graphics compared to 360

kevantlin

Established Member
Reaction score
I am yet to see a wii please tell me how the graphics compare to a xbox 360

To be honest, they don't and they never will.

However, if you're mainly interested in the graphics then you've missed the whole point of the Wii :D

The games are just so much FUN and it's family/friends fun. You'll lose hours throwing yourself around the room playing Wii Sports, feel like your arms are going to drop off after 3 rounds of Rayman, and that's just to begin with. Amidst all the chaos and laughter, you'll not notice the graphics (and if you do, this isn't the console for you).

I haven't fired up my 360 in the last couple of days, even though you couldn't prise me off Rainbow Six Vegas and Viva Pinata. I'm extremely happy with the Wii.

All IMHO of course.

This reminds me of what someone said while I was queuing for a Wii on Friday morning, the guy asked how the graphics compared to a PS3 :rotfl:

From what I have read it isnt much more powerful than a Gamecube so dont bother with it if you want eye popping graphics because this isnt the console for you.

aye, the graphics were never from the very beginning designed to be in competition with 360 or PS3....

literally almost they are more in competition with the original X-box or PS2...lol....altho i'm guessing a bit better? .....it is, as the above poster says, the gameplay thats the issue ;)

on a normal TV or large plasma/LCD it will look pretty decent.....my PJ with its 86in screen might lose a little integrity, but i dont care....ZEEELLDAAAAA...lol

From what I have read it isnt much more powerful than a Gamecube

Very true. If we get down to things, the Wii is basically a GC in a new, slinky looking case with a Wiimote and extra online functionality. So far i'm having a blast, but can understand why some people wouldn't.

Hmmm .... so will the Wii 2 have PS3 level graphic power .... or is Nintendo never going to try and compete on that level ??

Yep, It's alleged to be more more powerfull than a Xbox (not 360!) but no evidence yet. (I think IGN suggested 2 to 2.5 time gamecube)

I have not yet seen any picks of anything to better Resi 4 on the 'Cube(yet).

I would guess Metroid Prime 3 will be the first game to stretch the hardware but we will see.

Though we will not see the likes of Gears of War, I started playing Viva Pinata yesterday - fun Rare game but I think it would be better on the Wii using the remote plus the graphics would be pretty suited to the Wii (Dam you Microsoft and your cheque book!!)

BUT (and this is a big but) the Wii is just fun to play!! If you want Graphics's buy a 360 but if you really want fun by a Wii as well. (Plus with a Wii it's more about you playing with the person actually next to you !! rather then over the internet.)

Nintendo really appear to be doing something different this time - a 360 is basically just an Xbox ++, the Wii (despite it's basis in Gamecube architecture), really is something new. My answer has been to buy both:D

Hmmm .... so will the Wii 2 have PS3 level graphic power .... or is Nintendo never going to try and compete on that level ??

Nintendo isn't competing on the graphics level. As everyone has said, it's basically the same as the gamecube - maybe a little bit better.

The Wii is all about the gameplay, and the fun uses of the controller. It's an ideal companion to have alongside a 360 or PS3 if you need the graphics, but also great on it's own for good family gaming fun.

It's different, and great fun. Try and get to play one - it's the only way to really see what it's like (Wii Sports and Rayman will give you a good example).

in my opinion, Nintendo have done a smart thing....make a console like the Wii that will hopefully bring them mass profit on both console AND games....then they will have more money to plug in to a true HD gen console around 2009/2010....one that will blow anything MS and Sony can do out the water.....and the bonus? they will hopefully still sell it relatively cheap....to really annoy MS and Sony...lol.....by that time most HD components will be dirt cheap to manufacuter as HD will be more commonplace.....so the only way to go is physics and gameplay.......which we all know nintendo love doing well ;)

Graphics are crap compared to the 360 but i could not care less this console is just so much fun.

360 to play single player games like Gow with great graphics
Wii to have some multiplayer fun(and to give you a sore arm)

You may we be right - the Wii is the first Nintendo console to be less powerful than the Sony version - but a lot depends on what happens this generation and if Sony can regain the good will they have lost with the PS3.

I doubt that Nintendo will ever rejoin the horsepower arms race against MS and Sony, but I expect you are right, we will see a kind of Wii Advance (with HD and 360 plus graphics before the launch of the PS4 et al)

I'm assuming that Nintendo will stay on the path of backwards compatibility in the Home, after all it's worked pretty we this the Gameboys & DS!

At the moment Nintendo looked to have bought at least another generation before having to do a Sega:smashin: (Sorry Dreamcast owners - but having played the New Sonic game:thumbsdow they deserved it!!)

IMO these two consoles compliment each other nicely, they arent competing in the same arenas. Both are excellent and lucky people have both side by side under the HDTV :D

The graphics really aren't as terrible as some make out. Games like Rayman look a notch above the vast majority of Gamecube software and the great art style of that game means its lack of technical acheivments is inconsequential.

Apparantly it's about as powerful as the XBox but also has a few improved graphical effects.

