GRAW Online

I read once that the UK is behind alot of the EU nations in terms of Broadband, and America. We've got dial-up compared to the South Koreans with their "average speed of 100Meg" :rotfl:

just got my line regraded to dsl max 8mbit for free with ZEN so hopfeully 1/2meg up will sort this game out, will be on 31st march when max dsl launches, been thinking about it for a few weeks, but didnt like the caps, but bit the bullet now

Starfleets said:
I read once that the UK is behind alot of the EU nations in terms of Broadband, and America. We've got dial-up compared to the South Koreans with their "average speed of 100Meg" :rotfl:

Yes but the Koreans had their country rebuilt after the war and decided to install stuff for the future. Fibre optics has meant that they have a quicker infrastructure.

Had my copy of GRAW since last Friday and up until last night no problems at all with disconnections etc. Last night was unbelieveable though, I played one full game of Last Man Standing and every other game either disconnected in the lobby or just as the game started.

Really doesn't help that it takes about 3-4 mins to get back to the same stage everytime. Annoying.

I've 2mb tiscali - which has been fine on all 360 games so far.

yeah am the same i have 2MB Ntl and now n again i get the dreaded red doors for other users in my lobby lol

Hey all,

So Im about to head to the airport and fly back to Cambridge - should be in around 11pm or so. I'm planning on hosting a bit of GRAW and already have AloysianFire and Fishy Monkey confirmed.

Send me a PM with your GT if you fancy getting some ... (start around 11:30pm)

cheers,

Nige

Gonna have to double post here.

I will be hosting at around 6pm to 7pm for AV forum member's and friends. Then another at 8.30pm to 10pm.

Add me as a friend and I will invite you to the 16 player lobby. Yes, i said 16;)

Starfleets said:
Im on an ADLS2 line, 24MB/1.3MB and sorry to break your heart but 90% of people wont get more than 18MB because of several reasons. I'm, 1.4km away from my exchange and I can get only 13MB tops.

I'm a customer to BeThere and i can tell you until our lines get upgraded (e.g. the copper) and BT move their lazy ar$es, you probably wont get more than your 8MB now.

P.S Are you connected at 8Mb right now or can you get up to 8Mb?

No heart breaking going on here. I'm perfectly aware of the vagaries of ADSL tech. Distance from the exchange isn't the only issue, indeed, you can be relatively close to the building but the actual line length will be much more. Line quality as you've hinted at is extremely important as well and of course, lots of people may have underlying issues with their domestic wiring set ups as well.

As it happens, I'm ~400m from my exchange and my line length is ~1km. Based on my line quality with my current sync stats I expect to see 15+mb downstream and a full upstream speed.

If anyone wants to know more about what they can expect as a guesstimate then they could do worse than check out HERE. Note that this is the same technology that BT will be using to provide their new MaxDSL products to the majority of UK ISPs.

stewartpaterson said:
Just to add this on....

A calculator for what you might expect when MaxDSL does get rolled out.

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Just in case people don't read the page and just thump in their figures:

It will only estimate up to speeds of 8192kbps. Once the performance of ADSL2+ becomes clearer, I will endeavour to incorporate those speeds also

:)

BT have said they will start to offer speeds from 4MB this year. Does that mean they'll start to improve line quality?

SaltireOne said:
No heart breaking going on here. I'm perfectly aware of the vagaries of ADSL tech. Distance from the exchange isn't the only issue, indeed, you can be relatively close to the building but the actual line length will be much more. Line quality as you've hinted at is extremely important as well and of course, lots of people may have underlying issues with their domestic wiring set ups as well.

As it happens, I'm ~400m from my exchange and my line length is ~1km. Based on my line quality with my current sync stats I expect to see 15+mb downstream and a full upstream speed.

If anyone wants to know more about what they can expect as a guesstimate then they could do worse than check out HERE. Note that this is the same technology that BT will be using to provide their new MaxDSL products to the majority of UK ISPs.

How did you check your line quality? SNR margin?

But since Maxdsl isn't ADSL2+ which is strictly LLU at the moment. ;)

I just like the calculator because it tells me what i like to hear :smashin:

And yes SNR margin is the main factor now, before it used to be line attenuation although to a extent it still has a effect.

------

Oh and MaxDSL is being rolled out from end of this month. Subject to BT actually doing it.

Im really peed off not being able to run Campaign mode for more than 6 people :mad:

I dont understand how my connection cant handle it. And an odd thing is that the same people always get disconnected for some reason. So can it be my connection or there connection

ah, no worries monkeyleader...you can't beat the airlines...:rolleyes:

i spent an hour being kicked out of Solo elimination lobbies before becoming dispirited and throwin in the towel for the night...gutted..:mad:

honestly though, it's so frustrating...you get plonked repeatedly into lobbies where the game has just started, and i wouldn't mind that but on several occasions last night i waited for ten minutes to join a game only to find that when they were finished they came to the lobby and i was booted, finding myself looking at the bloody start screen again :suicide:

here's a tip for these folk, if you want a private game, host a private game...

and if you're gonna boot some poor bugger that's tryin to join and least have the good grace to say why :lesson:

all in all, the rule is don't be a C:censored: t

sorry about the rant i just had to get that off my chest...:oops:

DamianL said:
ah, no worries monkeyleader...you can't beat the airlines...:rolleyes:

i spent an hour being kicked out of Solo elimination lobbies before becoming dispirited and throwin in the towel for the night...gutted..:mad:

honestly though, it's so frustrating...you get plonked repeatedly into lobbies where the game has just started, and i wouldn't mind that but on several occasions last night i waited for ten minutes to join a game only to find that when they were finished they came to the lobby and i was booted, finding myself looking at the bloody start screen again :suicide:

here's a tip for these folk, if you want a private game, host a private game...

and if you're gonna boot some poor bugger that's tryin to join and least have the good grace to say why :lesson:

all in all, the rule is don't be a C:censored: t

sorry about the rant i just had to get that off my chest...:oops:

Maybe the reason they booted you was because you would unbalance the game. ie it works fine in campain mode with 4 players but drops everyone when there is 5 in a room. I have had to ask people to leave and it isnt a nice thing to do, but if it isnt done then no one gets a game. I now limit the room to x amount of people depending on what game type I am playing.

I agree that when you join a random game it always puts you in a game that has already started. Absolutely crazy :suicide:

I think you would be better off hosting your own games with a few mates and limiting the room.

Good luck out there I hope you manage to have a few games with no hassel. Roll on the patch to fix the many bugs on this good game. :)

Starfleets said:
Im really peed off not being able to run Campaign mode for more than 6 people :mad:

I dont understand how my connection cant handle it. And an odd thing is that the same people always get disconnected for some reason. So can it be my connection or there connection

I can only host it for 4 people mate, 10 meg NTL line. I would love to be able to host 6 people in camapin mode. :(

Maybe the Campaign mode wasn't really tested for more then 4 people playing it at once?

When i host a Co-Op game against the Rebels, i have to host the A.I. and the people at once, so it makes it more likely those who e.g. less than 2MB connections getting disconnected automatically to protect them from uncontrollable lag.

Team Based games are simple to host because you wont carry more thn 16 people...but with Co-Op games...i carry atleast 40 so maybe the game disconnects those with lesser connections. That is why the same people often get disconnected from my lobby - they're speeds are too slow.

And when some people experience lag even on a Team Based game, i know for a fact it isn't my connection but some of the people who are in the lobby.

So IMO, Ubisoft need to release something that the host can judge people's connections by to make sure there is no lag in the game..like in PGR3 with the colour coding.

aaaaah, I am just having a moan for the sake of it, i have had some good games too...

"I think you would be better off hosting your own games with a few mates and limiting the room."

funnily enough, that's exactly what i did after a while....:smashin:

only to sit staring at the screen for ten minutes as NOONE entered my lobby :blush:

ha ha, "billy-no-mates" indeed...i am starting to think it's a conspiracy...

D

had my first go on live todayand think its very good
just looking for cheep 12 month subs now i dont wanna waste 40 pound when i can get it for 20 or 30 pound:thumbsup:

daveblade said:
had my first go on live todayand think its very good
just looking for cheep 12 month subs now i dont wanna waste 40 pound when i can get it for 20 or 30 pound:thumbsup:
best bet is to look out for the 12 months packs with pgr2 or another xbox game.
you can usually get these for about 25-30 quid and can always sell the game on or just trade it in at game or the like.
got this at play: http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=XBOX&title=169478

other option is ebay.

I will host from 7pm onwards. Looking forward to see y'all :thumbsup:

Starfleets - does your sig suppose to say "Gold Dush" - it just the h and T are close together and I'm not sure! :)

Jordans Norks said:
Starfleets - does your sig suppose to say "Gold Dush" - it just the h and T are close together and I'm not sure! :)

Dunno what your talking about me ;)

Today's online session was very wierd. I was uploading an average of 5MB per minute and one point i uploaded 1MB in under 10 seconds!

All in all, tonights session (2nd time round), i uploaded an amazing 180MB lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom