1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Cards & Video Editing

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Canary_Jules, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Hi. I may be about to buy a new graphics card and am looking at a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256mb. I play quite a few games, but also do quite a bit of video editing and DVD production with Pinnacle Studio 8. Just wondering what difference the extra 128mb of ram makes with the video editing though? Will it make any or should I save a tenner and go for the 128mb version? It's a noob question I know, but how much strain does video editing (especially the rendering process which seems to take hours in Pinnacle) put on the graphics card as opposed to the CPU?

Interested to see what people think. And if you use a 9600XT I'm also interested in what you think of it as a card.

Cheers!

Jules

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Video editing does not use the graphics card when rendering etc. The graphics card is only used to display the video in the monitor window, so with extra memory you will probably be able to have a larger monitor window and the video still play smoothly.

Mark.