1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great website about picture quality

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cybersoga, Dec 29, 2003.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    becomes interesting when you start reading about contrast ratios......

video contrast- 30:1!!!!
    good cinema contrast- 100:1

the maths seems good...... so is everyone still so sure they are achieving 3000:1!? :D Im not..... but i dont know enough.... gimme some time and maybe i will start some interesting related threads!

ad

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well are those not interlaced artifacts? If you are in prog scan mode i would imagine they shouldnt be there...... of course you know what that means you need to quadruple check! :D

ad

5. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the little blue light is on on the dvd player, i am definately sure there is no difference when switching between the two, and i mean no difference...Is it possible my pj is not compatible?!it does not list 575p signal in the signal select menu, or is incompatibility out of the question. I have set the tv type in the Denon's menu to Ntsc because pal does not work.
    I saw a thread in the progressive section describing the same effects, he said a new cable sorted it out.
    fred

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    quite a lot of info for a short post there fred!

I dont know the denon, so bare with me. Can it be set to auto so that it outputs prog scan on PAL or NTSC? If so, what happens when you do this with a PAL disc and then an NTSC disc?

You say that the Z2 does not list the imput you want, so in which case, what does it say the signal actually is? I strongly doubt that the Z2 is incompatible.

You say that PAL does not work..... is this pal prog/pal interlaced/both? When you default output to ntsc, do ntsc discs look ok?

ad

7. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok yeah it can be set to auto, i think this was the default setting and when watching movies the z2 just stopped receiving a signal. the only way it works is if i set the tv type to Ntsc.
    On the Z2 input screen or whatever it has the list of input types, it only lists 575p and a few other ones. I have just set it too auto as this is the only one that works.
    I don't have any Ntsc so i don't know.
    Do you think it could be the cable?i use a really cheap 10metre £10 jobby. I read somewhere that this solved a similar progressive scan problem.
    fred

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, am i getting this right..... you are having to make the Z2 output an NTSC signal (but your source is PAL) to the Z2 which is in auto..... nothing else works?

So you cant get the denon (in auto or PAL) to even output interlaced PAL? (i assume the Z2 tells you somewhere whether it is PAL or ntsc)

I can appreciate you having problems with what you have so far said works. I assume that the denon will be outputting the signal as pseudo NTSC (with a PAL rate as opposed to ntsc). I dont know how the Z2 will be coping with this..... it might simply be doing the wrong thing to it so it looks messy. What i dont understan is why either the denon or the Z2 isnt dealing with PAL native. I assume your old player was happy enough firing out PAL interlaced to the Z2, so i assume the Z2 is capable enough here. Can you try the denon on a PAL only tv and see whether it sees the interlaced signal? If you cant, then its something with the player (or the cable) so either try and get hold of an older non Pal prog firmware and see if you can get it to work or try and borrow a better cable from someone. I wouldnt imagine that the symtoms you describe point toward a cable fault...... if you can consistently get something to work (even if it is badly) it generally suggests that hardware is ok and it is something to do with software.

Dont get to worried about it yet...... im sure that it will be resolvable in some way or other

ad

I dont kno

9. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it may be because the Z2 is confused with the signal. for some reason the 'film' and Progressive settings can not be changed when the Denon is connected, even with an interlace signal, they are both dark grey and progressive is set to L1 and the film is set to off or whatever. I could change the progressive setting when i connected my Pioneer before-why the hell isn't it let me change it now?! Could it be that the Sanyo is trying to de-interlace the progressive signal?!!hence a loss in detail, about the level of video quality, and looks as if there are about half the normal dvd lines. Or is this out of the question? when i get some time i will try and get an updated firmware to try and sort it out, it is stupid how i can't output a pal signal, even though my Sanyo should cope with it.
    The picture isn't bad at all, but at times looks awful. Some dvds look great, but i have never really seen a top of the line video player do its job so i can't even remember how good/bad videos were.
    fred

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Even if the sanyo were trying to deinterlace again, i dont know this explains why you can only get a signal when outputting as ntsc...... id have a word with the supplier.....

ad

11. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but it could explain the poor quality...right?
    Supplier was Empiredirect @ £170, at that price it is still a great piece of kit. I will try and connect my pay little tv up via scart and see what happens. I am sure it is the dvd player which is at fault.
    cheers
    fred

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fred,

Basically you would end up with something truly horrific that might not remotely resemble your picture or nothing at all were it doing that...... in any case, my feeling, were this happening, is that it would be the Z2 at fault.

The biggest fear we (myself and someone more knowledgeablebut is banned :rolleyes:) have is that the PP firmware you put on there has simply screwed up PAL altogether.....

ad

13. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i haven't put any firmware on there yet ad, it came like it is. I am trying to find out which firmware i have atm, but it is not working. I will post tomorrow, when hopefully, i can get a figure.
    Pal did not work out of the box, is it possible empiredirect fiddled with it too make it multiregion or something?
    fred

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oh sorry fred, i was under the impression you had. This being the case, it doesn surprise me that pal prog doesnt work! But it still isnt right that it wont do pal interlaced. Check that you cant get interlaced using the auto or pal presets using a nomal tv...... if not, you should get it replaced

ad

15. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interelaced pal does not work as well, i have a very early version of the firmware so i have the newest one, sent from Mrc, so i will see how that goes. will report later tonight
    fred

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    fingers crossed for you :D

ad

17. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ad-i have had difficulty updating firmware.
    But i think my dvd player is at fault-well for many things.
    One is SINGLE-FIELD INTERPOLATION as seen on the page http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html 8/10's down.
    This describes one of my problems well, diagonal lines with 'step' patterns. But it is particularly obvious. For a particulary bad example on the scene of the world is not enough in the Mi5 building at the beginning when j b is in moneypennys office the handles on the filing cabinets are most certainly not lines, they are crazy step like streaks.
    they give a brief explanation on the website but is it the players fault?
    cheers
    fred

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well if it wont work for you...... get them to replace it and make sure they check it before they send it.

ad

19. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will give them a call tomoz, i doubt they have any Denon 2800 mk11's left new pretty much anywhere, they may even send me a 2900...doubt it!
    cheers
    fred

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well if i were you..... if they have no replacement, demand money returned and demand THEY pay postage and things..... although i can think of counter arguements, the thing never worked (at all with PAL), why should you have to pay anything for it?

ad