You simply don't buy a Wii for graphics, but they are good enough to do the job. There were some great looking XBox games (Ninja Gaiden, Farcry, Forza etc.) so i'm sure the Wii will have some great looking titles available (if not in comparison to 360 and PS3 games).

Basically most people will have a Wii as a 2nd (party) console and PS3 and/or 360 as the main console. I guess a new market of social gamers will develop who perhaps just buy a Wii and who knows, in turn these may migrate to the other consoles as well.

There will be a lot of old gamers who grew up with simple games on the Ataris in the 70s and 80s who come back to the Wii, I know quite a few people who didnt get on with games when they got too complicated.

Better graphics are all well and good but can anyone honestly say as games have got better graphics wise they have become increasingly more fun? In my experience one of the most enjoyable games I've played before the Wii was Guitar Hero, the graphics on said game are not great but the gameplay is out of this world. At the end of the day I buy games consoles to have fun playing games not to use as eye candy to stare at. I'm not saying the xbox 360 isn't a great console but to question another console for not going the same route is madness.

I rented GRAW the other day for the 360, as soon as I started having to remember upwards of 12 different controls forget it, far to much to remember if you leave it for a couple of day's and have to go back to it.

Better graphics are all well and good but can anyone honestly say as games have got better graphics wise they have become increasingly more fun? In my experience one of the most enjoyable games I've played before the Wii was Guitar Hero, the graphics on said game are not great but the gameplay is out of this world. At the end of the day I buy games consoles to have fun playing games not to use as eye candy to stare at. I'm not saying the xbox 360 isn't a great console but to question another console for not going the same route is madness.

To true, and if the PSP versus the DS is anything to go by it proves you don't sell consoles on graphics alone (I own a PSP not a DS by the way so not knocking Sony).

Most people just want to have a bit of fun to be honest and the average bod isn't bothered by complex games or photorealistic graphics.

The Wii is a superb product and I personally think that it will win this gerneration in terms of sales. I see it doing exactly the same for the console market that the DS did with the handheld market.

I don't think anyone know the answer to that yet, the Wii only just came out!

I wouldn't be suprised if the Playstation 4 and the next Xbox have something similar to the Wiimote (assuming it's as much success as it deserves to be). The PS3 has already blatantly copied some of the functionality with it's Six Axis controller. If this happened it'd make sense for Nintendo to try and compete a little more on specs.

I am yet to see a wii please tell me how the graphics compare to a xbox 360

I can't see the graphics on my Wii , as it is wrapped up ready for Christmas !

But i do have an Xbox360 and i think that the Wii would be able to produce graphics somewhere between an Xbox and a Xbox360

This is the first Nintendo console i have ever owned in my life.....and i can't wait to have a go on it Christmas day !

I don't think anyone know the answer to that yet, the Wii only just came out!

I wouldn't be suprised if the Playstation 4 and the next Xbox have something similar to the Wiimote (assuming it's as much success as it deserves to be). The PS3 has already blatantly copied some of the functionality with it's Six Axis controller. If this happened it'd make sense for Nintendo to try and compete a little more on specs.

Nintendo could build something twice as powerful as the 360 if they went to IBM and ATi and slapped enough money on the table.
I always fancied Nintendo and Sega getting together and building a machine and not supporting the other two, that would be a real killer just from the software side of things.
This is all about price point, and Nintendo wont compete as they are not willing to subsidize the price of hardware, they are pretty much using the same chip makers anyway, but they prefer to keep the shareholders happy, they are rolling in money.

I used to want a joint Nintendo and Sega console too - but Sega have completely lost the plot over the last few years. Very little of what made them great remains.

But i do have an Xbox360 and i think that the Wii would be able to produce graphics somewhere between an Xbox and a Xbox360
That's about right.

Zelda doesn't show the best graphics possible on the console because it is essentially a GameCube game that has Wiimote controls added.

However, Wii's CPU and GPU are approximately twice as powerful as the versions in GameCube, we should see better graphics as the platform develops. But never 360 or PS3 beating ones; but then again, neither of those platforms have graphics as good as a top-end PC.

However, Nintendo makes cash on every Wii sold -- whereas Microsoft's Xbox division has lost them billions of dollars. Nintendo are highly profitable, cash rich company, who make all their money though games.

Nintendo (highly profitable) DS continues to absolutely spank Sony (loss leader) PSP in the market, but it's graphics "aren't as good" ... does that matter?

StooMonster

To be honest there's really no need for a Wii2. By opting out of the graphics race Nintendo never need to release another console. I guess they could release another improved controller (if they come up with any more ideas) but the actual console need not change.

I see two very distinct markets opening up. There will always be a need for ever more realistic graphics and games and the likes of Sony & MS will no doubt supply the solution for that need. On the other hand there will always be a need for simply fun, social games and whilst the others have dabbled in this market, Nintendo have firmly made a statement with the Wii that they want to own that market.

The Wii is the biggest thing to happen to video gaming, pretty much since it's conception and is a perfect example of a company taking a step back and looking at an industry from a different angle. I am so happy that the Wii seems to be coming a run away success and take my hat firmly off to Nintendo.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom