Great Steak place in central London

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Monty Burns, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hey Guys

we've recently spent six months in South African and now REALLY miss a great steak now we are back in London.

Can anyone recommend a great steak house in central London? Our budget can be as much as £100 a head and we will first be going to the London Eye. To get home we will be going via Paddington.

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

2. Coffin

Coffin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    I went here about a year ago and it was very nice. I'm not sure how the pricing compares though as I wasn't paying during my (only) visit.

3. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    This place was on Ramseys best restaurant last year. We went and had a superb meal. A couple of other friends have been too.

Santa Maria del Sur – Menu

4. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    TBH the closest thing you'll get to a south african steak in london is TGI Fridays.

I go there all the time cause its the closest thing to Spur. The Spurs here dont really have the same quality or anything. If you are really after a good steak though you cant beat going to the butchers and slapping it on the BBQ.

Dont go to the Aberdeen steak houses or anything. Not as good as they say, Gouchos is quite good but pricy. Jamie Olicer opened a new meat restaraunt near St Pauls which is meant to be pretty good.

But a good ol T-Bone with Jack Daniels Glaze cooked rare is the closest thing to a Spur Steak with Monkey Gland Sauce.

Also stay away from all the Gordon Ramsay style places as they are just show off arty farty places. As I'm sure you know from eating out in SA, steak is seasoned slapped on a grill then on a plate for the best taste, none of this £70 price tag nonsense.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  5. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,722
    I was going to say Gauchos as per above. Only been to the Richmond one but there are a few in Central London. Very nice piece of Argentinian steak

6. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    It was nice, I went to the one in Charlotte street with some clients from work the one night, was nice but I thought wildy over priced for what it is. the best steak I had in London so far was from a food market in Euston. It was this steak sandwhich but hot dam it was good steak.

7. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    harrods food hall, coocked in front of you, fantastic and cheap as well

8. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Er.... thanks :D Not really sure about TGI's in the UK. Eaten on I-Drive a few times and High Wycombe before a film but nothing more than a meal before a film or so...

Spur was OK, but more the "Wimpy" of the steak world for me. Spent most my nights in Butcher Boys :smashin: (Don't know if they were all over SA, I was in Durban (Umhlanga Rocks))

I like the Hawksmoor website, will take a look (good first impression!) and Gauchos is one small chain that keeps popping up, must be something in it :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, I'll check these two out!

9. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    Wimpy really??? Wimpy is south africas answer to a greasy spoon.

Umhlanga Rocks has some good places especially if you drive down south a bit to Margate\Ramsgate etc some good places there (OK, so its quite a drive down south).

TBH Durban is more of a curry place there are a few good steakhouses (cant remember names off teh top of my head though) but one place that springs to mind was on the Pavillion by the harbour. I'll need to google its name, they did nice cocktails too.

Best steak I had in SA was a Tex Mex Blou Bull 2.5KG of meat!! Yummy!!!

10. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :D I was being a little OTT but yeah, in my opnion, Spur's was certainly no better than a Pizza Hut (not that Pizza Hut is bad! Just want something a little more special).

Love the Monkey Gland and of course, winding up people with it who don't actually realise there is no monkey gland in it! :rotfl:

You know anywhere to pick up good monkey gland in the UK?

edit:

Anyway, thanks guys! Booked a Gaucho's..... Should be a good day out, London Eye, Dungeons and then Gaucho's. Can't wait!

11. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    lol, I managed to convince my GF that its made by Witch Doctors haha

Unfortunately I cant find any Monkey Gland sauce in the UK, you can get the Spur BBQ and White Sauce from any SA shop (like the one under Charing Cross Station) and you can get the Steers Monkey Gland sauce too.

The only reason I said TGI's was because the Jack Daniels Glazed steak is the closest thing to a steak smothered in Monkey Gland sauce.

12. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
  13. C225

C225

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    Wasn't that impressed by the Gauchos at teh o2 I went to a couple months ago teh steak was very good quality but the cooking was not even, I asked for medium rare but one half was rare going up to medium well the other half.

Was in London last weekend and went to sophies steakhouse in Covent garden and would thoroughly recommend it good quality steak at reasonable prices and cooked to perfection :smashin:

14. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    Just remembered another place, its on one of the boats by Embankment Station. I think its called the Queen Mary.

Its quite pricy but sooooooo worth it. I ordered a 12oz rump, came in one THICK piece, I kid you not it was so soft you could cut it with a butter knife.