Great Local Installer & Freeview in Non-FV Area

Mark Ward

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've had a great day.

My analogue reception has always been bad. I keep checking the Freeview site but it's definitely NOT in my area.

Last week I went down to a local aerial Installers shop and having decided against $ky he told me that if I fit an external aerial I'll get a better picture, he may even be able to get Freeview working.

So the man turns up today with my new huge aerial, a pole to take it higher and a Nokia 221T Freeview box.

He tried the FView with my current aerial, replaced my RF leads with new satellite cable using heavy RF connectors and I have a 50% signal. I've been looking at it all afternoon and the picture is fantastic.

OK, I can't get Ceebeebies and Parliament's Audio pops all over the place but other than that it's great. I also understand there is a Music Channel I still can't find, but being in a non-reception area I'm chuffed to bits.

The total bill?? £145.00

I'd agreed to pay £330 odd quid installed for the huge aerial plus Nokia 221T.

Things like this restore my faith in human nature.

I'll use them again. G A Evans in Maidstone if anyone local wants to see if they too can have Freeview :).

Mark.

Just think how good it will be when you finish the job properly by fitting one continuous run of satellite cable from the aerial to the Freeview box!

That's how it's supposed to be done according to satcure. No in-line connectors or wall plates. If you do use a wall plate they offer a special one that uses "F" connectors).

Fman

£145 including the freeview box!? If so he must really need the work!

I know that he merely changed my leads and plugged in the box, but it was the fact he took the time to check first and was honest enough to tell me I didn't actually need the new aerial that I was so happy about.

Mark.

why did you decide against sky.

I too can not get free view in my area but am considering sky. Everyone including the mags say sky is better than freeview anyway in terms of picture quality and potential etc. I am just waiting until sky release their freeview equivalent in the next month or so.

why did you decide against sky.
Personal choice really.

I didn't like the Red Dot being able to ring out on the phone!

I also don't watch sport and buy my movies on DVD so that only leaves the Family Pack with I don't want to pay for.

I've very little experience of Sky but it also appears there are just a stupid amount of adverts, or will I find the same on Freeview?

A one off cost for a MUCH better picture than analogue and some extra channels seemed the ideal match for me.

Bearing in mind I only wanted the "free" channels the fact that ITV2 is only available on Sky if you pay for one of the packages was the deciding factor.

Mark.

I read it wrong I thought you had a new aerial too.

The Freeview postcode checker is very pessemistic. My mothers postcode gives Sorry you cannot get Freeview. In fact she gets all channels perfectly. (Saffron Walden).

This must be putting a load of people off Freeview DTT. I would recommend trying a box regardless of what the Freeview site says if you can borrow one or get it sale or return. Actually I think there is an old thread about this.

I can't say anyone's postcode checker has impressed me. When we first had ntl installed it said we could get it, once it had been installed I checked and said it wasn't available.
It also offered the option of entering another postcode, so perhaps its some sort of game, guess a postcode that does work and you can have it. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom