Gravity Crash

SIK

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally one of the games I'm looking most forward to from E3 is Gravity Crash (coming to PSN later in the year).

News: E3: PSN gets Gravity Crash - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Those of you with a few years on the clock (like me :D) who've been gaming for a few decades will probably remember a great little game called 'Thrust' (used to play it on the BBC model B, but was also released for C64, Speccy etc.)

Can't wait for this one!! :thumbsup:

Does anyone know the release date for this yet? The visuals look pretty!

:thumbsup: thrust was awesome

there are a few flash versions floating round online but the original was the best

Thrust on the 64 was amazing loved the theme tune, Rob Hubbard rocks :thumbsup:

Dave.

Can't say I ever played 'grav' but there have been numerous similar games over the years. The arcade game 'Gravitar' was a great version, I also remember a game for the ST called 'Oids' which had the same basic mechanics.

Out now! Will be downloading the trial version as soon as I get home!

Gravity Power and Gravity Force 2 both PD games on the Amiga were both amazing, if its even close to them its a must for me.

I didn't bother with the demo.. I just bought it outright.. Its good, but for me its not great.

It doesn't have the immediate appeal of Super Stardust or Geometry Wars.. I found it a bit slow and tedious.

I am sure it will get better, but I have to admit that I am not blown away by it.. Which is a shame as I was expecting big things!

And.. It doesn't have a Dolby Digital sound track which is slightly surprising!

Jon

It doesn't have the immediate appeal of Super Stardust or Geometry Wars.. I found it a bit slow and tedious.

Not supposed to, they are fast paced shooters wheras this is a different type of game. Reminds me of the Megadrive game Sub-Terrania, loved that:smashin:

WHAT A FANTASTIC GAME :D:thumbsup:.

I have to "correct" a minor something though - this is more like Gravitar and less like Thrust.

Thrust used to be one of my fave games on the C64 (I even have the .sid music by Rob Hubbard - sad, I know ;)).
Now the USP/hook for Thrust was that you had to "collect" the pod and then destabilise the factory before escaping, neither of which you have to do here.
The physics altered when you had the pod as it acted like a pendulum and made control even more challenging (and fun :)).

All of this is missing in Gravity Crash....

.....but that's OK, it's still a great game that deserves 8-9/10 (drops a point or two precisely because it isn't a true clone of Thrust though).

Well worth the £6 asking price :smashin:.

Last edited:
Got around to trying the demo of this the other day, its good but for me one major negative is that weapons are not affected by gravity. Cant really explain why this is important to me.

Got around to trying the demo of this the other day, its good but for me one major negative is that weapons are not affected by gravity. Cant really explain why this is important to me.

There are 3 things that can/can't effect weapons: Space itself, Gravity Devices (that's what I'll call them) and Water.

Space
I don't seem to recall either Thrust or Gravitar having bullets/lasers affected in any way so, for me, Gravity Crash is spot on :thumbsup:.

Gravity Devices
There are gravity effecting devices in later levels btw. Sometimes the only way to avoid all the missiles/bullets aimed at you is to destroy them first so enabling you to control your ship properly. Of course, this is confined to within the "reaches" of those devices and not space in general so it's done quite well.

Water
I do think that the water effect (in slowing down the "bullets") is in keeping with being submerged, and so this does kinda fit. Maybe because water wasn't in the original (it's an addition in this game) and they've left the original "in-space" bits well alone :), but I think the altered mechanics underwater are quite cool.

Last edited:
Slight tangent - but - how to do you try the demos of these games? I can never see the option to try a demo before I buy and this has put me off buying much from the PSN.

Slight tangent - but - how to do you try the demos of these games? I can never see the option to try a demo before I buy and this has put me off buying much from the PSN.
it should be in the "Latest" section or try the "Demo's / PS3 section".

Dave.

Can anyone help with this., my save for this game keeps going wrong! I have had to restart this 3 times now:mad:

Went to play it tonight and selected campaign mode, only to see the continue game icon blanked out. I cant see why this always happens, never had it with any other games.

Its a real shame as I am really enjoying this but its hard to have the heart to keep starting again!!

Space
I don't seem to recall either Thrust or Gravitar having bullets/lasers affected in any way so, for me, Gravity Crash is spot on :thumbsup:.

For me and many others the definative game in this genre is Gravity Force 2 on the Amiga (or the special edition created for Amiga Power magazine called Gravity Power). Both these had bullets affected by gravity which you could vary in the options.

Can anyone help with this., my save for this game keeps going wrong! I have had to restart this 3 times now:mad:

Went to play it tonight and selected campaign mode, only to see the continue game icon blanked out. I cant see why this always happens, never had it with any other games.

Its a real shame as I am really enjoying this but its hard to have the heart to keep starting again!!

Are you sure you selected 'continue' when you lost all your lives? I got caught out by this the first time I was playing through it. You can stop and save your progress during a game at any time, but if you lose your last life it asks you if you want to continue or not (and warns your score will be reset to 0 if you choose to contine). If you then select 'no' (like I did!) it starts a new game right from the beginning. :(

Are you sure you selected 'continue' when you lost all your lives? I got caught out by this the first time I was playing through it. You can stop and save your progress during a game at any time, but if you lose your last life it asks you if you want to continue or not (and warns your score will be reset to 0 if you choose to contine). If you then select 'no' (like I did!) it starts a new game right from the beginning. :(

I think that could be it, thanks! I didn't think you had to start all over again if you didn't continue. I know it's a retro style game but there's no need for a retro save system as well! Anyway, cheers for your reply :thumbsup:

For me and many others the definative game in this genre is Gravity Force 2 on the Amiga (or the special edition created for Amiga Power magazine called Gravity Power). Both these had bullets affected by gravity which you could vary in the options.

Unfortunately, I went from c64 to PC (bypassing the Amiga completely :(), but I recall an interview with the devs who used to love playing Gravitar from the early 80's. I guess they wanted to remain true to the original games they loved that most people remember? (just a guess though - gravity affecting bullets could be an interesting twist ;)).

I'm not sure if they could implement "upgrades" into the games via DLC but I guess not as that would involve a re-write of the physics of the game engine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom