1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by backtothefuture, Oct 26, 2003.

1. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the current state of PC Graphics cards, which are getting more powerful all the time .. and that my PS2 will remain with its existing graphics chip till I ..er.. get a PS3 ... I suppose PC Games have the graphics edge over our console counterparts?

though I suppose everytime you buy a new graphics card, you could have bought a new console :D

but generally... do PC games nowadays have better graphics or PS2 ?

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Pc games tend to have better graphics with state of the art gcards, you pay £100's for the privilage though. You can run games at higher resolutions and we tend to get a lot more graphical eye candy and better frame rates. Consoles howerever benefit from streamlined code since developers are always writing for the same hardware. Since pc's can have many iterations of gcards more time is needed for pc games development and when they do get released they can sometimes have bugs with certain cards. I haven't owned any next gen consoles, but, prefer to stick with my pc uprading as I go to keep up with the best possible gameplay new technology allows. I prefer to be able to play games with everything turned on and experience the game to the best of it's ability and as the developer intended. As long as the gameplay is there to back up the eye candy then PC gaming can offer the edge over consloes as the environments can be awesome leading to a more imersive experience.:D
    I'm not knocking consoles atall but for cutting edge graphics the pc is the way to go.:smashin:

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    just my opinion, but...

I find that most PC games use the technology to deliver higher resolutions, but not more detail. The developers still have to support people without super duper cards, so the features on the high end cards don't get fully supported.

Half life 2 and Doom 3 are exceptions.

I think console games generally look better than PC games. Doesn't mean higher res - just look better.

summary? Size isn't important, its what you do with it that counts.

4. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know what you mean about PC games having the edge but its the constant tweaking needed necessary to get there that gives consoles (and hence their simplicity) the appeal they have I guess... ultimately its a hobby thing... ie if you like tinkering about with your PC then I guess you'll prefer PC games ... but if at the end of the day, you just want to chill out with a game the way its meant to be played, no hassle then it's consoles I guess...

I got both , depending on the mood I'm in :cool:

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,348
    Ever since I had my last console which was the lousy Sega Saturn I have been a PC person. If you have the money (which I don't) and can keep up with the latest technology then PCs will always beat the latest console on graphics.

But after going round a mates and playing on his PS2 I quite fancy a console. It is the sheer simplicity, ease of use and quickness that has appealed to me and put a console on my list of near future purchases.

Just being able to turn it on and start the game straight away appeals to me. When the PC is playing up and you are getting annoyed with loading times and crashes etc a console can look a very good option to have.

Greg

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Just some thoughts on this:

PC's will always have the graphical edge over consoles. Every six months or so a new range of cards are released furthering the performance PC's are capable of. Additionally these cards, every 12 months at least, gain new functionality. Whether that be a better implementation of an existing format (like Direct X) or a technical benefit (256bit memory addressing). And let's not dismiss higher resolution as something unimportant. After playing Halo on my old Xbox, and comparing the graphics to the PC version, the PC version is quite a bit better; more crisp and detailed (which considering the textures haven't changed means the PC must be doing something right!). Ditto Splinter Cell. Indeed the quality of graphics is one of the reasons that I tend to drift away from consoles. Why buy XIII on Gamecube when I know full well that it will be better, graphically, on PC?
    Of course, these high-end graphic cards aren't worth it. Not by a long chalk. They are the Ferrari's of the gaming graphics world: Not especially reliable and awkward to control, but you'd still have one over just about anything else.

Russell

7. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`ve got this months xbm mag and there is a small article on ATI and XBOX..they say that the next xbox will be running a version of the r500 ..which is not even in production yet..this will run on a version of direct 10..with memory of 1600mhz also running pixel shader3.0..meaning graphically the xbox i`m sure will keep the edge on the other consoles..

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    What i tend to find is that consoles always hold the "wow" factor when it comes to certain games. I have yet to really experience my jaw drop during playing a pc game (and i have a radeon 9700).

Generally when a console has just been released the graphics on the console seem to be a lot better, )this is where i usually get most of my wows :D ). For instance when the dreamcast was first released it was quite a way in front of anything on the PC. Especially with games such as DOA2 and Soul Calibur which only required 2 characters to be processed, hence such attention to detail and amazing graphics.

PC's of course catch up and quite soon most games on PC look better than console games.

Generally speaking then, during the life of say a 4 year console cycle for the first year or so consoles are way ahead then pcs catch up and are on a par and then PC's pull ahead for about 2 years and then cycle starts again.

This is of course relative to which console or pc you have. Obviously the PS2 is yards behind anything the XBOX can do and likewise if you have an older PC with an older gfx card you won't be able to select all the options such as f/s AA or something.

9. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It's fair to point out that a suitably equipped PC can run games at a higher resolution than the consoles can but once HDTV is standard consoles won't be too far behind.
    Personally I have PC and consoles and can see that both have their advantages and disadvantages graphically.

The PC has powerful graphics hardware but a mid range card costs more than any console. PC's also have more memory and this allows better quality of textures to be stored. Trilinear and Anisotropic filtering are another advantage.

Consoles on the other hand have a massive advantage. It's fair to say that the higher production values of consoles game leads to better quality artwork. Show me a PC game with the quality of art used in PGR2, DOA3, Soul Calibur 2, Zelda etc. Also PC games always look like PC games with that sort of generic rendered graphics look.

When a console is fresh any original titles, not leftovers from the previous gen, look way ahead of PC games. Think about DC Soul Calibur compared to the PC titles of the day. Sonic Adventure 2 also looked way ahead of any PC stuff at the time.

At the end of the day the individual users tastes will determine what they think look better.

10. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yep. Generic rendered look lol. I THINK NOT.

11. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks very good on me gf4400 aswell. :D

12. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    HAVE SOME MORE!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry for the big pics guys, but its worth it:)

i dont see any console comparing to those graphics (all pics taken on my pc btw) - i know my x-box doesnt lol.

13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    whats the game above halo?
    looks awesome.

14. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice :)

which game is the one with the cars?

I think Gran Turismo 3 is at par with the graphics in that one... hmm ok well every so slightly below maybe! ...but its quite an old game by today's standards!

Also I'm currently playing The Getaway on PS2 ... very impressive graphics :)

15. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    its

gta:vc
    Toca:race drive
    Halo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more toca, and more halo.

so, does anybody still think console games look better?;)
    so is toca:race driver (reletively). I could show you some sega rally 2 pics that what have your jaw drop.

16. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Console games look ****e compared to PC, James proves the point adequetly :) Halo is a classic example, it looks staggering on the PC compared to the Xbox, even on my plasma at the same resolution the PC version looks better.

Neil.

17. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    something different: n64's perfect dark emulated on my pc. its amazing what a pc can do lol

[​IMG]

Obviously not in the same legue as todays pc games but DAMN, it really breathes some life into those old n64 games:)

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    i still think halo looks quite ropey compared to anything else new on the pc.

Best graphics i've seen yet without a doubt is soul calibur 2 on xbox.

Simply amazing.

19. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go on then, show me sega rally :D

but I still think The Getaway's graphics are as good as Max Payne 2's screenshots ...if not better , in terms of polygon smoothing ... though the texturing may not be as good...

20. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    smoothing? hehe - those mp2 shot were taken at 1024x768 w/2xfsaa. its smooth at 1600x1200 w/6xfsaa lol

sega rally? lol. give me a second then.......

21. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,934
    The PS2 graphically is nowhere near as good as current state of the art PCs. It's not as good as an X-box and that's old PC technology! It's low resolution, can't do anti-aliasing or bump mapping or antrioscopic filtering etc etc...

Andy

22. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you're running a XP1700 with a Radeon 9500pro ?

pretty good results with that, if you achieve playable frame rates at those resolutions and settings :)

I'm running a XP1700 with a Radeon 8500 ... though to be honest I haven't tried maxing out the settings on any games yet, but I've increased the resolution to 1154x768 on games like Indiana Jones and the Emperor's tomb. Much better, but the polygonal structures of the characters are not as smooth as they could be

23. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    its softmodded remember - its really a 9700:) But yeah, everything posted has been silky smooth, with the exception of the notoriously slow halo lol

24. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool ... a bit of the topic here but I notice you're clocked at 10.5 x 227 ..... got any stability issues? what kind of core voltage you running with that? does your increased FSB not play up the peripherals? I'm thinking of o/cing my PC to squeeze every last detail I can from current games, without having to upgrade :D

need to keep the eye candy factor going!

25. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]yeah ok - so its not jaw dropping lol But this game was release in 98 - 5 years ago lol. its not bad at all really:)

nope, none. 'Been like that for the last 4 months withouth a hitch:)

im runinng 1.8v core, 2.8v ram. there arnt any issues with peripherals as the pc and agp us are both locked to 33mhz and 66mhz respectively. The nf7-s is one ausome board:)

26. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very impressive for a five year old game :smashin:

27. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    [​IMG]

rock solid 60fps lol
    [​IMG]
    Golf or Polo? lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:

29. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    I play both Pc and console , I think sometimes the PC games can look a bit too rendered aand can be a bit 'plasticky' looking (if thats a word)> I often think however that where consoles out perform PCs is the 'FEEL' of a game especially where the use of a gamepad is involved or when a game is ported.
    I am very happy to say however that the PES3 PC demo has retained the feel of the PS2 game and the graphics are so much better

30. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Until you play Soul Calibur 1 on the DC :D

Neil.