1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great deal on a lamp

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dejongj, Nov 20, 2003.

1. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Hi,

I just wanted to share with you all that I got a great deal on lamp for my Sanyo PLV-30. I paid £301.98 including VAT & delivery for a brand new lamp fully warranted.
    The warranty exchange is fantastic and really easy. Unfortunately I experienced it as the first lamp was not as bright and kept switching off my projector. The process was smooth and easy, I sent it back, they inspected it that it was the same lamp (fair enough) they sent out, and I got another one. Which was perfect and saw Holland humiliate Scotland last night in nice bright orange colours!!! Anyway, the best part was that the chap I spoke to (Mike) was genuininly sorry to hear that the Lamp was not right.
    Also due too the postal strike and personal circumstances I was late in sending the lamp back. The supplier chased me to exchange the goods!!!! How good is that, brilliant!!!

I have not affiliation with the company, but there communication, buying process and customer service has been spot on. And I haven't even mentioned the little surprise, but won't spoil it!!!

Thoroughly recommend that you contact them if you are in the market for a new lamp, or want to get a spare ready just in case!!!

Oh and the company is called...

http://www.lampz.co.uk

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

2. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi dejongj

How many lamp hours did you get in the end before it needed changing?

Cheers

Croc

3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    In the end I was able to squeeze out approximately 3150. The lamp was still bright, but switching off regurarly less than 30 minutes use at a time.
    The new lamp is very bright, and the projector stays on. I thought £301 was a very good price, don't you think?

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .......err, wouldn't call it deal of the century :D

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Hi Kramer, do you know where you can get that lamp cheaper? The nearest I could find was £347? Please fill me in?

6. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    When I enquired about a new lamp for my Sony VPL-PX1 a couple of years ago I was told that it was about £350 (or perhaps even more?), but that it was the same bulb as in the Davis DLP's, only the housing was slightly different. However, the Davis lamp and assembly came in at only about £250 and the tech said he could change the part to allow the Davis lamp to fit and this would cost about £300 in total!! Bloody Sony! I wonder if this is the case with any other PJ's?

The lamp for the HS10/20 is only £250 I believe, does anyone know how much the Z2 lamp is, as I will own one of these PJ's soon?

Cheers

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No (& no intention of looking either) but the price seems about average for most projector lamps.

Given new (decent) PJs are available for £700, just under half of that for a replacement lamp for an older PJ doesn't seem brilliant value.

For comparison, HS10 lamps can be sourced for £225/250.

Not a comment on the PJ you have or price you paid, just an observation.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    someone on avs quoted a figure in the region of $300 if I recall, certainly less than that of the plv30. BUT, that was an american price and who knows if it was remotely reliable

ad

9. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I may now get an HS20 instead, if I can afford it!

10. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    nice

11. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Kramer,

It is a fair point indeed, and it has crossed my mind of totally changing the projector. Heck a second hand PLV-30 was put up for sale 1 day after I bought the lamp for only £350. But that was not the point of my message was it.
    The PLV-30 lamps have always been expensive, now I found a company who provided a good deal and wanted to share that. Heck for all I know, those cheaper lamps you are referring too (and you know you can't compare the different makes/models) might even be better priced than the prices you quote.

I don't understand why people all of a sudden start quoting that the PLV-30 lamps are expensive, we knew that for years. Now there is a place where they are a bit cheaper!!!

Besides changing this projector to one of those cheaper ones is not something I fancy as the resolution is no where near good enough to have 1:1 PAL progressive scan. Secondly it is not just changing the projector, it will also be the ceiling mount, according to murphy's law they will have a different throw distance so it is more holes in the ceiling, filling up the old ones...Nah on the face of it it seems reasonable, but I do not think it is really practical feedback.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the throw is a real bugger...... the Z1 and Z2 are roughly compatible...... but the plv30 is one of the longest throws i know..... very unusual at its price from what i can tell.

ad

13. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another plv30 owner here, im glad of the throw distance myself cause i think with my room layout it would bug me that i could see the projector if it had a short throw, i usually only use my pj for dvds and then its only used maybe 2/3 times a week, i just dont have the time to watch many films, dont earn enough to pay the mortgage and loads of dvds these days, so my bulb usage is about 250 hours , and its on for at least 1hr 30 mins (standard film run time) or just over. At the time i brought mine it was the only decent midprice machine about unless you wanted to pay £3000 plus, the Ae100 was only just on the scene then and then all the probs with it steered me away, plus i think it looks awful(to me guys!) boxy and like a heater. Even the magazines liked the PLV30,(dont go on about people who ignore magazine reviews! how many people flogged their sony1070 amps when it only got 3 stars).long live the plv30! £300 for a lamp is not bad value if it can last 3 years given its good track record.

14. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Cheers Geoff! I fully agree. Yes there are 'better' 'cheaper' projectors nowadays, but still quite a few of the cheap ones have to scale in order to project a PAL progressive picture. The PLV-30, considering its age does not, which is great considering its age.

15. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    dejongj

If you could squeeze 3k hours every time, the % difference in running cost compared to any other PJ would be pretty small. At my rate of use my PLV30 will be 12 years old anyhow! :D My viewing habits and pattern of use are similar to Geoffc10. I am greatful of the long throw and I certainly can't justify an upgrade at present. If I had to though, I'd rather pay £300 for now on a new bulb and save up for a while then upgrade to something sustantially better, like one of the new generation DLP maybe.

Thanks for the lamp info. dejongj:smashin:

Cheers

Croc

16. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Gosh you guys are good! Maybe we are telly addicts, during the summer we have hardly any use. Perhaps just for a DVD or a late night Xbox game.
    But during these dark evenings, it is on from 6pm until about midnight every night. Hey my little girl love's watching the bedtime hour on CBeeBies. The fimbles on an 8ft wide screen is surreal!

But then again we don't have a normal telly at all.

17. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont understand people who try to get to the full hours out of their bulb in a few months. also if its used for many hours then £300 for our bulb every 2/3 years to panny bulbs, its still cheaper to us, why brag that you have 800 hours on your bulb in so many months, you just end up burning a hole in your pocket b4 us sanyo owners get there.