1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greatest ever RPG's

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Solomon Grundy, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,417
    What are the greatest RPG's on the older consoles? I am looking to expand my collection on SNES, N64, PS1 and Megadrive. Nothing too expensive though, maybe up to £20 per game...they must work on PAL UK consoles too. Cheers guys, thanks for the help.

P.S....don't mention Suikoden cos that will upset me (swapped my original copy and official guide for V-Rally a few years ago before it went up in value).

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    SNES - Chrono Trigger, Zelda A LInk to the Past, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana
    MD - Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force 1 & 2, Shadowrun
    Saturn - Panza Dragoon Saga, Grandia, Dragon Force, Shining Force 3
    PS1 - FFVII, Wild Arms, and of course Suikoden although best not mention that ;) .
    N64 - Zelda OOT, Paper Mario, Zelda MM

I'd say that those are amongs my faves on the above systems.

EDIT: Why not run the SNES ones and MD ones on an emulator. I've got most of the above 16 bit titles on my PSP and using Save State you can just save it where ever you are turn off the psp and then be straight back into it when ever you get a spare 30 mins! :thumbsup: Then if you're looking at them more for collection (as opposed to playing) reasons then naturally discount this suggestion. :smashin:

3. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My Favs are...
    PC Engine = Ys 1+2, Far East of Eden, Dungeon Explorer
    Megadrive = Phantasy Star 3+4, Warsong, Shining Force 1+2, Shining Force Cd(mega cd), Landstalker, Lunar the Silver star story(mega cd),Lunar Etenal Blue(mega cd), Snatcher(mega cd), Buck Rogers.
    Playstation
    Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, Alundra, Grandia, Kings Field 2+3, Lunar Silver Star story, Lunar Eternal Blue, Persona 1+2, Tactics Ogre, Front Mission 2+3, Vagrant Story, Wildarms 1+2.
    DreamcastGrandia 2, Phantasy Star Online 1+2, Record of Lodoss War, Skies of Arcadia.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Not played many RPG's as they are not really my types of game. The one I enjoyed the most was Zelda: Link to the Past.

5. gearguy

gearguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You realy should get a Sega Saturn - home to some of the best Japanese RPGs ever!

Albert Odyssey Gaiden, Grandia (also on ps), Grandia Museum (semi-sequele to it only on saturn), Panzer Dragoon Azel/SAGA and many more ^_^

6. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My personal favourites are as follows;

SNES: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2, Final Fantasy 3, Secret of Mana, Earthbound and of course Zelda Link to the Past. Secret of Evermore wasn't too bad either and while not strictly speaking an RPG I enjoyed Shadowrun too.

PS1: Xenogears (bigtime favourite), Final Fantasy VII, Rhapsody, Dragon Quest VII, Brave Fencer Mushashi, Azure Dreams, Chocobo's Dungeon (not to everyones taste I know but I like stuff like this), Parasite Eve 1 & 2, Legend of Mana, Saga Frontier 1 & 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Lunar 1 & 2 (They did really nice box sets of these if you can find any on ebay), Suikoden 1 & 2, Vandel Hearts (only liked the first one).

There are tons of other RPG's that are decent but those are just some of my favourites which come to mind. One special mention for Panzer Dragoon Saga though even though you didn't ask about Saturn games, it really is worth hunting down and buying a Saturn for!

Apologies for including imports but there really are so many games that were released stateside that never got released here :( BTW you'd probably pick up a chipped or US PS1 for cheap if you looked around so don't rule them out!

Also try local papers rather than ebay alone. I responded to an advert just saying "video games for sale various titles" a few years back and it turned out to be some crazy old guy selling his game collection. From that guy alone I bought a mint shrink wrapped copy of Earthbough complete with scratch & sniff cards and guide for £20.00! Panzer Dragoon Saga mint for £25.00 (this was when it was already worth a load too!), a rare UK PAL copy of Breath of Fire 2, FF2, FF3, Breath of Fire 1.

So it just goes to show you can still get a good deal if you look in the right places!

7. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Playstation1 recommendations:

Vandal Hearts 1 & 2
    Front Mission 3
    X-Com - Enemy Unknown

Would have also added Tactics Orge & Final Fantsay Tactics but I only played those on the GBA, fantastic games though!

You might notice a pattern to my recommendations, yep, I like my turn-based tactics games :)

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I'd put them more as strategy titles to be honest as opposed to RPG's. Good games though - I loved all the Gallop brothers games, especially Laser Squad and X-Com.

9. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Yeah, I suppose you're right really, although at the time they were always to be found in the RPG sections of videogames stores so they kind of qualify ;)

I was a fan of Gollop right back from Chaos and ReblestarII on the speccy, fantastic games even today.
    Me & my mates still fire up the speccy emulator on the pc now & again on a sunday, Chaos is THE perfect hangover game...bar none!
    lol, still creates a laugh when someone becomes so desperate they release a goey blob onto the map :rotfl:

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Yes quality games indeed!! Laser Squad has to be my fave though with the big dusty bin battle droid! I'd say that either the Amiga or PC version is the version of choice as it makes a noise when opportunity fire is triggered. The Speccy version didn't and this allowed for cheating :nono: .

11. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Have you played Laser Squad Nemesis? Looks like an interesting email game. I bought an X-Com email game, but was never able to get the bugger to work as it didn't seem to like XP :(

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Yes I played it for a bit but couldn't get into it. Waiting for people to take their go was a bit of a pain and games went on for days.

13. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    lol, could see that being a problem. Actually Laser Squad passed me by, don't think I ever played it. Might have to see about tracking it down. Wonder if I could get it emulated for the PSP :cool:

Whoa, think I've just seen another option: http://www.mobilegamefaqs.com/gameinfo.php?id=615
    Looks like it might work on my Sony Ericsson T630 :D

14. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    RPG sections? you must have some good game shops your way, round here we've got one category and thats m0t0rb1k3s

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    GBA: Golden Sun 1+2

Portable Perfection with Advance Wars 2

16. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Zelda Links Awakening: Game Boy
    Zork Grand Enquisitor: PC DVD ROM
    Shenmue 1/2: DC/Xbox

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    If you liked the other Gallop games then you will love Laser Squad, it's an absolute classic! You'll have to tell me what the phone version's like if you dabble with it.

18. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :offtopic:
    Tetlee & CAS FAN
    Have you tried the Xcom game thats on the GBA SP ?? Just wondering how good or bad it is?? Use to love Xcom on the psx superb game with so much you could do.

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Sadly no, as I don't have a GBA. It seems reasonable enough though and will probably be enjoyed by fans of the series. I think that this is the game you are referring to.

EDIT: I notice that thre reviewers tilt at Gamespot is a 9 so sounds a good game!

20. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes thats the one - from the reviews it sounds like a good game just need to find somewhere selling it at a good price VG+ are doing it for £20+ so need to find it somewhere else.
    Any idea if its getting a uk release??

21. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Very true. I remember playing this years ago and it kept me hooked for months. Its very close between this and LttP!

22. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Elder scrolls 3.
    YS (master system)
    Final Fantasy 9

23. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I know it's not on your list of machines or even that old (still the odd release for it believe it or not) but if you can pick up a Dreamcast nice and cheap (plenty on ebay) then I can definately recomend Skies Of Arcadia (by the way it's also on the cube), one of the most enjoyable RPGs I've EVER played :) .

24. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Been looking at this one myself :) best price I can find is on ebay for £20 delivered(imported). Looks like a good adition to the series, although I can't understand why they didn't relesae it on the DS, would've been perfect :(

25. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hmm most of the classics have been mentioned already so I'll give it a go

Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door (GC) - has style and charm in spades, one of the funniest games I've played in a long while, very tongue in cheek. Is also a fantastic RPG with a nice twist on turn based strategy adding skill based moves once attacks have been launched.

26. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Ultima 7! Awesome, awesome game.

27. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Good call, was just thinking of adding this one myself. TBH it's the only game of this style that I ever managed to get into, mainly due to the fantastic humour!

I've just upgraded to the NTSC version for the proscan so guess it's back to the start for me, oh well...... on this one I don't mind for once :D

28. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,417
    Anyone have an opinion on Illusion of Time on the SNES? Is it any good as I might buy it...

29. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the Snes and PlayStation are the two consoles where RPG's have thrived. I personally like the old 16bit top down isometric RPG's (As many classics are), Ie, Alundra, Zelda et al...

Not too much of a fan of TRPG's though. I didn't mind Suikoden though, although that technically isn't a true TRPG as Vandal Hearts or FF Tactics are...

30. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I agree, one of the few RPG's I've actually completed. It's quite long though, didn't have the heart to go through it again on the GC!