1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grayhawk too Bright!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    My Grayhawk is up, very nice it is too. The only problem is its too bright! Time to experiment with some CC filters I think. I have ordered one called a Redhancer, it is supposed to have a dramatic effect on reds without having much effect on other colours (not sure how). Also unlike most other filters brightness is only dropped by 25% (most are 50% or more) which I recon is going to be just about perfect. I have also done some experiments with screen back lighting and the effect is very nice indeed. I did a before and after test with my wife and she recons it gives the picture a much more 3D look to it. My room is almost starting to look like a home cinema now. I'll take some snaps tomorrow and post them.

Jeff

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I thought the idea was that because lamp driven projectors tend to be low in overall red response they have to effectively max the red output and then hanging back on the green and blue to reach a desired balance ( ie 6500K). So the limiting factor in the output of the projector is the lack of red?

By adding a filter that allows most of the red through and limits green and blue ( ie a red coloured filter) you can up the blue and green more than standard to up the theoretical whitepoint of the projector and hopefully increase the dynamic range without skewing the colour balance beyond hardware correctability.

So the filter is supposed to effect blue and green and leave red alone as much as possible rather than effect red itself.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Red apears to be the most difficult colour for LCD and DLP projectors to get right. they tend to have more of an orangey huge to them. Add a large infra red type lamp and you you have added problems at that end of the spectrum.

As MR D says turning up the power only make this seperation worse but if you put a red filter inplace it effectivly boosts the Red light an holds the colours they can do better.

4. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Jeff - may I ask what size your Grayhawk is & how much approximately it cost?

Thanks - Paul

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    My GrayHawk is 1600x900mm + the size of the border, I bought it from Gordon (excellent service by the way), please email him if you need a price. Gordon doesn't discuss prices on the forum so I'm going to respect that.

Jeff