I'm sorry if I've stooped to a new low. I'll get my coat:suicide:

9. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,278
    I'll only get a greatest hits album if its a band I have been told are good but haven't heard them myself, and relatively old so have a greatest hits album to release. Then there is always the internet :D

10. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    True, but I dislike MP, MP3 Pro or WMA. Or any other music compression. It takes a lot of the feeling and space out. I only hope it never gets to the point where record companies switch to downloads as the only way of buying music. It would be terrible and the end for me.

11. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The most recent GH album I bought was Seal--Best of 1991-2004 DVD-A. Not a huge fan, but I've enjoyed his singles. Moreover, the MCH mixes are well done (and artist approved) AND on the DVD-A is a bonus album of many of the same songs (and few others) recorded in an acoustic setting (also MCH--and, I might add, quite nicely done). Plus a collection of 7-8 videos (it's in the next room, don't recall the exact number). Essentially, I've waited to buy any Seal music until a GH package was available, as my level of enthusiasm for his music doesn't warrant a full catalogue investment. With this set, I'd have bought it in standard CD if there wasn't a hi-res version--as I don't have any other of his albums.

A few other GH packages I've bought in the past couple of years are the REM--In Time collection and The Police collection--each because it offered hi-res MCH mixes. Would not have purchased them in standard CD format as I have what I like of their respective catalogues already.

For some of my favourite artists, if a GH package contains new material, I consider buying it (depends on how much of it there is and if it's any good).