GRAW hints and tips

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by akane_1984, Mar 10, 2006.

1. akane_1984

akane_1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I thought id start a thread as I am new to GR franchise I am finding the action bit over my head. i try to order teamates about while covering myself and shooting but all becomes too much sometimes.

can anyone post some tips for me on how to make most of my teammates and how to best move and attack enemy myself.

2. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Well I'm certainly no expert, but I did find the first level pretty easy, even on hard. You need to make as much use of cover as possible, pop up to shoot, or lean around corners to shoot as much as possible. Use the 'scope to take out enemies from afar. Make sure you send your team mates to areas of cover (they're not too bright). Make full use of the UAV - this will pinpoint enemies on your tactical map so you can plan your attacks. Also if you lie down you present a smaller target to the enemy than if you are standing. Also use the terrain/buildings around you for an advantage - it's easier to take out a group of soldiers from the top of a building or flyover than it is to approach them head-on - gives them less places to hide. Hope some of this helps :)

3. joe chin

joe chin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mate... wasn't too sure what the point of the flying recon thing was, didn't know it put the stuff it had seen on the map... thought you had to spot them on the tiny screen in the top left.

not really feeling the point of team mates much either, seems they just do what they want most of the time... prefer to leave them be and stealth it up on my own!

4. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    If you tap the left should button while the UAV is selected it drops down and will detect enemies - don't have it get too close though or it'll get shot down. Use the "Back" button to pull up your tactical map and you should be able to pinpoint where they are. The team mates can be useful but you have to be careful with them, 'cos they will just run into a firefight and get killed - try to use them to flank the enemy, or at least stick them behind a low wall, or something similar where they will have line of sight to an enemy - that way they will shoot from cover and survive :)

Once you get the blackhawk (with mini-gun) under your command, there is only one guy you actually have to shoot yourself - the rest you can have brutally mown down. :devil:

You should be able to complete the first level without being shot once ;)

5. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The way i've been using them is too always send them ahead each time too cover then you move to a more forward and opposite position then move them forward again etc etc. Only trouble as you say is they can be a bit kamikazee:rolleyes:

Matt

6. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I'm sure it will come naturally after a few hours play. I completed the first mission on normal and also found it difficult to command my team. But I'll get there with a few more hours playtime under my belt. I think the last game I played where i commanded my team was brothers in arms on the original xbox which was probably about 12 months ago now so its hardly surprising it doesn't come naturally atm.

7. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Best tips for me really are...

With the UAV get it to fly quite far across from your direction and keep hitting the left bumper to get it to fly low and high as it will detect quite a lot as it raises altitude to avoid the bullets (same with using helis).

Hug areas of walls and use diagonals in streets to cross to each one so your covering yourself as much as possible and then peak out at the end and scan the area with the right stick whilst peeking (always make sure your squad is set to assualt though as on reacon they wont fire at the enemy until you tell them to). If it looks clear move away from that wall and then get your squad to hug that corner and you then run across to the oposite wall/sandbank etc.. so if the enemy comes you have cover. I mainly use the squad as a flank help and for suppression so I can sit there and hit the enemy from the oposite area. If I get into trouble with a tank I just tell the squad to aim at it and fire (say if I dont have any descent armour weapons) and I pop a smoke down in front of the tank and just make sure any friendly incapacitated gets healed quickly. There very dumb though are your squad so its best to give em areas to cover what you have already been to and just let them shoot from there.

Its all about being out in the open as little as possible with cover and making sure your flanks are secure (I cant say Ive been properly outflanked yet though). If your pinned down shove a smoke grenade in front of you and put your night light on as you can see thru smoke and the enemys body shows up as a nice heat signature and just zoom in with the right stick button (push the right stick in) and then hold the left trigger to hold your breathe and fire (you can use the same technique for enemy tanks). You can shoot thru walls and bags with a lot of the weapons so try it. Id also recommend crouching by default everywhere as your a smaller target and you can still hug walls and get great aim (if you lie down you cant hug a wall and peak).

8. michaelT1888

michaelT1888
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    why do the soldiers that are with you not shoot at enemies and die all the time? is there a way of making them fight with you? they act like complete retards

9. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    You can issue them a follow command, but then you run the risk of friendly fire :suicide: :D

10. michaelT1888

michaelT1888
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ye they follow me, but all they do is die, its me against everyone. I also did the first mission without getting the helicopter to kill the enemies, i just found out from a guy on live that the helicopter killed them all for you b4 you got to the top of the building. lol would have been so much easier.

11. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Yes, they are dim-witted - you need to be careful how you use them or they are just a liability... Wonder if their "intelligence/stats" improve during play - if they don't then there isn't much point in trying to keep them alive, just get some fresh recruits each time :rolleyes:

Helicopter is great - you can just stand outside the complex issuing orders for it to kill everyone - it just leaves that one guy inside up the stairs to bump off. Great stuff :D

12. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    i got annoyed on the second mission after you get to the burnt out limo and that truck comes. i only have 2 men with me(1 stood there and died in the last mission) i died twice then tried some split screen.:)

13. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    i found the best way to use them was in recon mode and send them to the corners of buildings they then spot enemies for you:thumbsup:

if you place them behind cover, for example a low wall they are actually very effective just not in the open

14. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    That's the exact bit I reached last night, but I turned it off after it saved 'cos it was getting late.:)

What's the split screen? Co-op?

15. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    ill think you mean you kept dying;)

2 players on 1 screen(1st person view only) it was just playing a deathmatch.

i did try the multiplayer campaign thing but i didnt know i was and it took me by surprise when i was getting shot:D i thought i was running around an empty map(to get used to controls):)

16. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    No, it really was late - I made the mistake of playing the first mission a second time from the "single missions" menu as I wanted to get the hard achievement... But when I finished it I never got it... :( Sooo I had to do it on hard a second time, starting a new campaign... so by the time I reached that part in the 2nd level it really was late... :lesson: :)

:rotfl:

17. GaryMo

GaryMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I feel stupid, Im really struggling shooting from the helicoptor near the beginning.
    I've tried it many times and always end up dying.

Any tips for what is probably a piece of cake to most?

18. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Try pressing the left trigger in to go to first person view. Keep switching views when you change targets. First person when your on target, third person to switch targets.

Try that, makes it much easier.:smashin:

19. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah having the same problem here :confused:

Think I must be dying from the burns of the over heating mini gun ;)

Well that's my excuse.

Seriously though, each time I play the level th flight path of the heli is different, does aiming or moving the gun around change the direction of the heli in anyway. Am I missing more control than I think I have??:suicide:

20. GaryMo

GaryMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Glad Im not the only one then ;)

Daerve, thanks for the advance. I'll have another go tonight.

21. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I found it wasn't aiming at the targets that was the problem, but the minigun overheating which caused it to cut out at a crucial moment. Since then I have discovered that if you "pulse" the trigger it doesn't overheat - this is even more important on the "hard" level as if you don't take out the bad guys quick enough - you're dead :suicide:

22. akane_1984

akane_1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    can anyone provide tips on best way to complete mission two on co-op.."wharf"

23. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
  24. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I made it to the second mission where you get dropped off by the Blackhawk in the city square.
    But I have no team as they all got killed in the first mission and my version of the rifle is the one with no scope (but a grenade-launcher) which is no help against the snipers.

So, do I have to replay the first mission in order to get my team back and be able to change weapons?:confused:

25. ovany1

ovany1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That Sux big time :(, i thought you got a resupply of troops and a weapon change pretty near the start of the second mission?

26. MANGABOY

MANGABOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    When you guys select your team mates what combinations do you normally go for? i.e rifleman, grenadier and gunner. Do you go for one of each or two of one and one of the others?

At the moment I'm selecting one of each, have done the first two missions but in both I've lost one man and its always been the grenadier. Is that just a coincidence or are grenadiers generally crap at defending themselves. Obviously they are invaluable to have to take out ground vehicle targets, just be nice to have one of them survive a whole mission for me for a change :)

Also on the achievement list four co-op missions are listed as 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4. What do the different numbers represent? Im thinking theres only four co-op missions available and thats what they mean, is that right?

27. MANGABOY

MANGABOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    You get a full resupply of team a quarter of way through mission

28. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks, as others have said, they have not been that helpful thus far!

What about being able to change my rifle?

Am I actually in the second mission or am I reloading from a checkpoint in the 1st mission?

29. MANGABOY

MANGABOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Yep you can change your weapons at the supply point as well :)

And yep you are at the start of the 2nd mission, Im just off now to start the 3rd, got 2 team members left, hope dats enuf ;)

30. a_friend

a_friend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Smoke Granades, Smoke Granades use these often they will stop enemy fire very quickly, enough time to flank them. Pretty much works at any junction.

You can also use Frag Granades but make sure you have covering fire before doing so.

If you command your squad make sure you move them to cover also dont be afraid of using the recon mode they will always find cover that way.

UAV's if they are being shot at move them up away from detection mode and if you scan an area make sure the are you scan has a long path to follow. You can also tell the UAV to regroup with out needing to go into map mode.

Be Brave, Command well and i'll frag you later if i don't get kicked off the server's :D

Spent most of the weekend getting the 1st achevement in FN3