1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great sub wanted for movies and music.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Rob, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Will be looking to buy myself a decent sub before the end of the year.Is there one which is great for both? I know there has been much discussion on subs for movies, but how do they fair up music wise? Was interested to read about ther Mirage BP400 sub. Was given top marks in HCC , something no other sub has managed, but is not listed. Does anyone know why? Budget would be up to £1500ish, or less if poss. I don't want to replace it again! Of course I'll dem first, but its easier to get a shortlist beforehand.

Cheers Rob.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Try something from MK, can't think what would be at the £1.5k price area, but the V125 is around £1k.

[ 20-08-2001: Message edited by: ReTrO ]</p>

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks guys. I'll check them out.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,405
    You should also audition models from the REL ST range such as the Stadium III.

6. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Miller & Kreisel's MX700 is fantastic on music and movies.

It is a compact sub around your budget. It uses 2 x 8" bass units in push / pull configuration. As far as I'm aware, push / pull is unique to M&K. The two bass units are mechanically out of phase with each other, so harmonic distortion is effectively cancelled. The two bass units are, however acoustically in phase so the output of the subwoofer is dramatically increased. Effective output is 400% higher than an equivalent non push pull design! This means that headroom is dramatically increased, and the sub is running generally well within its capabilites. Two 8" drivers, partnered with a 200watt amplifier that has been specifically designed to work efficiently with the exclusive MK designed bass unit, leads to a subwoofer that is fast, tight, deep and dynamic. Musical with slam! If you like the sound of that you should just experience two of them!!! (At CES last year MK demonstrated their fantastic S150P monitors with FOUR MX700's!! Breathtaking!!