Great films turkeys and the rest.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by saj1d, Feb 9, 2009.

1. saj1d

saj1d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    How many great films are there left?I can honestly say that there have been very few in recent times,however the one's that give us some ray of light in the art of film is somewhat inspiring.I'm not just talking about the current films either,

remember the classics like Dirty Dozen,The Great Escape and Jaws.All these films were built on great storytelling and hitting a raw nerve with the audience.Fast forward 30 years later and there are still some turkeys around and not at Christmas getting stuffed!

The point is i don't mind the 2 hour filled action flick with no story,because it does as it say's on the tin..it's a rollercoaster ride with no strings attached.Turkeys are a cheap cash in and with only one

thing on mind that deprives the viewer with any real substance of material.

I know idea's are running out and the same stories are gettin told or reworked a thousand times,but please spare us the junk Cinema and who say's im being cynical as opposed to optimistic.The rest of the industry leaves a huge GAP on originality,now ther's a word i like and would welcome change to entertainment.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    It looks like the industry is running out of ideas, but I hope that fresh directors create fresh movies. I like to run comparisons with similar trends, and the first comparison that goes through my head is with 'The Rolling Stones' They are still going just about, but their songs ran out of ideas quite a few years ago. We all only have half a dozen great ideas to work with. It is hard to keep pushing yourself past half a dozen movies. Fresh faces hopefully create fresh ideas. Each idea strips away closely related ideas. So 1 idea = 60 lost movies (just example). This is quite an incremental amount of lost stories. Anyway.. the final thought is that there are still stories to be made, just get some fresh people involved.

3. saj1d

saj1d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yes there are more stories to be told,and maybe we are yet to hear them.The human mind tends to get bored really quick if it's not stimulated or kept active.The real art is often the trickery to believe in

a great story and to take that bit of magic and it's then you begin to understand what the magicians real secret is behind his mirrors.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224
    I'm not a writer but they reckon they are only a dozen plots at best. Everything else is a mixup of those plots. I think that's more or less right. It's the style in which they're told which makes it special.

All the best
    Bri

5. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    If writers came up with something fresh, most people would dismiss it as being weird/crap/nonsensical etc.

6. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Fresh level 1 to 100. How about level 80, not 100?

7. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,224
    Being John Malkovich might be of the order you're thinking of. It's one of the best but I don't know many who agree with me.

:eek
    Bri

8. IAN P

IAN P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,042
    Well,these Plotlines cover just about every film i watch.I don't think there are many(if any)more genres that that.

9. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    I'm not saying anything about that.. the thread will just end up huge as usual. But it's a bit of an optical illusion of the brain.
    Oh Pincho please continue... no don't!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  10. aprout

aprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    I've no doubt that there are loads of great unfilmed scripts out there. The problem is that the industry has become such a business these days that the major studios rarely take a chance on anything that isn't guaranteed to make them a profit, & the more imaginative independent films don't have the budgets behind them to get a fair shake at the box office.