1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great tip for Arcam HDMI Users with Projectors

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Crustyloafer, Dec 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Firstly I have to thank Tyrone, our Sharp projector area sales manager for this one. This tip is for anyone who is using an Arcam DV79 or DV29 and also for users of the Denon DVD-2910 and DVD-3910 who are using a projector or other high quality display device. I'm sure it is applicable to users of other HDMI/DVI equipment.

Anyway, if you go into the 'Engineers Menu' on the Arcam player by pressing '4792' whilst in the setup menu there is an option named 'RGB Limit'. This is normally set to 'On' which is believe stops the player producing 'below black' levels and 'above white' levels. This is designed for lower quality display devices such as budget plasmas. Turning this feature off will enable the player to produce another 16 levels of black acoridng to Tyrone. This results in hugely increased definition and contrast once you have recalibrated your dispay device.

I'm not entirely sure of the technical details of this feature, perhaps John Dawson might kindly be able to expand upon this subject in order to clarify it for myself and anyone else reading this.

To do this on the Denon players ther is a function in the setup menu called 'DVI Black Levels' I think. If you set this to 'Enhance' this serves the same function as the above Arcam feature.

Anyway, to summarise, after having applied this change and recalibrated the projector I can honestly say it was like changing the projector to a model costing twice as much. It looked like I had gained another 1000 points on the projector's contrast ratio.

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Interesting. Can anything similair be done at all on a DV27a via prog scan?

Won't hold my breath though.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    No, I believe this function is only applicable to digital video connections.

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    27A has an RGB (sync on green) capability (hidden menu code: 2001). When "Allow RGB" is On, it allows you to go back to the main video menu and change HQ Video from Component (YPbPr) to RGB. Side effect is it clips below black and above white when this is used (at least it does on my display). It also clips below black and above white if "Allow RGB" is On even if your using Component YPbPr, so best to leave it switched off. By default (off), it already outputs correct levels via the progressive Component YPbPr outputs which preserve below black and above white.

5. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I checked my DV27, and both options are off on the 2001 hidden menu, I am not using PS, anyway...

But I checked the other hidden menu, 2010, the macrovision option is gone, does anyone know what the option CRT does ?

6. gregeas

gregeas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the DV79 connected via HDMI/DVI to a Panasonic PWD6UY plasma. Would it make sense to try this setting?

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Give it a go, you can't really do any harm, if the picture looks better with the 'RGB limit' function off then I would leave it off.

8. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No one knows what the CRT ON/OFF option on the hidden menu 2010 means ???

9. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crustyloafer,
    This setting does not actually do what you think it does. It has nothing do do with going below black or above white.
    The feature was included because a small number of displays on the market are (incorrectly) set up to work with PC type RGB video levels over HDMI/DVI.
    The default setting is 'on', this causes black to be 16, white to be 235. These are the correct levels according to the HDMI spec.
    If set to 'off', then the data gets 'range expanded' so that black is output as 0 and white is 255. These are levels are standard for PCs (DVI was originally a PC format), so for a DVI display that is primarily designed for PCs it might be a more appropriate setting. There also are a few HDMI displays that are set this way.
    This setting only affects RGB video, so will only have an effect in DVI mode or in HDMI mode when 'digital video' is set to 'RGB'.
    If you think you get a better picture when it is set to 'off' then maybe your display is a PC type, or more likely the display is not set up correctly.
    For HDMI displays, you can tell whether its RGB input is the correct sort by turning up the brightness and then switching the DVD player between YUV and RGB mode. If all is well, there should be no discernable change in black level between the 2. If the black level appears to be somewhat higher in RGB mode, then you have a 'PC' type display.
    Having said that, if you have an HDMI display you are better off using YUV mode anyway.

Regarding below-black / above-white: All the Arcam HDMI DVD players can do this but only in YUV mode. RGB mode cannot support it due to issues with the HDMI chip which has been well documented on this and other forums.

Pete

10. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Pete, what would be the best setting on a pioneer 435 HDE ??

11. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hifi addict,
    This display is HDMI so the best setting is to have 'Digital Video' set to 'YUV'.
    'Limit RGB' will not have any effect, but it is best to leave it set to 'on' in case you use RGB mode in the future.

regards
    Pete

12. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i had to change the CRT mode on my DV88+ to get it to display property with my Sim2 DMF. I'm not sure what it does - but if you aren't having problems i wouldn't touch it.

CaM

13. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13