• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Grease very disappointed

p623

I was really looking forward to this in HD but what a let down the image was only marginally better than the dvd up-scaled from my oppo!

and the 5.1 sound appeared to suffer from the same strange dull compressed sound stage that both the R2 & R4 (English soundtracks) discs display:devil:

Paul

Kevo

I agree about the PQ and DD 5.1.

The Hd picture looked better in the outdoor shots in the sunshine but otherwise looked SD to me.

It's clear that Paramount desperatley need to do some resoration on this ageing print

T800

The sound was poor, the dialogiue was quite harsh and the music was flat.

mmace

recorded it for the wife (it's her favourite film), was going to be the 1st time she watched something in HD, don't think I'll let her now, don't want to put her off, she notices every little detail in Grease!

P

platinum1

Dissapointed too, still took the opportunity to watch the film. On the PJ it was very watchable, but lacked clarity in many scenes.

Sound certainly suffered too.

Shame as I may have kept this on the planner for a while, but instead I hit the yellow button after the credits came up.

T800

mmace said:
recorded it for the wife (it's her favourite film), was going to be the 1st time she watched something in HD, don't think I'll let her now, don't want to put her off, she notices every little detail in Grease!

Have a look first, the picture wasn't BBC HD quality but it was the best I've seen Grease.

xxalxx

Standard Member
i was just dissapointed it was on in the first place :D

Al

Kevo

For me the 'standout HD moments' were 'Thunder Road', 'Danny doing Track & field' and 'We Go Together'

Nick_UK

Banned
T800 said:
Have a look first, the picture wasn't BBC HD quality but it was the best I've seen Grease.

Grease was never that good - I saw it on the big screen in 1978 and wasn't stunned then. It's nearly 30 years old, for god's sake.

mmace

Nick_UK said:
Grease was never that good - I saw it on the big screen in 1978 and wasn't stunned then. It's nearly 30 years old, for god's sake.
and yet in the US they had the 1933 version of King Kong on TV in HD the other day and everyone's saying how good it looked

xxalxx

Standard Member
mmace said:
because you'd prefer less HD content on the screens

there is always one who just takes everything too seriously, lighten up. :rolleyes:

Al

xxalxx

Standard Member
mmace said:
and yet in the US they had the 1933 version of King Kong on TV in HD the other day and everyone's saying how good it looked

They can do wonders with digital restoration these days, there is a good thing about the new james bond discs in HCC, saying that in a presentation people where shocked at how a 40 year old film looked so good.

Al

Kevo

xxalxx said:
They can do wonders with digital restoration these days, there is a good thing about the new james bond discs in HCC, saying that in a presentation people where shocked at how a 40 year old film looked so good.

Al

They certainly can. Ben Hur ,Lawrence of Arabia and Singing In The Rain restored versions on DVD look like they were made yesterday. I'm sure they could do the same with such a worldwide popular film like Grease

xxalxx

Standard Member
yeah i did notice the smilies :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom