1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by TERMIN8TOR, Nov 6, 2000.

1. TERMIN8TOR

TERMIN8TOR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I have an option to purchase the ATI All-in-wonder 128 Pro 32Mb AGP card or the Elsa Gladiac MX with optional TV-out module for about the same price.

Can anyone please advise which would be the better option for DVD playback. (I know that the latter is newer model with better 3D performance, I think). Thanks

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For HCPC purposes ELSA Gladiac MX would be a very good choice.

Apart from being a very good video card in its own right ELSA supports custom resolutions and timings, which can be configured directly from the supplied driver utilities. This maybe useful if you if you plan to connect a native 16:9 flat screen display of a video projector. It is generally accepted that card based on nVidia GeForce engine have the best up scaling capabilities which makes them most desirable for watching DVDs.

I have used All-In-Wonder and ELSA and have good experiences with both, I would rate ELSA the first choice. A good review of video cards can be found at www.anandtech.com and www.avsforum.com.

[This message has been edited by Branxx (edited 06-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Branxx (edited 06-11-2000).]

3. TERMIN8TOR

TERMIN8TOR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Branxx

Many thanks for your reply. However, I am confused as whether the TV-Out module will work with the Elsa Gladiac MX (not the GTS version). I read somewhere that the MX is not supported by the module.

Elsa's web site mention the module but there is no further info. I will contact hem about this.

Have you had any experience of the TV-Out feature?

4. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm, assuming you mean a composite or S-video output, then you don't really want a TV out feature. It's no better than getting a stand alone DVD player.
    The point is not to watch DVDs from your PC on a normal TV. The point is to watch them on a progressive scan TV or preferably a video projector.

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Blade on this issue. Unless your monitor is a really bad one, you will find a picture quality on your monitor far exceeding that on any TV connected via s-video. On the other hand if you have one of the newer TVs with the VGA connector than using it to connect HTPC would be an eye-opener.

I am not sure about video in/out board and GeForce MX, but I have a feeling they will work together.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The video i/o board shoyuld work with this card. I am probably going to buy one in the near future also.

I will be able to test a PC's PS VGA output on an NEC 42"PDP, and a Loweo Aconda soon!

Will report back.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

7. RobT

RobT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Branxx,
    I've had a Elsa MX for just over a week now (replacing my old Matrox G200). I've had some hassles with the lastest drivers (v4.12.01.0206-0170) (ie no D3D!), have you came across any decent Elsa MX forums similar to www.matroxusers.com as Elsa tech support seems to be a bit slow (the Elsa ng seems a bit underpopulated too).

I would also like to check out driver optimisation methods as the DVD playback quality as it doesn't appear to be as good as my G200.

Cheers

8. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    RobT,

The best forum for this issues is www.avsforum.com (home theatre computer section). You can also try doing a search on GeForce MX. I don't use the same card as you (mine is ELSA GLadiac) but there have been a lot of posts regarding MXcards. You may need to get the latest drivers from the nVidia site.

9. RobT

RobT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta!

10. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that the Elsa cards are hideous at producing an interlaced signal !!

Beware for ordinary TV

Regards

------------------
    Stewart C

An amateur but an enthusiast

11. TERMIN8TOR

TERMIN8TOR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All
    Thanks for the above responses. I couldn't resist and have ended up buying a Elsa MX for £90.

Stewart C
    Not sure what you mean by interlaced signal. Does it affect all TVs?

I have not bought the TV in/out module yet. If the TV out feature is going to be poor, I might not even buy it at all (only need it for occaisonal viewing on widescreen TV). Sorry, but I can't afford the projectors yet!

Cheers.

12. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All TV's work in decoding an interlaced signal compared to a computer monitor which operates in a Progressive scan mode.

Progressive scan is much better that interlaced although there is debate over high end signals such as 720p and 1080i. For your use it would be better to run a 21" or bigger computer monitor to give the best results.

Many pundits in HCPC's suggests that using a dedicated DVD player will give much better results on your standard TV.

Regards

------------------
    Stewart C

An amateur but an enthusiast