Gravity (2013)

How did you rate this film out of 10?

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Directed by Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men). Robert Downey Jr. is confirmed to star.

Downey will play the leader of a team posted at a remote space station. “While he and a female colleague are traveling outside the space station, the other team members are decimated by debris from an exploded satellite.” The female lead has yet to be cast.

Oscar winning special effects company Framestore have revealed new details on 'Gravity.' The opening shot will last at least 20 minutes in one long continuous take.

Framestore is about to embark on one of its greatest challenges yet, Gravity is the next Avatar in terms of ambition. There are many innovative and visually stunning aims for this project.

- The entire film weill be made here at Framestore. In effect the film, as Avatar was, is 60% CG feature animation with the balance being hybrid CG and live action elements.

- Starring Robert Downey Junior, the film is a contemporary survival thriller that follows a woman as she attempts to make her way back to earth after a satellite crash sets off a chain reaction of further crashes. Because it's set in space, most shots require every element to float in zero-gravity.

- But then factor in that this a stylish Cuarón flick, directed with his trademark languid feel, and you begin to realise the full scale of our challenge. Cuarón's long and fluid style (the opening shot alone is slated to last at least 20 minutes) leaves no cut points to hide behind. In short, this is a hybrid of a fully animated, photo-real feature film with a blockbusting visual effects movie.

- This is CG feature animation meets real world on a large and beautiful scale.

Ooh I say :blush:

I do like a nice tracking shot.

Yep me too. De Palma loves them too and Martin Scorsese.

It will be interesting to see a 20 minute single shot although I don't believe for a minute that there won't be some tweaking and fakery in there somehow.

Hitchcock did a similar thing in 'Rope'

I don't believe for a minute that there won't be some tweaking and fakery in there somehow.

Especially seeing as its a 'hybrid of a fully animated, photo-real feature film with a blockbusting visual effects movie'. There'll be alot of cheating I suspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some news here regarding who be the female lead opposite RDJ. Scarlett Johansson has apparently verbally agreed to it.

Casting update - they're still looking for the female lead. Angelina Jolie was previously involved but has pulled out, the latest is that Natalie Portman has been offered it following her performance in Black Swan. According to the article she hasn't even got to test for it, basically it's hers if she wants it.

Natalie Portman has officially turned it down.

Sandra Bullock is reportedly in talks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damnit. Got all excited when Scarlett was mentioned then more when Natalie got mentioned. I wonder why they kept turning it down Robert Downey is bound to pull in the crowds and the budget. I wonder if it contains nudity that the other ladies didn't want to do.

I wonder if it contains nudity that the other ladies didn't want to do.

:laugh:

any excuse to picture a naked Scarlett floating around in zero G...

They should just get some unknown actors, and make the film. We don't need Sandra Bullock, or Robert Downey, just somebody who can play the part of Robinson Crusoe. Shouldn't be hard. A few fresh ideas, and the film will work.

Robert Downey Jr. no longer attached, but Bullock is still in contention for female lead.

Gravity gets a leading man, George Clooney will replace RDJ, now star opposite Sandra Bullock

George Clooney will star opposite Sandra Bullock in Gravity, Warner Bros.' and Legendary Pictures' 3D outer space thriller that has become a game of musical chairs for actors.

The initial pairing for the Alfonso Cuaron-directed project -- about a female astronaut struggling to survive and trying to make it to Earth after a disaster in space -- was to have been Angelina Jolie and Robert Downey Jr. Then came a protracted series of reversals that saw Jolie leave and come back, and actresses Marion Cotillard, Scarlett Johansson, Blake Lively and Natalie Portman involved with the movie to varying degrees, all within the last eight months.

Downey stuck with the project throughout the various casting changes but in mid-November, just as things looked set with Bullock, he bailed. Warner considered scrapping the project but conducted a Hail Mary search for the male lead who, while doesn't carry the movie, is still pivotal in the first act.

Clooney will play an astronaut who survives the space disaster alongside Bullock. The studio is eyeing a spring start of production after CAA-repped Clooney directs Ides of March, the adaptation of the political drama that has Ryan Gosling and Paul Giamatti attached to star. David Heyman (Harry Potter) is producing. Lynn Harris is overseeing for the studio.

Last edited:
Bound to be a great film but can't stand that clooney fella, Will probably play himself again......

Bound to be a great film but can't stand that clooney fella, Will probably play himself again......

Maybe himself is the right role for the movie anyway? It seems fine in my head.

Hopefully now they'll start making this soon. Not sure about Bullock though, I don't much like any of her films except Speed and maybe While You Were Sleeping. She was good in Blind Side as well but that film was a bit rubbish I thought.

Sandra ******** is one of the worst actors going spec the dumb comedy roles she does !!

hopefully she gets killed off early when the sattelite collides/ clooney runs her over with moon buggy :smashin:

Sandra ******** is one of the worst actors going spec the dumb comedy roles she does !!

hopefully she gets killed off early when the sattelite collides/ clooney runs her over with moon buggy :smashin:

Why can't people distiguish between the material and the actual qualities of a performer ? Bullock is a pretty good actress in serious roles (Crash, she just got the Oscar for The Blind Side) and a genuinely talented comedienne, even if most of the films she appears in are not my cup of tea.

Looks like she's branching out into more unusual roles and if Cuaron thinks she's right for the part then I'll trust him on it. I think he is one of the few genuinely talented directors currently working in mainstream film.

Cuaron needs stars because his films are a bit more offbeat than your usual blockbuster dross and big stars enable him to get the budget for what will be an expensive movie.

Last edited:
The trouble is she was type cast to play the dump type roles in a lot of her films !! and it stuck .

and it is only recently the last two films you mention are more serious roles !!

its just when i see her in the comedy type roles it just wants me to turn of the tv etc .

lets hope this film points her in the right direction and not backwards ;)

I'd watch her in almost anything, she's so damned attractive and generally lovely in every way!

The trouble is she was type cast to play the dump type roles in a lot of her films !! and it stuck .

and it is only recently the last two films you mention are more serious roles !!
lets hope this film points her in the right direction and not backwards ;)

Not sure what a "dump type role" is. She's good at comedy, so rom-coms is what's offered to female films stars and these films are as polpular to female audiences as action films are to men (and generally action films are just as dumb)
She's done quite a few more serious roles, I just couldn't be bothered to list them all. Two more she was excellent in was as the writer Harper Lee in Infamous and as a recovering alcoholic in 28 Days (and no, she didn't play a zombie) ;)

I have always said that Sandra Bullock was miscast after Speed. Blind Side seems to confirm that. She's made a mark in movies, but Angelina Jolie has made an even bigger mark.

I've always found Sandra Bullock likable she was the best thing about Demolition Man and I also liked her in Miss Congeniality(sp). She has been very good in recent films as mentioned and has also indicated she doesn't take herself too seriously as she collected a razzie for her acting in the same week she collected an oscar.

I have always said that Sandra Bullock was miscast after Speed. Blind Side seems to confirm that. She's made a mark in movies, but Angelina Jolie has made an even bigger mark.

Yeah, right. She won the Oscar and much acclaim for her performance in The Blind Side, that's why it's confimed that she was miscast in the film. I see where you are coming from.

Funny you accuse Bullock of being miscast for her entire career and then mention Jolie, who looks so much like a high maintenance movie star in everything she appears in, that she looks miscast whenever she's supposed to play a regular person.

Yeah, right. She won the Oscar and much acclaim for her performance in The Blind Side, that's why it's confimed that she was miscast in the film. I see where you are coming from.

Funny you accuse Bullock of being miscast for her entire career and then mention Jolie, who looks so much like a high maintenance movie star in everything she appears in, that she looks miscast whenever she's supposed to play a regular person.

I meant she was miscast until Blind Side came out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom