Great Expectations (BBC)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Starts at 9pm on Tuesday 27th December 2011 on BBC One.

Staring Gillian Anderson, David Suchet, Ray Winstone, Douglas Booth

608g.jpg

Cast list include: Gillian Anderson plays Miss Havisham; David Suchet is Jaggers; Ray Winstone is Abel Magwitch; Douglas Booth is Pip; Mark Addy (Game Of Thrones, Robin Hood) is Pumblechook; Claire Rushbrook (The Fades, Ashes To Ashes) is Mrs Joe Gargery; Vanessa Kirby (The Hour) plays Estella; Paul Rhys (Being Human, When Harvey Met Bob) is Compeyson; Paul Ritter (Quantum Of Solace, Money) is Wemmick; Harry Lloyd (Robin Hood, Game Of Thrones) is Herbert Pocket; Jack Roth (Lewis) is Orlick and Frances Barber (Doctor Who) is Mrs Brandley .

Quick teaser at the beginning of this trailer

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member

Not sure about the casting of Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham. Maybe I'm just used to a less attractive lady (sorry Martita) in the David Lean version - she was perfect in the role. Looking forward to this anyway, like I do all the BBC Dickens adaptations.

Last edited:
Great Expectations Trailer - BBC One - YouTube

Not sure about the casting of Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham. Maybe I'm just used to a less attractive lady (sorry Martita) in the David Lean version - she was perfect in the role. Looking forward to this anyway, like I do all the BBC Dickens adaptations.

Then again Great Expectations has been done so often for film and TV that this is about re-interpretation and they are obviously putting a different spin on the character. Anderson was great as Mrs Dedlock in the excellent Bleak House mini-series.

Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
The first episode was good, but really enjoyed the 2nd and a great finish to the episode! Shame there is only one more left tonight.

bosque

Novice Member
I'm saving all three episodes to watch in one go, don't think Ray Winstone has the nobility required to bring Magwitch to the screen but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
I thought some of the plot revelations came thick and fast in the final 3rd episode and hard to digest who had what and did what to who. Would of worked better with a longer running time. Still enjoyed the mini-series, but not up there with the bbc's best.

Batman2

Distinguished Member
Just watched the 3 episodes from christmas on my settop box and I quite enjoyed it.

I have to say whatever Gillian Anderson does to try to disguise her in a different character, I would still hit it, lol.

For some reason she reminded me of Hannibal Lecter in her portrayal of Miss Havisham with her mannerisms.

meltonboy

I just watched all 3 in 2 nights and enjoyed it.

Quick question -
What actually happened to the money ? Pip was going to refuse it beacuse he thought it was rewards for something criminal. it was then explained that it wasn't and they rowed away with it.

ta

MB

meltonboy

^^ Thanks and well done for finding this old thread !

Not sure why they feel the need to cover the same story again after only a few years. It's not like there's a shortage of Dickens stories !

And i really don't like the word re-teaming. That feel clunky and made up.

MB

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom