Great idea from the Royal Mail

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its enough to let the philatelist in you out for a few weeks. The Royal Mail is going to issue a stamp celebrating each and every Gold Medal winner that Team GB produces. Now that's what I call a good idea!! :thumbsup:

BBC News - London 2012: Gunnell gives design 'stamp' of approval

But no doubt this thread will degenerate into one that knocks the Olympics and knocks Team GB :boring:

(But I'm rootin' for them)

Are they going to increase the price a little bit more for each one?

They should have done some thing like this a long time ago, with all the other great people that actually do some thing for the country.

Perhaps with there price hikes they can use some money to sort out there 'signed for' delivery recording. I have yet another

Item AU108729739GB was posted at 1 Coltsfoot Driv RH12 5FN on 30/03/12 and is being progressed through our network for delivery.

It happens all too frequently, I'd say upto 10% of the 'signed for' items I send. In every occasion the item has been delivered successfully but the lazy, unprofessional postman has not recorded it. I know that the one above has been delivered - 2nd April.

I pay extra for this service so that I can check delivery, but RM seem to think they don't have to deliver the service and it is upto me to telephone\email the recipient to check delivery.

I ring up and complain every time and they refund the payment but they have never been apologetic, and each time claim it is really rare, despite having over 10 successful complaints on register from me.

This time I've had enough and I'm going to initiate a 'lost mail' complaint and put them to some extra effort.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
That's a pretty cool idea, l like it, although I wouldn't be surprised it half of these stamps never see a postbox due to all the collectors hoovering up the stock.

Perhaps with there price hikes they can use some money to sort out there 'signed for' delivery recording. I have yet another

It happens all too frequently, I'd say upto 10% of the 'signed for' items I send. In every occasion the item has been delivered successfully but the lazy, unprofessional postman has not recorded it. I know that the one above has been delivered - 2nd April.

I pay extra for this service so that I can check delivery, but RM seem to think they don't have to deliver the service and it is upto me to telephone\email the recipient to check delivery.

I ring up and complain every time and they refund the payment but they have never been apologetic, and each time claim it is really rare, despite having over 10 successful complaints on register from me.

This time I've had enough and I'm going to initiate a 'lost mail' complaint and put them to some extra effort.

Cheers,

Nigel

As the 'sender' I totally agree. I pay for a signed for service to ensure I know when an item of post has been received and (unfortunately) to prevent recipients claiming non-delivery. Waste of time and money in these instances.

As the 'buyer/recipient' I don't actually mind. If it's something of intrisically low value I almost hope the postie won't bother leaving a card and will just deliver the item. It saves me a 4 mile round trip (on foot) to pick up a signed for delivery. I'm an honest person and if it's an eBay item will usually drop the seller a quick e-mail to thank them for the item and to let them know the item was delivered without a signature giving them the opportunity to pursue if they so wish.

But no doubt this thread will degenerate into one that knocks the Olympics and knocks Team GB
There was never a chance of that happening and it hasn't happened.
On the other hand I couldn't care less about all these people doing silly things and think the stamp idea is absurd.

Don't give a toss about the Olympics, however the royal mail does do something called 'Smilers' for a small fee you can get a bunch of stamps with something personalised adjacent to the stamp, It makes a good gift.

:)

I put this on one...

11twoys.jpg

...a relatives new puppy.

Smilers® provided by our trusted partner, Snapfish by HP | Royal Mail Ltd

:)

Royal Mail is releasing an A-Z landmarks of Britain series of stamps:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We do live in a beautiful country :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 01.03.02.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 01.03.02.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 01.03.51.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 01.03.51.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 01.04.38.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 01.04.38.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 01.01.31.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 01.01.31.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 173
There was never a chance of that happening and it hasn't happened.
On the other hand I couldn't care less about all these people doing silly things and think the stamp idea is absurd.

I stand here before you all and admit I was wrong.

But why is it an absurd idea? Are all commemorative stamps absurd? Should business not be allowed to celebrate the success of Team UK? Is it absurd that people should be allowed to print their own designs on stamps now as well?

I don't think it's absurd at all. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more Support Team GB promotions/tie-ins.

Royal Mail is releasing an A-Z landmarks of Britain series of stamps:

We do live in a beautiful country :thumbsup:

It's like online dating, they never look anything like the picture :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom