1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greatest film year ever?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by gargoyle, Sep 21, 2005.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Definitely has to be 1982 when the following classics were released-

Tron - cgi in its formative years, light cycles, flying discs, cindy morgan!

ET - speilbergs best (imho)

The Thing - Carpenters all time classic

Star trek 2 - easily the best trek film ever

Superman 2 - again, best of the lot!

Blue harvest/aka revenge of the jedi/aka return of the jedi - even though it wasn't released until 83, there was much frenzied anticipation at this point!

Bladerunner - arguably ridley's best (after alien)
    Poltergeist - again original and best.

Mad Max 2 - as above

48 hours - again, as above.
    1982 - What a year!

2. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,138
    1985's my fave.

Day of the Dead
    Return of the Living Dead
    Lifeforce
    Fright Night

Good year for horror.

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    :eek:

Wash your mouth out!

The mighty Superman The Movie knocks this one for six. Had we got the Richard Donner version of Superman 2 we should have had, then it might have been another matter. As it is we have the dumbed-down version courtesy of Richard Lester and the Salkinds.

A potentially great flick that was severely compromised by Richard Lester's complete misunderstanding / lack of respect for the material and the characters, not to mention a penchant for woefully misplaced comic moments. Its strength was in the footage already shot by Donner that survived in this version of the movie.

There is a petition to have Warners release a "Donner Cut" of the movie. Warners and Donner are both up for it apparently.

Fingers crossed...

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Best year for movies?

Toss up between 1939 and 1940. Check out those classics! :smashin:

As to 1982...

Well, firstly there's not much point in including movies that weren't released in that year namely Mad Max 2 (1981), Return of the Jedi (1983) and Superman 2 (1980).

Secondly, a word of advice - any attempt to persuade people that 1982 was a great year for movies really shouldn't include cinematic turkeys like Tron. A movie that was truly emblematic of everything that was wrong with Disney at the time.

1982, if not the landmark year for movies per se, was however a landmark year for SF/Fantasy/Horror movies. To gargoyle's list add Paul Schrader's quirky remake of Cat People, and Cronebergs's Videodrome - two rare examples of horror movies for an adult sensibility.

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    :confused: Tron is one of the most influential movies ever made. It's not supposed to be a cinematic or artistic tour-de-force in the same way as a Kubric production, for example. The beauty of Tron lies in it's ability to transport the viewer so effortlessly to another world (a hallmark of all disney productions IMO).

Amazing, stunning, influential, imaginative, ground-breaking, exhilarating......I could go on for a while ;)

Agree with me, or you'll be de-rezed by the MCP!

DT

6. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,833
    Eagerly anticipated and then mind numbingly boring and disappointing.

7. fullofstars

fullofstars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dynamic Turtle, purely out of interest what are your top five movies of the last five years?

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Mum, tell gargoyle!! he's being silly! :D

Gary

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Influential on what or whom pray tell?

Don't confuse technical innovation (early use of rudimentary computer graphics) with artistic influence.

Even twenty years ago when I was a younger, less demanding thing, the only place Tron transported me to was the Land of Nod, by way of a world inhabited by Hollywood Sci-Fi stupidities of the crassest kind. This movie hit the cinemas and disappeared rapidly, in the days when half-decent SF blockbusters were hanging around for months.

Yes, I'm painfully aware that "It's not supposed to be a cinematic or artistic tour-de-force in the same way as a Kubric production...". The problem is it barely approaches the cinematic depths of a Michael Bay production.

This was the movie that was uncerimoniously booed when previewed at the World SF Convention, leaving Disney executives present completely bamboozled. They made the fatal mistake of assuming that all that is required for a good SF movie is pretty pictures and lots of FX, and the fact everything else about the movie (little things like the script, for example) would strain the credulity of a five year old, would go un-noticed.

This is even acknowledged by those at Disney as one of the low points of the studio's existence.

A major stinker, and as involving as watching someone else play a video game. :thumbsdow

10. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214

Not a fan then? :rotfl:

I liked it anyway :D

and yes, to the above poster, startrek 2 makes that year the best for movies ever, all by its self ;) :smashin:

11. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

Yeah but it did give us the fantastic line
    "Come. Son of Jor-El kneel before Zod" :clap: :clap:

You really need help for this delusion that you've got that Blade Runner is the greatest thing ever commited to celluloid. :suicide:

Repeat after me:-

Blade Runner is okay not fantastic

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Hmmm... Undecided. :D

13. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I stand by my list - tron may stink storywise but it was completely innovative and looked wonderful on the big screen - in my book, its was original in its time as nothing like it had ever been seen before (or since)

Superman - yes, its a brilliant film especially with the wonderful john williams score, but superman 2 in my mind IS the superior of the two - my humble opinion.

Bladerunner - again, I stand by its inclusion as I consider it ridley's best (after aliens) - each to his own :)

Return of the jedi WAS released in 83 but I DID mention that!

Mad Max 2 was actually released in 1981 - I watched it in 1982 (twice)

14. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    everybody should remember that the_pauley was the reviews editor for "The Dandy" or was "The Beano" 20 years ago. His retrospective of the works of Jean Luc Goddard for the under 5's his passed into folklore :D christ you were hard to please as child. i have this vision of a small boy in glassess, wearing a suit - sitting making notes on nazi referenaces in disney movies and telling his mum he wants to to see the François Truffaut retrospective at the NFT for his next birthday :D I liked Tron - it had nice colours in it. :smashin: i saw it when i was 16 took a girlfriend and it was cool.

as for lovemunkeys comment about blade runner - its not worth commenting on. :D the argument has been trodden a 1000 times before. i'll argue about it again when i've seen the SE. until then its just too painful :D

Gary

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I dont really rate Bladerunner at all. [​IMG]

For a start it hasn't got Steven Segal in it. :rolleyes:

16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    If it makes you feel more comfortable to pigeon-hole someone into some bizarre stereotype in order to come to terms with the fact that they were discerning enough to spot a turkey like Tron when they saw one, then feel free.

Let me assure you the reality was decidedly different.

So, bearing in mind your opinion of my critical faculties, the view that I held in the same year that I viewed Tron, namely that Blade Runner was (and still is) one of the greatest ever works of filmed Science Fiction, must be well off the mark too. :D

17. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Pauley, you and i have crossed swords a lot in our time. i meant nothing by the comment just having a laugh thats all (Its friday and i'm feeling release happy :D ) sorry if i offended you - it wasn't the intension.

Sorry.

Gary

18. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Only 5? :( :

Taegukgi
    Hero
    Oldboy
    Princess Mononoke
    Solaris (don't laugh, this is a hugely under-rated film and had a profound emotional impact on me)

I'd also like to include Ghost in the shell 2, Final Fantasy & The Incredibles for the same reasons I like Tron. They are fresh, imaginative, technically innovative and really push the boundaries of animation & CG, which I've always been intrigued by. Once again, not emotional tour de forces by any stretch, but fascinating stuff nonetheless. Also loved Zatoichi & Ong Bak for different reasons.

Pauley, I honestly fail to see how anyone could NOT be fascinated & intrigued by Tron's visual style. I agree that it is not a great film in terms of script & emotional impact. Yes, VFX etc. can hide a multitude of other failings in a film (Final fantasy is a prime example).

I stand by my initial statement that it was amazing, stunning, influential, imaginative, ground-breaking & exhilarating.

DT

19. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214

Another good years for films are the ones when Under siege and Under siege 2 were relased. :D

Segal in blade runner? that could work

"its too bad she wont live, but then again, none of the bad guys in my movies ever does" :rotfl: :rotfl:

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Not offended in the least Gary, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was. Just joining in with the jousting and jolly banter. :)

My mother would have loved me to be as industrious as you portrayed the younger me!

21. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The visual style -at the time- was indeed fascinating and intriguing. We had lots of magazine articles and previews on TV showing of the SFX in the movie to whet our appetites.

So what happens? We get to the cinema see the visuals on the big screen - "Oooh!" and "Aaah!" for a bit, but then the realization slowly dawns that everything else about the movie is total pants. Laughable beyond belief. A textbook example of everything that was wrong with the majority of SF cinema.

As Steve N so succinctly put it - "Eagerly anticipated and then mind numbingly boring and disappointing."

Tron was not a movie born of the need to convey a great moral or social message. The trouble is it wasn't even born of the need to bring a great story idea to life. It was born of the need -as so many bad movies are- to cash in on a fad. Or in the case of Tron two fads:

1. The burgeoning computer games market with its attendant leap forward in computer graphics.

2. The need to be the next Star Wars (and hopefully duplicate its success).

Everything else was an afterthought, including unfortunately the script. The result is a movie that is of no more consequence -or influence- in the annals of cinema than any other "fad" movies. Tron is pretty much the SF equivalent of Breakdance - The Movie.

It was a major yawn-fest when it was released and its only novelty was the visual style. But that style has -to put it mildly- dated, and badly. The average schoolboy can produce CGI 1,000 times more ambitious than that his home PC - but would you pay to watch him do it?

I said before that the Tron experience was akin to watching someone else playing a computer game. Let me elaborate on that - it is about as involving watching someone else play a very early Atari or Commodore 64 computer game.

Blade Runner, to cite an example from that same year, also tempted us to the cinema with the promise of dazzling and innovative visuals and style by the bucketload. The difference between BR and Tron was that the visual "window dressing" in this case was the adornment for a work of great imagination, complexity, emotion and substance.

And what is more it was a visual style that has aged well and was extremely influential (and continues to be so 20-odd years later), as opposed to looking totally archaic within 5 years of release.

22. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,521

23. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Nah! :thumbsdow

Gladiator is a good movie, but it is strictly a by-the-numbers Hollywood production, and the kind of thing Ridley Scott could make in his sleep with no effort whatsoever.

Blade Runner and Alien are his classics. Both are labours of love - dense, multi-layered, enigmatic, ambiguous, and with truckloads of sub-text and meaning that his later work (including Gladiator) doesn't have.

Gladiator aped a genre (and quite well too) - but Alien and Blade Runner both re-defined a genre.

24. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,833
    I totally agree with these comments.
    I felt Gladiator "cheated" to some extent in the way the major fight scenes were done. The filming techniques were very similar to those used by pop video makers with fast cut/chop/montage editing used to give the impression of dramatic close quarter fighting. But gave no real sense of what was happening until the final cut where the camera pans back to reveal our hero standing as the victor.
    I also groaned when the emperor challenged Maximus at the end. The film had portrayed him as a physical coward, and also desperate for popularity.
    It strains credibility to then expect that he would really put himself into such a lose/lose situation even against a wounded opponent.

25. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    One good thing about Gladiator. It's not Kingdom Of Heaven :thumbsdow .

26. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I Disagree i think Gladiator is a great movie and in time will be deemed a "classic"

Sorry but Bladerunner is so boring it makes watching someone else playing on an Atari seem exciting ;)

27. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simple, Raiders Of The Lost Ark!!!

28. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned: