Great bracket for mounting TV over fireplace

davidgelb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We just moved into a new house and unfortunately, the only place to mount the TV is over the fireplace. I am not a fan of having to look up while watching TV, so I began researching other options. I ran across a company called Dynamic Mounting who makes a bracket called the Down and Out mount - it comes in 2 versions - one is strictly up and down, while the other also swivels left and right. I chose the latter as I figured it would be nice to have the option of swiveling the TV once it is down. Their website is Fireplace TV Mount | Pull Down TV Mount | Dynamic Mounting

I had mine professionally installed, but it is actually fairly simple to do. It mounts just like most brackets, although you do have to use the included instructions in order to determine how high above the mantel you need to mount it in order to get the amount of down travel you want.

It is a little pricey, but it is built SOLID! The craftsmanship is amazing and it works perfectly. There are 2 gas struts that counterbalance the weight of the TV so raising and lowering the TV is simple and effortless. Once the TV is mounted, all you have to do is adjust the counterbalance...once that is done, the TV feels weightless.

My biggest concern was that you would see the top portion of the mount when the TV is in the lowered position - that is true, but honestly, once I began watching TV, I completely forgot about it. The other nice thing is that you can adjust the tilt of the TV when it is in the up position, so for those times that I am only watching TV for a short period of time and don't lower the mount, the TV is tilted to a very comfortable viewing angle.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you need to check the placement of the studs before you order. In my case, the studs are spaced 16" apart, but what I didn't check was to make sure that the fireplace was centered on the studs. Unfortunately, when my crew mounted my bracket, it was off center. I didn't like the look so I contacted Kurt at Dynamic mounting and he talked me through what I needed to do. They sell an extra wall support that spans 3 studs and this allowed me to center the bracket over the fireplace. It now looks perfect!! If your studs are spaced wider than 16" or if the fireplace is not centered over the studs, save yourself some time and headache and just order the extra wall support when you order the bracket.

Lastly, the customer service at Dynamic Mounting is amazing!!! I emailed them with several questions before I ordered and had other questions once everything arrived -I received email answers from Kurt very quickly. He is polite and extremely helpful!! Plus, they offer up to $100 back in rebates, so that brings the price of the hardware down a bit.

If you are faced with having to mount a TV over fireplace, I highly recommend this mounting solution. I am so glad I did and love watching TV in that room now!! Please let me know if you have any questions.

-David

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom