1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GREAT NEWS! Pioneer 503hde plasma screen owners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Cool-hand, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi all,

I have some really great news for Pioneer 503HDE plasma screen owners. I have recently been talking to a Pioneer technician that has shared a little inside (ground level) news with me.

Right then, straight into it. The best news is that Pioneer are planning to offer upgrades to the 503HDE tuner box to make it PAL progressive compatible in the Autumn (which I am also told is when a standard should be agreed). No upgrade plans have been made for the MXE commercial model unfortuneatley. Other ammendments are to the selection of AV inputs. When using component YUV (no auto-switching) we currently have to cycle through the AV input settings, which activates each input as you pass it. This will now be more direct and faster.

There is also talk or revamping the way teletext is cycled too. How this will work I am unsure of as an extra button would be required on the remote control. (any guesses are welcome), unless they intend to upgrade the remote as well, which seems unlikey but still possible.

He has confirmed that the 503HDE has an 8 bit processor and the MXE is a 10 bit, the latter having a superior grey scale. This is also being talked about as a possible upgrade. How this will be done he couldn't even comment on as he said it was way too early to blueprint.

Interestingly enough he also commented that the 503MXE model is not a true PAL progressive compatible model and has been misinterpreted as being PAL progressive compatible. Even though it will display an image the output is NOT guaranteed by Pioneer. He has now lab tested over twenty odd MXE models and found differing outputs on a number of them when connected to a PAL progressive outputting device (sorry I forgot to ask which model he has been testing them on, will try to speak to him again later). He notice on some models after a very decisive lab test that part of the screen was missing or the screen was very marginally overblown (again missing part of the film/picture).

To conclude at this stage I have also been given the 503 HDE engineer code to access the technical menus which are very comprehensive.
    It gives all the basic information such as Firmware Version, OSD Version and model Version plus lots more.
    I lost count after 120 on the menu options with 13 pages. Some of the menu options are test programs such as pattern mask test, full mask test and mask vs frequency test as you would expect. Other options are PAL vs contrast, PAL colour gain, comp HDTV contrast, data copy (for download I presume), RGB drive (individually set), GAMMA level, three trouble record markers, plus lots more.

On page one there is a Monitor accumilated time record, a tuner box (center) accumilated time record and a Pulse accumilated time record all with reset facilities.

I hope this news cheers some of you owners up, out there. If you want to know the engineer code please PM me.

If anyone has the 503 MXE model please let me know as I would be interested to see if the code works on this model to.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I suspect the PAL proscan will be added with the 10bit video at the same time. All it requires is a tuner box swapout. I suspect the swapped boxes would then be rechipped by Pioneer and shipped out again.

The input selection for remote buttons is usefull. It's in the manual but explained very badly, so badly it doens't tell you what it does.

Cheers for the info Snowman.

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Interesting feedback.

Not at all sure what he is refering to with regards to the MXE not being 'true' PAL progressive.

The MXE manual confirms that it accepts a 625p (575p) signal and certainly those of us using players like the Arcam DV27 are getting great results with PAL progressive.

Until the standard is formally ratified I guess nobody can actually claim to be PAL pro compatible, but I've certainly not noticed any problems.

Happy to check out the engineer code if you want to PM it to me.

Be interesting to see if it is any different to the integrator menu.

Mark

4. rman

rman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Would it be possible to send me the engineers service code -
    It would be greatly appreciated
    ronnie_parmar@dell.com

Best Regards,

R

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Mark hasn't posted on here in over 4 years, and that thread is 5 years old.

You may not get a response. ;)

6. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Well as it happens!!!!

Hi

Snowman here, but unfortuneatly I melted away quite afew years ago! :D I can't honestly remember the code now as I sold the 503 a year after buying it but you may find it if you search hard enough on the forum!!

I think it was something like....
    leave the screen in standby but off.
    press 'menu' then 'enter' then '0'
    or
    press '0' then 'enter' then 'menu'

Bit surprised to be revisiting this thread I gotta say!

Good luck fella!

CH

PS. I guess I'll see you in 5 years then :rotfl: :rotfl: :hiya: